Ratty distortion on 70 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by steveb, Feb 7, 2010.

1. steveb

steveb Member

I have a 70 Deluxe Reverb that I haven't played in a few months & decided to bring it to rehearsal yesterday. I did okay for a hour or so, & then started making a few noises. I switched to another amp for the rest of the rehearsal, but checked the Deluxe later on. The reverb channel of the amp sounds good until about 5, & then starts making a ratty, busted speaker sound as the volume is increased to 9, but then, the nastiness decreases a bit at 10.

The normal channel does not sound as bad as the reverb channel.
    Tried plugging into another speaker & the nasty sound is still there.
    Tried all different preamp tubes, & the nasty sound is there, too.
    I tightened the power tube sockets, & it made no difference.

I made a recording, but the nastiness is not as noticable as in person, but you'll hear it. I start off playing with the volume at 4, then increase it a bit during the recording until reaching full volume. Bass & treble on 4.
    http://www.sbkustoms.com/music/amps/70 deluxe reverb.mp3

The power supply caps were changed before I got the amp, but the rest of the caps look to be original.

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

My vote is a bad 25mf cathode bypass cap.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

While you got it apart might as well do 'em all and
    the Power supply electrolytics too.

4. steveb

steveb Member

Thanks.
    I have 3 other Fender amps that I changed all the electrolytics on the circuit board not long after getting them, & it escapes me why I never did this one, too.

5. JJman

JJman Member

My '71 was doing this recently. I had removed the anti-oscillation grid-to-ground caps from the 6v6 tubes previously. So I changed their grid wires to shielded and the problem went away. Same story on my '74 VC.