Raves about my new Surf Tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lawrencedesigns, May 6, 2008.

1. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

For quite awhile I have been unhappy with my Keely modded Boss TR-2. It was just too noisy. What I have been looking for is just simple, 60's surf music Fender amp type tremolo to sweeten my Blues Jr.
    Well, it's done! Yesterday I took delivery of a Carl Martin Tremolo and I couldn't been more pleased! Its simple, organic, smooth as silk, and best of all....Totally Quiet!!!
    Doesn't appear to suck tone at all. I'm just blown away.

Keeth Lawrence

2. tommc

tommc Member

I've just had a similar experience and was about to write the same thread. I recently bought a used Gries 5 here on TGP. The amp is so dead quiet, it has exposed all my noisy pedals. I asked Dave Gries, the builder of the amp, for a tremolo recommedation and he said he uses the Carl Martin Surf Trem. So, I picked up a new one ($90 from an Ebay store) and it sounds great with this amp. No noise, and no volumne drop like my Boss TR-2.

A great pedal for plain old, two knob vintage trem. If you need tap trem, waveform control and all that, then keep looking.

I'm so impressed with this pedal I have now ordered the Carl Martin Red Repeat Delay from the same Vintage series.

I'm kinda surprised that I've never seen these mentioned here before and I don't think I've ever seen either one in the emporium. I know you won't be seeing mine in the emporium any time soon..... Check them out

3. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

Let us know what you think of the Red Repeat when it arrives. Thanks.

4. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

This might have something to do with the very negative review one received a few months back in GP magazine. I know it scared me away from trying one. They called it "uninspiring" or something like that. Maybe the reviewer was just having a bad day?

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Regarding the RR...just use a regulated powersupply....we need to ditch that compartment for the 9v battery....at best it lasts some 20 min....then it dips below 8.5v and the compander shuts down, and everything become nasty and dissapears alltogether...
    Just thought that you could need the headsup!
    Niels
    P'S Regarding the ST....it is basicly a 9v version of the Trem'O'Vibe....alittle different but same VCA(obsolete) is used...(we bought a humongeous amount of those)....it is slightly more choppy than the TOV.

6. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I'm a member at the Surfguitar101 forum, and lots of them really love the Surf Tremolo.