raw guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by noisemaker, Feb 20, 2009.

1. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

anybody has a guitar with just raw wood (meaning no finish and no lacquer)????

hows that working?

2. supahsekzy

supahsekzy Member

directly from Warmoth (http://warmoth.com):

"If you must play a raw neck, that's cool; it's ok. A neck is just a tool. Just be aware of the risk. If yours does the pretzel act, we don't want to hear about it."

So I guess from a manufacturing / selling standpoint you can't sell it raw - at least a neck raw - in order to cover your ass. Raw necks don't have the necessary structural integrity to resist the string tension... (according to warmoth of course)

3. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

haha actually i was talking about bodies but :AOK

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

My old strat had the body stripped of finish long before I got it. Luckily that bonehead didn't touch the neck. I'm very used to it by now.

5. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

cool.. pic maybe?

6. supahsekzy

supahsekzy Member

Well there probably isn't any issue of structural integrity with a raw body, like there might be with a raw neck. I also don't see the advantage of it with the exception of people who can hear the difference between a finished and a raw body..?

When the back of a neck is raw, though... it feels NICE.

7. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

well i've had my USAGC raw for the last 4 1/2 years and it still plays great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I don't think a finished neck is any stronger than a raw neck, but a raw neck is more susceptible to damage caused by moisture. The finsih is a moisture barrier that can help prevent swelling and warping of the wood.

I think this is much less of an issue with a body, since it is not under the same stress and is a bit larger.

9. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

cool :)

10. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

What's the difference in sound between a finished and unfinished maple neck?

11. nomadh

nomadh Member

My strat neck is stripped maple. The fingerboard it a total dirt magnet. Its been great for years and its the first strat I ever played that the neck didn't drive me crazy with that grippy urethane crap. I saw recently that warmoth won't warranty raw maple but if ok with many other woods raw. Anyone know whats special about maple? I figured its one of the toughest woods but just gets dirty so quickly.