Raw Vintage saddles - opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Paul Conway, May 1, 2013.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Has anyone changed out block saddles for Raw Vintage ones? E.g. on a gotoh 1088....any impressions?

2. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

I love them. I replace the saddles on my EJ strat when they slowly start to worn out (i use gauge 0.011 strings). the strings start cutting into the old saddles and slowly creating burr, and it makes it so i broke the strings a lot on the saddles.

very vintage tone wise, i like how it doesn't really change the tone too much like most other saddles (titanium or heavier metal) and i haven't seen a single cut into the saddle from my strings. My strings used to go out of tunes whenever i push the vibrato bar with the old saddles.

with this one, it never go out of tune. YMMV

3. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I put some on a vintage fender style trem. I always break strings on the fender vintage style saddles. I tried the raw vintage because the metal is supposed to be harder. I don't have issues breaking strings and to me the saddles sound better than then Fender saddles.

4. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I bought a set when they first came out. They're on my EJ Strat also. Love them. It added to the volume and resonance the guitar had while unplugged, and made it beefier sounding plugged in.

5. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Good stuff. Thickened things up nicely.

6. CS'56

CS'56 Member

The machining of the raw vintage saddles are also more detailed than the Fender or Callaham saddles.

7. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

I replaced my Fender-stamped with Raw Vintage, and the tone when picked close to the strings went from shrill to pretty sweet.
    Also, the elongated string-slot eliminated most of my tuning issues.

8. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I've been a Luthier for 35 years & I'd love to know what a very vintage saddle sounds like.

9. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I've used Callaham, Raw Vintage, and stock Fender bent steel.

I'm back to stock Fender bent steel.

There are benefits to the boutique stuff, I guess. But I never had a problem with OEM steel. Same with blocks. Back to OEM there, too.

The only Strat trem Kool Aid that I drank and still sticks with me: the Raw Vintage springs and the Callaham plate... both noticeably improve action... the plate due to fulcrum location, the springs due to... I dunno. They just do.

The most dramatic change I've personally experienced was a swap from the OEM trem block and saddles to Callaham on an American Standard. It was then I became a believer in steel. But CS & AVRI systems (the same??) ain't too shabby.

10. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

go buy the raw vintage saddles. ;)

Ok serious answer.

i tried callaham saddles before. and they change the tone a bit too much to my taste, it makes the strat sounds very full lots of sustain and very fat. the samething with ti saddles, makes the guitar brighter by a lot.

raw vintage saddles is pretty close to the original fender stamped bent steels saddles on my EJ strat. but it has better clarity and a little scopped mid, the high e note sounds solid. and it doesn't fatten my tone or change the core tone of the guitar too much. it warm up my strat a tad in a good way. the bass response is much punchier than the fender bent steels saddles. it gives a more depth to the overall tone, it was a good improvement to my ears. so the saddles stay. i do have to buy a shorter screws since the one they provide is a bit too tall.

and whatever steels they used, i haven't notice a single groove in there. i have been using it for only a year so far. i do hear an audible different when i replace the saddles to raw vintage.

this is my experience on using this saddles though. i'm not endorsed by them so this is my honest user experience.

and again YMMV, since everyone has a different set of ears. products like this really boils down to personal taste really.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

The Raw Vintage stuff is just great. I have the springs and saddles on my guitar. Some people say the springs add a little more natural reverb? Not sure about that, but they are very fluid. My Xotic's tuning stability is fantastic and I believe it's due to not only the set up but the springs. The saddles are great, I don't break strings and the guitar rings nice and loud. Just some good stuff. Callaham makes some great stuff too. As does Killer Guitar Components, I have their brass block.

Our Raw Vintage 5760 humbucker is the best humbucker I've ever heard. Not only great tone, but great "feel". Hope you guys can check it out.

12. contryman

contryman Member

What size RW saddles have you put on EJ strat?

13. richey88

richey88 Member

I like the springs too...

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Nice balanced tone but they ware quite quickly with burrs and grooves .

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

The technical term is...they get rid of the plink-plink/plinkinress;)

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Tomo

Tomo Member

I like RV stuff.

Tomo