rawer, grosser, crunchier

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Nov 8, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

It seems like there are two aesthetics in OD/Distortion type pedals.

The big one is the sort of super-smooth OD, the SRV/Eric Johnson/Robben Ford stuff. Include Billy Gibbons and Cream in there too. So much of the stuff pushed around here tends to be in that style. Most of the effects I have is oriented towards that. My big database of pedals-I-want is from there.

The other one is crunchy, broken up, and nasty. Stuff like, say, Hubert Sumlin', Neil Young's garage stuff, noise and punk stuff (like Boris, which I've been trying to talk up in the Sound Hound lounge), like Link Wray, like a lot of the early Seattle grunge stuff, like a lot of garage rock in general.

What sort of pedals - OD, distortion, fuzz, etc. - do you use/recommend for the crunchier stuff?

Current short-list from researching on this site:

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    Catalinbread SCOD
    Hellbilly

Extra brownie points for stuff that's very flexible (with the flexibility usable gigging) and responsive to picking dynamics.

-thi

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

very interesting thread

i tend to belong to the 2nd "raw" category (Sumlin + NYoung = :cool: but doesnt sum it up), and i'm looking for the perfect OD pedal at low volumes, and dunno if what i would like (Tim, Eternity, Mosfet FD2) would fit that bill

3. rorschah

rorschah Member

is the fuzzprobe different from the fuzz factory?

4. drolling

drolling Member

I guess I'm in the 'smooth' category. When I first plugged in the E, I thought; "Holy Falkner. My amp is twice as loud - AND BROKEN!!"

Link Wray punched holes in his speakers to get 'the sound', but I'm sure there's better ways of doing that today.

When I was a kid in garage bands (all I could afford was point-to-point tube amps) I could get it sometimes for a few minutes, invariably followed by a small fire, then dead silence.

Some of those octave fuzzes do a nice job of that 'amp's-about-to-blow-up' sound without permanent damage (to the amp, not your hearing). PE Experience comes to mind...

BTW, I'm still using the Eternity w/*other* chip.

5. cameron

cameron Member

I don't think the Hellbilly should be on that list. It's a very cool pedal, but doesn't have enough raunch on tap for what it sounds like you're looking for.

I too have little use for the smooth "Dumble" style distortions.

For the raunchy crunchy stuff, I'd point you to the Fulltone OCD, the various RAT variants, and Big Muff style fuzz pedals (as opposed to Tone Bender or Fuzz Face style fuzzes.)

Also some of the "amp in a box" pedals that promise Marshall-ish sounds might be good. I haven't tried one in a while. The Menatone King of the Britains didn't do it for me when I tried it, but there's a new version of it out. The Menatone Top Boost in a Can is excellent, but once again, not so raunchy as what it seems you're looking for.

The best amp-like OD for use in front of a clean amp, that gives enough raunch for punk rock, that I've tried, is the OCD.

6. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

Hellbilly HOT. ;)

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

For raunch my benchmark is the original Marshall Gov'ner. That thing had teeth.

:dude

I don't go for fuzzes much but the Super Fuzz and clones are pretty fierce.

Bob

8. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

The Zvex Octane III when NOT trying to be an octave box makes some really great "crashy" OD. I am still hoping to try the Zvex Mammoth as well and have a Fuzz Factory. The FF gets REALLY gnarley but can have too much high end and a bit too little low end...though I love the various sounds it makes. Velcro ripping to fritzzed out gated sputtering.

Then there is Effector 13 (which I don't have) but seems like they take skrunkley to the extreme. Check out the sound samples here...http://www.effector13.com/pedals/tornspeaker/index.html

Talk about "distorted"...

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

try www.ts808.com jacques has some very cool pedals i have a fuseblower 2 that is a nice VERY dynamic fuzz. he makes a pedal called the bat fuzz which sounds right up your alley, use IE 6 for the sound samples (he has a lot of them)

10. cameron

cameron Member

Yeah, the Torns Peaker is quite nasty. but the original poster wrote

I'd be leery of using the Torn on stage. Maybe with a compressor after it in the signal chain. It'd be a cool thing to have around in the studio, though. I have the same feelings about the Fuzz Factory. Great studio tool. Not so giggable.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Rat with Keeley mod - if you want to go further, find and old LPB 2 (floor pedal version) - those things are super nasty!

12. rorschah

rorschah Member

Wow. Tons of options.

What's the current range of Big Muff and Super Fuzz copies anyway?

Thanks, guys. Great info.

-thi

13. elctmist

elctmist Guest

I would try the SCOD. Into a clean amp it really gets that pissed off cranked Fender sound with the gain up and contour down. It also thickens up my Fuzzprobe very nicely.

DJ

14. Jack

Jack Member

I think the Bad Monkey is an aggressive sounding pedal. It's got some angry mids and sounds raw to my ear compared to other TS variants.

15. cameron

cameron Member

I'm not sure about "Super Fuzz" variants . . .

But good choices along the lines of a modern Big Muff are things like the Frantone Sweet, or the J. Everman Ultra Drive.

Another option for interesting retro fuzz would be a Fuzzrite style fuzz. The Mosrite Fuzzrite was one of the earliest fuzz boxes widely available in the 60s. You can hear its nasty-ass tone on lots of 60s garage rock classics (think of Davie Allen and The Arrows playing on B movie soundtracks). I have a nifty Fuzzrite clone called a FUZZbright, made by a company out of PA called Ashbass. Pretty cool. There was another Fuzzrite type device around a few years ago called the Fuzzwrong. It was a work of art, in its way, but I don't think they make them any more.

16. elctmist

elctmist Guest

All that said I've never heard anyone or anything that really duplicates Hubert Sumlin's tone. Marc Ribot gets close sometimes but he uses everything from a Tech21 Double Drive to a RAT to a Danelectro Pastrami. The Pastrami, incidently, is a great cheap way to get a disgustly snotty OD tone.

17. Occam

Occam Member

Always good to see Boris get a mention...I've been a fan for years and it was great to finally see them play live a few weeks ago. Anyways one pedal I like is the Homebrew Electronics Germacide into my already dirty Matamps....it's more along the lines of Sleep's Dopesmoker but huge, thick, raw and crunchy....I'm sure there's a hooker joke in there somewhere but I'll just leave it alone

18. rorschah

rorschah Member

Why'd you settle on the GainFxxker after touring all that other stuff?

19. blackout_kyle

blackout_kyle Member

Wow, a Boris mention and a Sleep mention! :RoCkIn

20. blackout_kyle

blackout_kyle Member

BTW, I just picked up an Ultra-Lord - and that is some very nasty fuzz! All settings seem to be extreme - no subtlety in that box whatsoever.

(it's already been banned from use when the lady is home)