Rawkworks Light OD - Volume Knob Sweep

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by twp, Apr 9, 2015.

1. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

The sweep of the volume knob on my Light OD (a V2) seems unusual to me... I need it up at around 3:00 (with the gain at 9:00) to get unity gain. That means there's only a slight bit of headroom left to boost the volume.

Any other users notice this? Is that a standard sweep for Klon-ish circuits, unique to the Light OD, or something wierd about this particular unit?

2. hambone3x3

hambone3x3 Supporting Member

I can confirm that my light od v2 performs as yours does. Very little left to go once past unity. I have no other klones, klon or ktr for comparison, so I'm no help there.

3. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I run volume and gain both around noon for a light OD sound....so not an issue for me, but can I recommend the Night OD? It has much mor gain and is incredible as a clean boost, light OD, medium OD, and can start to get into heavy OD at its max.....I prefer it to the Light (have both), but use them both on my board for two different sounds

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

That is not typical of Klon circuits, in my experience. Unity gain is typically around 9-10 o'clock on the volume knob with the gain all the way off.

5. twp

Good info, thanks all. pale_fire, I do actually run a Night OD as well; thats part of what prompted my question. The Night OD's volume sweep feels much more natural to me, compared to the Light OD. But together (Light OD + Night OD) they make a powerful tone-shaping combination!

6. stellablue

stellablue Member

Same thing on my BYOC silver pony. The difference is most likely the result of different pot taper.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. pale fire

The Night is pretty unreal.....I feel like if I had three of them on the board I could set one as a GREAT clean boost (gain all the way down), one as a mild OD, and one with the gain all the way up for crunchy great OD!

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

that's exactly what i do. might end up putting the second night o.d. closer to the end of the signal chain as a test.
    [​IMG]

9. twp

I basically do have that lineup.... first in my chain is a Voyager set as a clean boost. Its Klon-ish, according to many, though not a Klone. OD 1 is Light OD, gain at 9:00 (volume about 3:00, for unity volume). OD 2 is Night OD, normally at 12:00 gain and 3:00 level. If I do any tweaking its normally to the Night OD.

I haven't played all the ODs out there but I've played a lot of 'em, and its tough to imagine one that would bump the Night OD from its place of honor!

10. pale fire

Agreed with TWP and teefus; best ODs I have ever played / heard....the Night with the gain down and the volume up is such a great clean boost - extremely transparent but bring a lot of (as we used to say in Philly) "addytude". Gain up is really wonderful crunch....
    great graphics too!

11. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I had a v1 Light OD - quality quality OD. I just didn't mesh well with the middy-ness. It's slight, but there. But you may be after that sound! Wish i still had it in fact!

12. twp

Re-vectoring the thread a bit, how do you have your Night OD dip switches set?

Mine is V1 with internal dip switches. I *think* I have mine in position 2.... I set them a long time ago and am not sure. I just set them based on the sound & feel, but the other day on Rawkworks facebook page I noticed this tech info about the Night OD dip switches:

Dip Switch Position 1 - Bat41 diodes (smooth, compressed)
    Dip Switch Position 2 - 1n270 diodes (crunchier, open)

13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

both of my night o.d's have an internal trim pot but no dip switches.