RC Boost before or after BB Preamp ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hollowbodyhead, Jul 26, 2006.

1. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

What do you think? Pro and cons.

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I like to push the front of my BB for the special sauce.

3. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I just mentioned this in another thread.....for my purpose I put the RC after the BB and set the RC volume at about 3 oclock and it gives my a nice big volume boost!

4. froglord

froglord Member

I can get ludicrous amounts of sustain if I put the RC before the BB and set the dials right.

5. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have been running the RC after the BB just to boost the sound of the BB and maybe add just a small amount of grit. I currently have an OCD before the BB.

6. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Exactly my order......OCD-BB-Black Cat-RC

Black Cat works great for syrupy thick tones with OCD

RC works great for leads on top of the BB....

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

I like RC>BB but if you wanted a level boost for solos then the other way around works too.

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I thought the RC was usually used first so the rest of the pedals get a beter signal unless you have a compressor first.

9. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I think its a matter of what you want it to do.....I believe someone said with the RC first when kicked in over the BB you get a little more syrupy compressed lead tone......for me using it after the bb it works sort of like an eq with a volume boost for leads....or both on and use volume knob to suit

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

It definitely depends upon what you want to do. If you're looking to goose the distortion on the BB, definitely run it before with some grit. It can make the overall sound a bit more "touch sensitive" on top of an already saturated signal (which you can dial in on the RC while letting the BB run hot). It can definitely add a second layer to the BB.

If you run it after the BB, you can boost the tone for leads, maybe making it a little bit more present, or thicker adding a bit of loose clipping on top of the sound, but you're not adding another gain stage to your distortion.

Brett

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

am I the only person here that doesn't think the BB pre is NOT EVEN close to distortion clipping?

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Right and just in general when stacking two drives I think of them as the way the preamp and power amp work together in an amp.... crank the pre and bring down the master -- or drop the preamp level and crank the master to work t he power tubes more......

Depends on if you want smooth 'cranked preamp tube' distortion/comression or a more dynamic touch sensitive power tube type crunch.....

if you have a distorting circuit and put a boost AFTER it the distorting circuit just gets louder........ if you feed it either a louder signal in front it will distor and compress more or if you feed it a distorting circuit it will 're-distort' that signal and get even more complex.......

the overall amount of compression will effect the PERCIEVED EQ and Distorion too.....:YinYang

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

14. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

I just took delivery of a BB yesterday and spent a bit of time last night with it. So far, using just my LP, I tried it on the clean channel of my Mesa DC-5 (loved it), tried it into the amp drive channel (loved it), and tried a BYOC Triboost into the BB into the clean channel (loved it too). I have the feeling that the BB will play nice with everyone in the playground. However, I do think that in a band context it will probably be necessary to have something in front and something behind (perhaps I will need two more BB's :rolleyes: ). They are certainly tiny enough that they don't take up much space.

_________
    Chris

15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

No, I agree that it isn't heavy on its own (not a fuzz at all, but can be more aggressive sounding when you boost the treble and bass a bit). It's more of a "smooth" OD pedal, but it gets nice and thick when you stack it, and I think it works on its own at higher volume levels.

Brett