RC Booster is a Killer!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Oct 15, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

First off, thanks to Shane (58LesPaulMan) for a quick/fair transaction. The RC arrived in perfect condition, as promised.

I love this thing. I've had a Bad Bob as my primary clean boost for the past couple of years, but the RC does what the BB can do and is way more versatile. It has enough of the high end sparkle of the BB due to the high impedance input (not as high as the BB) and it provides a great flat EQ boost. Plus the gain control is a great feature. Didn't know what I was missing.

Like the BB, my guitars feel more sensitive and dynamic and it's impossible to turn it off. But the RC has a flatter EQ and you can control the grit. The BB always has a set amount of grit no matter where it's set. That always bugged me when playing jazz or country. So now, I can get a totally clean boost or any variation of grit. Nice!

The RC is killer IMO. Thanks again Shane!

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

+1
    Ditto

I call the RC the Remote Control

It's like having another amp front panel at your feet,

Great pedal.

3. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I really like mine. It can actually add more distortion/grit than I normally think of when considering a "booster" pedal. I need to send mine back for the new switch, though. Mine's on the fritz.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Unburst, JeffD:
    Thanks for the feedback!

What are your most common settings?

5. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Usually I keep the bass and treble on the middle detent, depending on the amp and guitar. Bright amp and guitar, might lower the treble a bit. I put the gain control at around 11 (on the clock face) or noon, and adjust volume to hit the amp a little harder than the guitar otherwise would do. It seems to fatten the sound. The pedal adds just a little compression, IMHO, which is good for what I want.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I use it all kinds of ways depending on the situation.

At home I'll use to goose up the low end of my practice amp, or maybe run it after an O/D pedal to get some post gain eq. (though I like it in front of the BB as a boost as that has it's own post gain eq)

Through a big amp I'll run the eq fairly flat, maybe a touch of top end, then add gain and volume to taste.

Sometimes I use it to balance up the bridge and neck pup, maybe set the amp for the bridge then use the RC to cut a little bass/add top end for the neck.

One cool application is to run it as a cut pedal instead of a boost, you can set the amp for your crunch tone then roll back the gain and volume on the RC to get a clean tone, add a little eq and you got a preset, footswitchable clean "channel"

I don't really use it as a "boost" more as an eq pedal, usually it's never off and I tweak it for different sounds.

Last night I had a session and I was playing in the control with my amp out in the recording area.
    I set my amp roughly to the sound I was using then did all the tweaking in the control room with the RC.
    Worked really great and with the RC and BB preamp I got all the sounds I needed without having to tweak the amp once.

btw Xotic's site has some great videos of guys using the RC, check out Dean Parks.

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/index.html

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Unburst. I've already checked out the Xotic site - lots of great videos there.

Anyone else want to share settings or placement in your signal path. I've routinely used my Bad Bob first in the chain, as it likes to see the input from the pickups, and it a great line driver. I suspect the RC is at least as good, if not far superior on this front. But sometimes driving the input of other pedals becomes an issue (like with a Deluxe Memory Man) - sometimes it's great (like with OD/distortion pedals.

Maybe I'll start with the RC last and see what I get.

8. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Hey

Another RC fan here. I run mine first in line and use it as a line driver, but with a bit of added gain. I keep the bass at noon, the treble rolled back a little (around 11 o'clock), the gain around 8 or 9 o'clock and the volume set so it's just a bit louder with the pedal on. I've also used it as a boost for solos and leads (with the gain and volume up a bit more) and it sounds great that way, too. It's really handy on sessions - it makes it easy to tweak your tone from song to song, especially if you are using different guitars. I think the BB Preamp is next on the list - I'll probably order one next week.
    I wish every company had as many demo videos as Xotic does. I'd love to know how many pedals they've sold as a result. It's some really smart marketing combined with great products.

jz

9. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Just gigged with mine fir the first time today. I ran it into a Mesa DC-3 and liked it a lot. Seems to be pretty versatile. I agree that it seems to add a little compression to the tone.

jeffhef

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I'm glad I can be of service.. RC is one of my favorite also, just happen to have an extra..

Xotic has two new boosters out for the Bass Guitar.. Check them out. RC, and BB for the bass.. WOW I'd bet they would sound good for the guitar also, and I'd bet they have more head room because bass guitar has more output in there pickups..