RC Booster or Bad Bob

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brian Chan, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Hey folks

I want to buy a Clean boost pedal (but I will turn it on all the time for rouding up the tone) So if you were me, which one will you choose? RC Booster or Bad Bob?;)

2. drolling

drolling Member

Well, the RC's a lot more expensive, but it's got an very flexible EQ and you can control the amount of 'grit' added to the boost. The BadBob's got a fixed amount of grit so you can't get it to run as clean as the RC.

3. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

HBE uno mos might work. I built a similar circuit for myself and it really rounds out the tone and gives a good clean boost to the signal.

Scott

4. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Check out Alex Anest's Pedals at Phoenix Custom Electronics. He makes a multitude of boosts, and does custom work at little to no extra cost. I think you might find them a perfect fit, and at 120 for a boost, it won't break the bank. I personally own his "ranger" pedal which is flat out amazing. He makes at least 2 other boosts. I recommend writing to him, because he is fantastic at working with customers... In my opinon, he's the best at customer service in the boutique effect buisness, and his product exemplifies it.

5. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

got any link for that?

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Great question! Both are great at boosting and adding that very cool sparkle/energy to your tone. I've been staying with the RC, but it's a good bit more expensive.

7. Rhythmeen

Rhythmeen Member

I was facing the same decision you are recently. I narrowed my choices down to the same 2 boosts....RC or BadBob. Nowhere in my area carries either pedal, so my decision would be based on Internet research...clips,chat,etc.....I play a Suhr Strat, mostly neck p/u. The pedal would be used to boost a Fargen DC (BF side). I found some info on another forum that stated that the BB had a bigger,fatter sound in this same application. The RC was a cleaner boost, but it seemed to thin the sound out a little. I went with the Bad Bob, and have to say it works for me...GREAT. It does add some grit, but it's good grit. It just drives the front end a little, so you get a natural sounding breakup sooner,at a lower volume. It definitely fattens up the sound, a good thing.I didn't lose any bloom/swirl/tone from the set up either. It gets hard to cut the pedal out, once you use it a while. I would like to try an RC myself, and compare the 2...but right now I'm very happy with the Bad Bob Boost. Look around for info on the 2 pedals on the SRV discussion forum, and check into TT's sound samples also, for a reference.

8. b_rad

b_rad Member

Both pedals are great. If you need the flexibility go with the RC, if you like simplicity the Bob might be the better choice. I've been using a Bad Bob myself for nearly 3 years, and I still like it. It seems like the only spot on my board that never changes. :)

9. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I noticed something on my RC- if you raise the gain to about 9:00, the midrange gets fatter without any noticeable (pickup dependent of course). You can do this without a volume boost by compensating with the output level, and adjust the hi and low as desired.

gb

10. RickB

RickB Member

I just got a brand spankin' new RC from Brad at ToneFactor two days ago. He just got more of them in and I was waiting to get one. I got to check it out last night and I was very happy with it. I have been through a few clean boosts but really wanted/needed one that had separate bass and treble controls. The RC does exactly what I wanted and it sounds really great at it. Very flexible. Great build quality as well.