RC Booster Vs. Catalinbread SCP shootout!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Well, I happened to find a fellow gearwhore (not from this forum), and we got together for a gearfest.

Anyhow, he had an RC booster, and hearing the great praises I've come across, I just had to A/B it with my Super Chile Picoso. He was kind enough to let me borrow it, so here's what I've found after about 30 minutes of playin with em.

Signal went:
    Les Paul -> RC Booster -> SCP (tearfully pried from my board) -> Marshall AVT275 clean channel (I know, I know. But I get it to work for me, and it sounds great). I didn't stack the 2 pedals, tried 'em both out one at a time

Setting Number 1:
    It wasn't too hard to A/B the two, as the SCP only has 1 knob. I tried to set the RC Booster as transparent as possible, which meant turning down the treble knob a bit (about 10:00), bass at 12:00, little bit of gain, and level at unity. For the SCP, I also had the knob at minimum (unity).

The SCP, IMO, beats the RC, though the RC is a great pedal. If you want an always-on type pedal, I'd recommend the SCP, as it adds a sparkle that is not so easy to define (something in the mids), but it really brings out your note clarity. The RC improved the tone as well, but it wasn't as noticeable.

Setting Number 2:

This involved using them both as a lead boost. For the RC, I turned up the gain to about 10:00, and turned up the volume to a suitable boost, equal to the SCP's knob at 2:00. I turned up the bass knob on the RC as well in order to provide some extra thump, trying to match the extra mids the SCP provides.

Again, the SCP won out. The RC just couldn't hold a candle to the SCP in bringing out note definition and making my tone sound more full and clear.

Conclusion:

If you want an "always-on" type pedal to enhance your tone, go for the catalinbread. If you want a flexible lead boost that goes from ultra transparent to little bit of gain to treble boost to whatever, go for the RC. It is a great pedal, and worth the hype. But if you want a lead boost with note definition, sparkle, and tone improvements, I can't praise the SCP enough.
    These are my findings, and I'm sharing them. Feel free to debate, or trash my choice in amplifier or whatever!

Btw, stacking the RC booster as a low gain (with the gain knob maxxed) and the SCP gave me a great low/mid gain overdrive sound. These two pedals stack together really well. I want to buy a second SCP to leave on all the time, but I'm thinking of buying an RC booster, using that as a transparent lead boost, and put my current SCP first in line and always leave it on; as I do not know if two scp's would be overkill.

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

The mids on the RC is in the gain knob. It's a pretty transparent boost with the volume up and the gain down, but when reversed it gets more mids.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I did turn the gain up, and still found the SCP was superior at what it did.

However, I'll do another test with this new morsel of info. Thanks!

4. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'd like to find another pedal to replace the RC, it does something in the lowend. I don't really know how to explain it, it's just different.

I'll have to look into this pedal you're talking about.

5. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

The RC is unbeatable IMHO. It beat my Klon off the board. Maybe the SCP "adds" soemthing kind alike a SHO? The RC is as transparent as you want.

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

Funny, I didn't care for the RC at all. It sounded "cold" to me. I compared the RC, the SexDrive, and the SCP, and I kept the Super Chile. The other pedals may be more versatile but they didn't sound as good to me.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Tried it out. Was able to get a fuller sound turning the gain up to add some mids. However, the gain that was added was more than I wanted (though still not a lot). Also, if it was to be used strictly as an OD pedal, as someone mentioned, the "dirt" was a little bit cold to me as well.

If you want more dirt when you click on the boost, go for the RC. If you want utter transparency, go for the RC. If you want something that thickens up your tone yet allows each note to come through all sparkly and cleanly (though a tiny bit of dirt comes in around 3:00), go for the SCP. This is whether you run it with clean or dirty channel, though I can only vouch for running it post-gain

For the record, I have yet to hear anyone describe the SCP other than "changes your tone, but makes it better".

As always, though, YMMV :BEER

Oh, and believe it or not, I did do this with a completely open-mind. I'm glad that my SCP is a keeper!

8. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I think I'll have to try the SCP!

9. el34power

el34power Member

I have both the SCP and one of these..
    http://goudiefx.com/prod04.htm

Pretty much the same thing, cept for the buffer option wich i don't use.....And the price diff..
    BTW thanks for the plug..plug. i ordered some from an ebay seller. Came out to $17.??can. shipped.

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I really love my SCP, no need to look for another.

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Same for me as well. Didn't get along as well as most. Must be my playing! :horse

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I hear the catalinbread SCP is the same circuit as the Tri-booster's mosfet boost. Both of which are the same circuit as the AMZ mini booster. I just like the fact that the tri booster has the option of 3 other boost sounds.

13. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

It's not safe to assume that two things are the same because they're both based on AMZ designs. Jack Orman has several designs. The RGW Bad Bob and Catalinbread SCP are both based on Jack's designs and both sound very different.

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Oh, my bad. I dont know about the bad bob (maybe modified version as is the fulltone fatboost), but I have heard jack say that they are both (scp and triboost's mosfet side of the triboost) the same design(amz mini booster), but only the scp has jack's permission to use the AMZ mini booster design. Also the SCP has a buffer so it would make everything sound better in this "true bypass" pedal land. I would go for the SCP if you were interested in the buffer. Whereas I use the germanium treble boost and mosfet side of my tri-boost.

15. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

The reason the two sound different is because the Catalinbread SCP is the Orman BS170 mosfet Boost Circuit (also the same as the BYOC Triboost 'mosfet' setting), and the RGW Bad Bob is the Orman Mini-Boost circuit (as is the Fulltone Fat Boost, but the Fat Boost has a few added controls).

The Orman mosfet-boost and the Orman mini-boost are two fairly different circuits that yield pretty different tonal end results... Both are great circuits!

16. panosy

panosy Member

How does the SCP cleanup when put in the beggining of the chain? That is to say when put Guitar-SCP-Fuzz-Wah-other ods etc..

I have a Nick Greer Sonic Boom that has an impossible sound, I think it should be pretty similar to the SCP but when put first in chain I cant play with my guitar volume, seems like it has a threshold and below that the sound kind of dies suddenly..

Is the SCP more linear, RC-type?

17. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

That's what I love about my "name withheld for fear of spamming criticism". It has a super-transparent EQ. What's cool is that the bass and treble are interactive, yet if you change the gain or the master volume, the EQ settings remain the same. So this way you can set the EQ controls to where they sound good, and then set the amount of gain you want and turn up the master, and it retains the EQ setting and you don't gain any unwanted mids or lose bass or treble. Very cool and very "set it and forget it".

By the way, how about some clips. Also, I really like that new Catalinbread Vari-o-boost. It's great for a magic EQ/preamp type of things.

18. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

The RC sounds cold/hard/sterile to me too. I thought I might change out the op-amp but it's all gooped up inside. Also, mine has a surprising amout gain. More than I thought based on what I had read about it.

I really like the SCP. The only issue I have with it is that the low end gets a little loose and woofy as you turn it all the way up.

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

All of these boosters, when on, will messup the interaction between your guitar volume and the fuzz. Fuzz NEEDS to be the first pedal in your chain in order to preserve that interaction. IMO boosters work best at the end of the chain and in your case you absolutely must move the boost to some point after the fuzz to get what you are looking for.

I have the tiny catalinbread serrano boost which is essentially the same as the SCP and it is really nice. Its not entirely transparent but it does seem to ADD something nice to the signal as opposed to detracting from it. It is in no way as bright and hi-fi sounding as the boost on the BOR (sounded like the loudness button found on many home stereos) which I really didn't care for. Its also not as neutral as the zoom PD-01 or the Timmy set to clean boost, both of which sound exactly as if you just turned up the volume on your amp. I really like what the serrano does - makes it louder and seems to cut even more than just turning up the amp.

20. gregory49

gregory49 Member

The RC will react different with a tube amp as well. Same deal with the SCP. Just something that should be noted.