• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

RC Booster vs Timmy

RDM

:horse

Trying to decide on a bitchin' boost pedal. Out of these 2, what would you go with?

Dave

I have both, but if I had to choose just one it would be the Timmy. It's more versatile than the RC IMO.

The RC doesn't distort much at all, even with the gain cranked. The Timmy can go from clean to crunchy. They both have excellent EQ controls.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
I have both. The Timmy is my all time fave low gain power amp style overdrive with British amps. The RC Booster is one of my favourites used as an almost clean boost.

• The RC can be a little more tone neutral.
  • Timmy a bit more vibey and exciting.
  • Timmy has more gain on tap-it'll go to mid-gain overdrive.
  • The RC gets you more clean boost level.

minjason

definitely the Timmy over the RC booster. both pedals are amazing, but the timmy is much more transparent and versatile. i've also had both twice, and the timmy has always outshined the RC even simply as a clean boost.

BluesHarp

Ive had both... sold the rc. There was something about the gain on the Rc... transistor sounding?? Something...

If you only want clean, get the bjf sea blue eq ( from what Ive heard ), but if you want some grit/gain then the timmy. With the right chip in it you can nail it down man.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I have both and IMHO they are not comparable so no decision to be made. Th RC is an almost totally clean boost. You've really got to crank the gain to get any od at all with single coils. The Timmy is an OD but a lower gain one. It can be goosed into a bit higher gain but that's not it's sweet spot. However put the RC in front of the Timmy and you can extend the gain range of the Timmy a good deal. It's one of my favorite combo's.

drolling

As usual, I'm in total agreement with my buddy down under - These are two beasts of a very different nature and compliment each other very well.

I've also got both on board, tho' if I absolutely had to give one up, I'd keep Timmy..

Trending Topics