RC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woodylong, Jan 9, 2008.

1. woodylong

woodylong Supporting Member

I have been looking for a good pedal for boosting my leads and fills, I have a mesa amp so i don't need any more distortion. so would this boost my leads and fills.
    Thanks

2. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Yes,, I own a stiletto deuce and it works great with it.
    The pedal has a very big volume boost and goes from perfectly clean to a slight overdrive. I mean slight. The RC's max gain is probably equal to or less than most overdrives using minimum gain.
    I found it perfect for covering clean boost up to where a typical overdrive would take over. It also boosts other OD's well when staking them.

3. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Great booster, very transparent, nice EQ for additional tonal shaping...highly recommended.

4. woodylong

woodylong Supporting Member

I don't have a OD pedal, So i would be using this on my dirt channel and when it's time to put in the leads work this pedal would boost my signal and then disengaged after the solo.

5. gregory49

gregory49 Member

when it comes to boosting a high gain amp i would put an EQ in the FXloop. This is what guitarists like Slash do. How about a ToneJam Sniper GE7 EQ?

6. KPO

KPO Member

It depends on how much pregain you use in your dirt channel. The less gain in the amp the higher is the volumeboost, the more pregain you use the more saturisation will come out of the amp. I use a RC boost in front of a 4 channel tube preamp, on the clean channels it gives more of a volumeboost, on the dirtchannels it gives more gain. Perfect for my needs. If you want a large volumeboost on your dirtchannel you could put the booster in the effectsloop of your amp, as long as you don't use your poweramp fullblown it will have enough headroom to give extra volume.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

Agree with everything except the "very transparent" part. It definitely adds something no matter how I have it set. Fortunately, I'm very fond of what it adds. Love my RC!

8. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I also have a Mesa Boogie (Express 5:50) - I'd suggest that you put a Morley Little Alligator volume pedal ($60) in the effects loop (use the pedal's "adjustable minimum volume" feature to set your rhythm level in the toe up position and your lead/fill level in the toe down position). I also have the RC in front of the amp, and it does just what KPO described (which is what it is supposed to do), but I wouldn't put it in the effects loop (it would be overkill and an expensive way just to get a volume boost).

The other thing that you could do is get a Boss GE-7 equalizer, put it in the effects loop, and use the GE-7's gain setting to provide a slight boost for leads. You should be able to find a used GE-7 for a lot less $ than what an RC Booster would cost.

9. Sixa

Sixa Member

Hey woodylong,

If you put the RC Booster in front of your amp, then it will give you a slight boost in volume but it will drive the dirty channel more, so it will be more distoted. If you put it in the effects loop, the volume will get louder.

Sorry just read what KPO said, and his answer is better.