RC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wntbtw, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Hi! I have a `83 Marshall JCM 800 1x12 single channel model [#4010] and would like to get a clean boost for solos. The amp has enough overdrive and distortion for me so I don`t feel that I need an OD pedal etc--rather I would just like a clean boost to push it alittle more for solos. I`ve read alot of good things about the 'RC Booster' and would like to hear anyone`s thoughts on it as well as any other 'clean boost' worth mentioning. Thanks for reading this and for any help you can give to me.

2. ddpphoto

ddpphoto Member

Love the RC Booster -- think of it as more of the same with a touch of musical magic. Highly recommended pedal.

3. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...i have an RC ...i really like that it can eq your tone if you like in a very"musical" way...its also a great pedal when your playing your amp at low settings and want a fuller sound without adding a lot of volume....i also have a T.Jauerning Luxury drive thats an excellent single knob clean boost thats adds just a bit of edge to your tone....

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

RC adds a lot of compression and is in no sense neutral.

5. Shnook

Shnook Member

I had one and loved it. Sadly, I sold it to pay for a BJF SBEQ. Truth be told, I don't like the SBEQ half as much as I did the RC. I'm not gonna sell the BJF anytiime soon, but I do plan on buying another RC Boost.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Great pedal! It does color your tone, but generally in a good way. With the gain maxed, it also adds a surprising amount of 'grit' as well.

"RC" stands for 'Rig Conductor' apparently, and I'd still like to know what this means.. Anybody??

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The RC Boost is very useful. The EQ really helps, and basic sound of it works well at high volumes. I go back and forth between this and a TIM. The TIM is less compressed, more flexible, overall better I guess, but I like the RC just as much anyway.

8. 89strat

89strat Member

Is the Compression like with the new Fat-boost 2? Has anybody compared the two? How's the mids on RC?

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

You would need to put the Boost in an FX loop for a volume boost. If you run it in front of your amp you will only get more distortion.

10. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

The RC Booster gets used just as much as the 4 Cornish pedals on my board. I think that says a lot for what I think about it.

[​IMG]

11. pmtrub

pmtrub Member

I totally disagree, but I got my mine post Scott Henderson mod, so maybe we've had different experiences with the RC.

12. louderock

louderock Member

I have one and love it. I use it as a lead/ volume boost. It will vary from amp to amp in terms of how it responds. My blackface Bassman has a lot of headroom on the front end so the pedal can really light up that amp. A Marshall probably won't have as much headroom up front so you may not get a big volume boost but you will get 'more' of your tone and can get into a good lead tone without actually adding distortion. It basically gives you more of your tone with added eq. Very useful pedal.

It is my understanding that RC stands for Really Clean and AC stands for Almost Clean.

13. takakat

takakat Member

I use RGW BAD BOB and it is a clean boost and nothing else and it works for me.

14. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I agree with you, I've never heard anyone say the RC adds to much compression.

15. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Thank all of you very much for your thoughts--very much appreciated! I`m also now wondering how it would sound thru a JMP 50w amp esp w/ the RC Booster`s gain on '10'. Would it add alittle 'overdrive'? BTW: my `83 JCM does not have an effects loop.

16. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I loved the RC when I had one. But that was back when they still had the flimsy switches. Not sure if it was improved any, but it was a very versatile boost pedal. The EQ was fantastic, making useful for many different purposes, really.

And yes, with the gain on 10 you'd have a slight bit of drive, very neutral sounding, if you're planning on pushing another pedal/amp with it.