RC...but no compression or tone alteration

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vinni, Jul 29, 2006.

1. vinni

vinni Member

Hi!

For over 4 years now I have a Xotic RC booster.
    I use it to give my clean sound a little edge.
    I tried a few pedals and the RC was the best.

Still the RC compresses the sound a little and the tone seems to change too.

What I want is a pedal that ONLY adds a little edge and nothing more.

Am I asking too much?

Vinni

2. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

The RC Booster is about as transparent as it gets... maybe the Zvex SHO is worth a try.

Maybe you should just play an amp that is set on the edge of clean and add some dirt by digging in a bit. Small tweeds are great for that. I don't know what style of music you play, so I don't know if this suggestion is feasible. Even going straight in with a tube amp, there is going to be some compression happening when the tubes saturate... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck - jv

3. woude

woude Member

keeley time machine boost
    or
    keeley katana

might be what you're looking for...

4. vinni

vinni Member

Hi,

Thanks sofar for your input.

The band I'm in plays a lot of rockcovers.
    For a direction of the sound I'm looking for....
    Think of John Fruscianti's clean sound....which isn't totally clean....

Vinni

5. robbert

robbert Member

His live clean tone is a Marshall 200 watt major / on records a superbass. If there is a pedal that can duplicate that at any volume, TELL ME :D. That exact sound only comes at a high volume level with those amps. John Frusciante attacks the strings pretty hard so that also helps, he also uses .010's but instead of the high e he uses a .011.

6. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I know John is a Marshall guy, and I believe he uses a big muff and that Boss distortion pedal he's used forever (maybe a DS-2?). Those are pretty compressed sounds with the pedals and pretty much a Strat into a Marshall otherwise. He may use small Fender's (deluxe reverb, etc) in the studio for all I know.
    I think the "clean" sound that isn't "totally clean" that you seek could be achieved by a slightly overdriven tube amp without any pedals. Then you could use the pedals for more overdriven tones. This may seem overly obvious, but i figured i'd throw it out there in case it was helpful.
    Good luck - jv

oops... robbert beat me to it... gotta learn to type faster :)

7. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - I love the RC Booster, but I wouldn't call it it the cleanest or most transparent one out there. There's a number of pedals that'll do a more neutral volume boost. Couple have already been mentioned- to that list I'll add two of my favorites; the Cochrane TIM's got a nice boost circuit that can be used alone or combined w/the OD side of the pedal, and I recently picked up a Diamond J-Drive TR. Like TIM, it's an overdrive w/built-in booster - a bit edgier sounding, tho', thanks to some NOS germanium transistors that add some treble bite.

If you just want to work your amp's power tubes a bit harder without the added volume, some kind of load-box or speaker attenuator might be the way to go. There's a bunch to choose from, but I use a THD Hot Plate with my Fender Vibroverb.

8. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Hey Drolling,
    Do you have the newest RC? I have ab'd it with the older one and the gain is definitely more subtle on the new one and very transparent. I like to "underdrive" an amp with it by cranking up the amp to get the power tubes going, and then use the RC to control the signal in. I get some great tones that are likened to a hard driven amp, but with more definition, harmonics and control. I'm sure the same could be done with any of the really good clean boost pedals you mention. It's great for recording at reasonable volumes.

I do happen to be involved in the Xotic artist program, but that's not influencing my words here. There was a thread a while back that suggested folks mention such things when commenting on a product. I get nothing for speaking highly of a pedal I would use anyway.

Thanks - jv

9. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Try out some of the Carl Martin pedals. Either the Contour & Boost for a boost/EQ, or one of the Hot Drive N Boost series for a completely clean boost (use the boost side only). Both pedals use a 24V power supply so they are impossible to distort with a guitar. If you want a bit of edge/compression, the Drive side is there as well.

10. robbert

robbert Member

Good point! By the way, John used a Fender Showman head on scar tissue with his '55 strat for the clean tones, and he uses that head with his White Falcon.
    Rest of the tones for that record are a superbass for clean and a jtm45 for lead with the '55 strat and sometimes a 63/65 tele custom

11. drolling

drolling Member

John, I've got an old one, but I appreciate the info - It's suddenly making more sense out of all the comments I've read about the 'clean' boost of the RC. But I like the grit that the old one adds to my tone, and often run it w/the gain pot wide open.

Are the new AC & BB pedals also less coloured & gainey than their earlier counterparts? Guess I'll just have to try them all again:RoCkIn!!!

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Very interesting issue this compression/transparency of clean boosts thing.

Two things occur to me.

Due to all that Fletcher Munson curve stuff

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

it seems to me that if something really wasn't colouring the tone that is changing the blend of frequencies...but was adding volume it would actually sound like it was colouring the tone because of the way our ears respond to frequencies at different volumes.

On the other hand pedals that are being EQ'd to reduce certain frequencies may in fact appear to be more transparent as the volume is increased because they maintain more of what our ears are hearing or think they're hearing.

Having said that, in terms of the way people define transparent, from what I've observed, a lot of the boosts that people are referring to as transparent are actually adding quite a lot of treble content (SHO) but it lets people hear what they're playing through loud mixes in an onstage situation which they think of as being "transparent"....

Does this make any sense?

13. vinni

vinni Member

New RC?

:confused:

I've got my RC for 3-4 years now.
    Did not know their is a new version available.

Help me out guys....

Vinni

14. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Is the LED at the top or middle of the pedal?

The new model has the LED at the top and has a new switch I believe.

I also think the new gain on the new RC is more subtle and less compressed. it is definitely the cleanest boost next to a volume pedal I have ever tried (but I haven't tried everything). It also doesn't seem to shape the tone at all if you leave the eq flat. I lent mine to a shredder friend of mine because he read so much about them, and when he brought it back, he told me it didn't do anything, and couldn't tell if it was on or not :). It is definitely not for the high gain lovers , unless you're letting your amp do the work (which is the idea).

The Zvex SHO is great for lead players, because it seems to have a treble boost in there as well. Great for cutting through for solos. I could probably use one if I ever learned to play a proper solo :)

I think the gain on the AC booster is more subtle on the new model, but the BB is still pretty rockin as far as I can tell.

Have fun - jv

15. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

I've found the RC Booster compressed and somehow dull at the lower mids. If you want a shimmery-enchancing clean boost (the best I've tried so far) try the BJF SBEQ. I am done with boosts! :AOK

The great thing is that the SBEQ is much more than a simple boost, it has lots of interesting applications, trully amazing pedal!

16. vinni

vinni Member

You describe the sound I hear exactly....compressed and somewhat dull at the lower mids.

Maybe the time has come to check out the BJF.

Thanks Myron....

B.t.w. ....I really dig your playing!

Vinni

17. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I play Tele's and Dano's, so if you use hotter pups or humbuckers, I'm sure your results would be different with the RC. I'm almost never looking for more top end :)

Good input, Myron, and I also enjoyed the clips. That clean strat (i'm assuming) tone is gorgeous - jv

18. Myron Stratis

Thank you Vinni:)

BJF SBEQ has that wonderful sparkle and the EQ is really musical: High is actually high mids and Low is lower mids. You can use it before other pedals (clean boost/eq), after other pedals (very very powerful eq shaper, works wonders after od boxes, it can even make them friendly to bright Fender-style amps) or even as an eq for live piezo acoustic guitar work (try it!!!!!)

19. Myron Stratis

Thank you!

SBEQ actually 'enchances' the tone: It doesn't add highs in an unpleasant way. It sparkles almost like adding a little of Vox-EL84's to your tone (hahaha) Quite frankly, when I start play with the SBEQ on, when it comes out I keep scratching me head: "Where has all the tone gone??" :)

20. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Between my RC Booster (about a month old) and my Catalinbread SCP I'm not looking for any more boosters, both do a great job for me. The RC works perfectly with my Matchless.