RC/Catalinbread SCP/MXR Boost-Line Driver for Boost/buffer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by panosy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. panosy

panosy Member

OK, so looking for a good buffer/boost pedal I came up with these three because of size, price (RC is more expensive) and general opinions:

Catalinbread SCP
    Xotic RC
    MXR Boost-Line Driver

I just don´t know which one would best fit the profile of a good buffer to put in the beggining of the chain, as I have a Nick Greer Sonic Boom, which is a GREAT box but first in chain it affects the guitar volume control making it a bit unusable (at least in my case). Mostly I would like to listen to any opinions on the MXR box, which is co-designed with Custom Audio Electronics, which sounds very promising.

Copying from the page for the MXR:

[SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]MXR and Custom Audio Electronics founder Bob Bradshaw—two names that have shaped the tones of the world's greatest guitarists—join forces to bring you a dynamic new line of pedals. The Boost/Overdrive and Boost pedals are the first offerings in the series produced by MXR, featuring the unique sonic stamp of legendary designer Bob Bradshaw. Since 1980, CAE's innovative pedal designs were made in limited quantities only for his select clientele. When it was time to bring these pedals to the masses, there was only one name he could trust to deliver the same quality and standards that his customers demand—MXR. Available only from Dunlop Manufacturing, Inc., the world's leader in analog pedal technology. MC-401 Boost/Line Driver The MC-401 is simple in design but superbly effective in solving a variety of mis-matched line level and signal conditioning problems that can occur when combining effects. The MC-401's circuit design has been used for years by CAE in the world's best guitarist's rigs to remedy these problems and rejuvenate the sparkle, punch and brilliance that can be lost. It can also be used as an ultra-clean boost for solos or to drive effects for more dynamics and sensitivity.

Also are there any other options that I overlooked? Looking for something relatively cheap, smallest possible and simple. And yes I looked for the microbuffer on ebay but didn´t find any. Anybody selling one? :)

thanks!
    [/FONT][/SIZE]

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Check out the other thread about the same stuff in a shootout. Nice timing.

3. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I've got the MXR after having 2 RC Boosters (one old version, one new version). The RC is an excellent pedal and can do a ton of things for your tone (some good, some ymmv...), but for me all I want it to do is boost my signal and not change my tone. The MXR does that and that's all it does. The buffer in it is really good as well. I'm primarily using it just for boost duties though because my signal path isn't that intensive and I've got good buffers elsewhere.

I'm done with the RC but would definitely buy the MXR/CAE again.

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The catalinbread is true bypass - no buffer. When its off its like its not in the chain at all. Same with the RC booster. The CAE and the MXR Microamp have always on buffers.

Copied from my post on the other boost thread:
    All of these boosters, when on, will messup the interaction between your guitar volume and the fuzz. Fuzz NEEDS to be the first pedal in your chain in order to preserve that interaction. IMO boosters work best at the end of the chain and in your case you absolutely must move the boost to some point after the fuzz to get what you are looking for.

5. panosy

panosy Member

are you sure about that? I think the SCP has a permanent buffer for one of the two outputs? By the way I read that it has two outputs (one buffered and the other bypassed) but haven't seen any pics of it all around showing them yet..

6. erksin

erksin Member

The SCP has an input impedence of 10M ohms and an output impedence of 3K - just about perfect for color-free buffering.

7. sandman

sandman Member

older versions have two outputs and no fat switch. perfect if you wanna bridge Fender amps with reverb...solves out of phase problems. second output only works if the pedal is on - no signal coming out in bypass, the first one is regular TB thing.

8. panosy

panosy Member

yes I just realized the new version I am about to get has one output only.. other than that the fat option if great (even just to have and use once in a while). Thing is I was thinking of hooking up a tuner to the 2nd exit..

9. eru

eru Member

No, they don't. Both MXR pedals are some form of "true bypass" according to mr. huge, who apparently designs pedals for mxr/dunlop.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

My understanding is that if the pedal is true bypass then the buffer and boost circuitry is only working when the pedal is engaged. When its off its as if the pedal, buffer and all, is not there - just a straight wire.

This may be true of the new CAE booster. But the Microamp is an older design (70's) and I'm pretty sure it is NOT true bypass. There's been alot of talk about the newer MXR's and exactly what constitutes the "hardwire bypass". The only thing I've seen is that it IS NOT the same as the TB switching using 3pdt switch as found in the boutique pedals like fulltone, barber etc.

Now I'm not a stickler for TB. In this case its important because for the buffer effect to always be on whether the pedal is engaged on not it should not be TB. If the OP is going to leave this pedal on all the time then it doesn't matter.