1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rc, Sex Drive, Boostier help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ned, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Ned

Ned Member

im totally stuck between the RC, Sex Drive, and Boostier clean boosts...i dont know which one to buy...my rig already consists of analog bicomp, eternity, fab50, old 1st version dd-3 delay, and pic wah...i use a gibson LP custom. ive never owned a clean boost before so im not sure what im looking for in particular but i have read countless threads on these boosts and want to see if anyone has A/b 'ed them directly or has experience with any or all? any help is appreciated :) thanks

2. drolling

drolling Member

I've read rave reviews on all three- Specifically the SexDrive on the Tele page & the Boostiest on the Gretsch pages, so I'm thinking that those two might work best with certain types of guitar/amp combos.

I finally got an RC booster recently, and it's one of those rare pedals that sounds great w/everthing I've thrown at it.

But an old tele & a TV Jones loaded Gretsch are my two main electrics, so I'm real interested in the Durham and the Burns.

I got the RC cheap because of the issue w/the *old* switches, and it's a keeper.

I try not to sidetrack threads when posters enquire about specific pedals, but I'm making an exception to recommend Timmy. Does a nice boost/mild OD without messing w/your tone. And it also comes w/a ridiculously low pricetag...

3. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I bought both an RC and a Sex Drive. They both sound great, but I kept the RC because at the time I wasn't using a buffer, and it helped clean up the signal a bit. Now that I have a buffer, VHT Valulator, I'd prolly go with the Sex Drive, it's got a really nice low end. Can't really go wrong either way.

Drolling, I'm pretty new 'round here, who makes the Timmy and where do you get 'em?

4. drolling

drolling Member

Paul Cochrane makes 'em at home after work. Do a search here for his phone # and give him a call. They cost $105 and take around 2 months to get. Next to my tuner (Strobostomp), Timmy's the most important pedal on my board..

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

I have the Sex Drive pedal -- it's great at the end of the pedal chain to kind of restore your tone if you are running through several pedals and lots of cable. It's kind of like a mild loudness button, it brightens and adds a touch of low end at the same time. It's a very attractive, clean & sparkly studio-like sound. It can do a slight amount of overdrive but I don't care for using it that way, I think it's best as a clean boost, the OD sounds thin. It kind of bugs me that you can't control the EQ on it, for example with a Tele maybe you would want to roll of the highs a tad, but you can't (although it doesn't sound harsh). So I'm considering the RC Booster instead which has EQ, & which will also take up less room on my board. If you are interested in trying it, I might sell it.

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

This post confuses me. My Sex drive offers plenty of clean gain that really pushes my amp to overdrive. It never sounds thin. Plus, ther is a tone control to roll off the highs, which I run at 11:00. This is the best boost pedal made, IMO.

7. Sammy

Sammy Member

I was after a clean boost and had all the recommedations etc finally went for the RC boost due to the brilliant videos on the Xotic site.

Don't think I could have chosen better superb pedal now looking at the AC or BB preamp.

Sammy

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

The tone knob on mine doesn't do much, perhaps mine isn't working properly. It sounds about the same until you get almost all the way clockwise, then it abruptly rolls off the low end. What I meant by thin is, when using it as an overdrive it doesn't fatten up your tone like most ODs do. I only use it to boost.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like ours operate differently. My tone pot is pretty linear, but I've never had it fully clockwise, so I don't know if it at maximum does anything to the low end. I use it as a treble rolloff, and keep it just under noon. Also, hitting the front of my Constellation, the tone is very fat. It is so big, it would be overwhelming if I had the output maxed.