RCA 7027a Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Adam79, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Adam79

Adam79 Member

I've been reading up on the various 7027a tubes RCA has made over the years. Their earlier models had a metal base and receive high praise. However, I've noticed that alot of audiophiles will hype up a tube because of it's rarity and not because of it's sound quality. Can anyone that has experience with 7027a tubes give me their opinion on the quality of the RCA's throughout the years.. do the earlier metal base versions have a better build quality, sound and longevity compared to their later models?

How do the Sylvania 7027a stack up to the RCAs? From what I've read, they are a close second to the RCAs.

Thanks,
    -Adam

2. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

bump

My amp uses 7027s but I know almost nothing about them.

TG

3. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I had an old oliver amp that runs 7027 tubes. I compared nos RCA's black base, Metal base, Slyvania and JJ's.

I liked the plastic black base RCA's the best. The metal base was almost the same sound but more high end.

Slyvania's seemed louder and had more mids but less high end and bass. The JJ were pretty well balanced. In the end I would save the coin and buy the JJ's unless the rca's are resonable. 120.00 for a pair would be okay anymore than that go for the JJ's the difference is not exactly earth shattering as far as tone. However, the originol Slyvania tubes that were in the 1969 Oliver Amp still work.

I believe good preamp glass can make up the marginal difference between the RCA and JJ 7027a tube.