• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

RCA Blackplate 6L6 of unknown origins....

Hey y'all,
I've been holding on to some Westinghouse-branded RCA Blackplate 6L6's that I got for free about a year go, I had a quad of SED =C='s to go through and I believe I have done just that. Now, I've had the RCA's tested and my tech said they tested good and that he wouldn't worry about putting them in. My 1989 Marshall Bluesbreaker would obviously need to be re-biased to run these, but I have never biased an amp without a bias pot - I have however performed filter and electrolytic cap replacements on a '66 Super Reverb with success and little to no death by electrocution. Would/SHOULD this be something I can do by myself?

A big concern of mine is spending the time (or the money) to put in these RCA's without knowing how long or IF they will last, how much does the tube tester tell us in that regard?

I run the amp with the channels jumpered around 5 with a THD Hot Plate, so not super hot but not bedroom cool either.

Thoughts?

Tone Meister

With what you have in them, I can certainly predict an infinite return on investment! I suggest that you get them installed and biased to about 50% and enjoy them. None of the tubes in my stash sound good until I install them in something! :beer

I heard that RCA Blackplate 6L6's can double as crystal balls if you bias them correctly.

Thanks fellas. I'll get them installed ASAP!

Tone Meister

Yeah, just bias them conservatively and they should sound quite rich in that circuit. By conservative, I'd suggest 50% or a bit less.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom