RCA Blackplate 6L6/TAD tubes question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bbarnard, Jan 11, 2005.

1. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have two 6L6 tubes in my Allen Old Flame head that I thought were RCA Blackplates. They are stamped RCA on the side of the tube and they are short bottle tube. I was going to order some TADs to have as backups but their site (and an email to them) seem to confirm that the Phillips like longer tube is their RCA blackplate reissue. Allen however is selling their short bottle tube. So I'm confused. Were RCA blackplates short or long bottled?

2. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have a pair in my Ganesha I would call them short bottles. They are shorter then my EL34s but fatter. They are marked 6L6GC, RCA, made in the USA. The plates are very dark like semi gloss black not the typical flat gray. They are the longer then my tung sol 5881 not as long as the RCA Gray plates. They actually measure 3 5/16 from the bottom of the base to the top of the glass.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I have RCA blackplates in at least 3 different bottle lengths. I wouldn't use bottle size to determine authenticity. It's what's INSIDE the glass that counts.

4. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I put the TAD short bottles into my Custom Reverb and I love them. I was aleady running them into a Tweed Super I built. I don't care where they're made, they sound great.

5. Swarty

Swarty Member

... and inside the bottle there are many different component configurations, and they are all kick serious booty among the multitude of 6L6 offerings.