Rcokett Archer vs Mythical Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by omahaaudio, Mar 15, 2015.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Has anyone played them both and developed an opinion on which one might be better, or are they both about the same in terms of build quality and sound?

2. DV52

DV52 Member

I have been wondering about that also.

3. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

4. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I have the TGP LE Mythical with D9E/OA126 diodes and an Archer. They are both excellent pedals. My Archer is voiced a little darker and has slightly less gain compared with the MO.

6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

You shouldn't assume that someone hasn't done a search and then make a snarky statement.

That thread didn't show up when I did a search.

It seems to be a moot point now anyway as I've just scored an MO in the emporium.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

They are both excellent pedals. I think the Archer does the spot-on Silver Klon thing and the Mythical does a little bit more. I also have a KTR and have owned a Silver Klon.

8. DV52

DV52 Member

So, that would fall in the category of your experience with them in what way ? I ask this all the time for the same reason as folks chiming in about amps, you know the guys who haven't played the marshall that the op is asking about and saying that thexxxxyy is better .

9. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

I have both...my mythical has D9E/OA129 diodes.

For my tastes they sound very, very similar - however, they feel quite different. I posted about this in the Archer thread. The MO feels more organic and has a bit of "push" to it that reacts to pick attack in a way that is "spongier" than the Archer. Again, this is IMO and all that, but to me it's quite noticeable and like playing two completely different pedals.

The Archer (again, to me) is 'harder' and more strident in feel...if not in actual tone.

They both do that "thing" that really cuts through in a live/dense mix....and I like both the pedals a lot. If I had to choose just one, though, I'd keep the MO and lose the Archer. It's a tiny pedal and that's awesome for the board, but the MO is more "playable" for my tastes.

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Which one has more bass/low mids?

11. JinX78

JinX78 Member

So I picked up an archer in a trade. Really loving the mid forward sound for cleans, and it makes a kick ass boost into other overdrives like my barber CDD and scarab, also sounds great after the scarab too. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about the lil mo'. Some people say they sound quite different and some say it's splitting hairs. Why must I keep chasing the toneeee....

12. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I have the Archer pedal and love it and I once owned a silver Klon, but I sold it like a dumbass. :p