RE-20 Space Echo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Birddog, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've spent the better part of today with my new RE-20 Space Echo. I'm not a boutique pedal kind of guy, and the longer I have my pedalboard, the more my stuff is turning into Boss, and Boss, and Boss. I have some nice stuff on there, like a Micro Pog and some other oddball stuff, but mostly run-of-the mill Boss pedals, an MXR Phase 90...you get the picture.

For the last few years I've been running 2 Ibanez DE-7 delays on my board and have loved them, and recommended them many times here on TGP and to other players. The analog sound is warm, and the delay is clean and not tone-sucking.

But the RE-20 has been calling to me so today I bought one. After hours of playing it, and playing with it, I have to say that it is the best delay / echo pedal I've ever used. I never felt the NEED for tap-tempo but after using it -- wow. I can use more delay/echo and since it matches the tempo of the song, it's less intrusive. Wish I'd tried tap-tempo years ago.

The settings on the pedal itself vary widely, but it's got a fairly easy learning curve. I'm not a big reverb guy, but some of the reverb heavy settings are interesting, and the reverb can be dialed back to nothing. The echo-only settings are where I spent much of my time and probably will stay with them. I can't see a huge difference in the settings, but there is some and it's more pronounced (of course) the more echo you dial in. An endless array of sounds, but not so confusing that I couldn't find some simple slapback in about 20 seconds of playing with it.

Again, it's a great pedal. Built like a tank, and visually pretty cool looking. I like the little LED tape simulation to show you how fast the delay is going, ditto for the tap-speed LED. Very handy.

Oh, and the 'twist' function when you hold your foot on the tap tempo...very cool...spacey, even....

Just throwing this out there, in case anyone else is looking at them. I'll probably write again after using it again at next Saturday's gig...

Have a good night.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks for the review, birddog! Sometimes I feel like I don't need all the fancy settings on my DD-20 and an RE-20 would kick a$$. But then at other times I think of the modulation setting, or analog, or simple clean digital delays (which work really well in a few songs I have played), and I think "feh. just GAS talking".

If money and pedalboard real estate were not an issue, I'd have one quicker than the RE-20 on minimum delay repeat setting could react to the dry signal!

[/ubergeek]

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

Well Moe, the GAS did get me this time but the pedal was worth it. I'm looking forward to trying it next weekend at gig volumes. It was definitely a fun afternoon of tweaking to see what it could do. I just had a bad run-in with a Digitech Synth Wah and returned it to GC. It was shrill and nasty, though pretty cool. At gig volumes on the synth settings, my fillings were starting to come out. It was just too harsh. So after that debacle, I was glad to find something this good. AND, I got a couple of interesting synth sounds in the 'twist function' that cured my need for 'spacey', lol.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah i own a Timefactor and I still want one of these. Luckily I've had the self-control not to do it seeing as you can probably get extremely close to the sounds of the RE-20 out of the TF... but hell even the vintage units on ebay catch my eye from time to time. i have a feeling it'll happen eventually :NUTS

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

lemme just say that after the stellar output Boss has put out over the last few years, I am extremely disappointed with them for not putting out anything guitar worthy at summer NAMM!

I know the RE-20 rocks. Practically speaking, I believe the DD-20 is better for my needs..... maybe I should experiment more with the tape delay setting.

By the by, I hear the bass synth wah is muchos better than the synth wah. For guitar too :)

6. blood5150

blood5150 Member

same here....

7. Birddog

Birddog Member

Funny you should say that. At GC all they had on display was the Bass Synth Wah, and I ran a guitar through it -- quite loudly -- and thought to myself "wow...if it sounds this good with the wrong (bass) pedal, imagine how good the guitar one must sound."

Wrong. Maybe I should revisit the idea of the bass-version. Much less ear-splitting.

8. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

with the re-20 I like holding down the right pedal for just a little bit to cause the echos to modulate....

9. ?&!

?&! Member

I've had my RE-20 for a little over a month now, and I like it a lot. I'm addicted to tap tempo now! The "twist" function is cool for adding some spaceiness to a part, for sure. I wish it had a reverse function, but other than that, it rules.

10. cameron

cameron Member

I have the RE-20, and I used it pretty heavily for several months. It's a cool idea; they really tried to make a digital simulation of the old Roland Space Echo, and lots of features that one expects a delay pedal to have aren't there, because they weren't in the Space Echo. Other design oddities are probably also vestiges of its ancestor. For example, the volume control on the pedal is in effect even if the pedal is bypassed. That seemed very strange to me; I can't imagine why they'd have designed the pedal that way - the only explanation must be that that is how the old Space Echo was set up.

But ultimately, I think I need something that colors my tone less. The RE-20 chops off the low end of your signal and sort of hollows it out. You can get some cool sounds, and effects, but I don't like the way it sort of takes over. I think I'll be selling mine soon . . .

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  11. codenoise

codenoise Member

Will the RE-20 replace your DE-7s or do you still feel the need for them? I've been considering picking up both for a while.

12. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

I love it and think it sounds very close to the original. Which is a Roland Space Echo RE-201 by the way. It sounds great and I use it all the time.

13. Birddog

Birddog Member

I put one of my DE-7's up on the Bay last night. The other is already moved over to my small grab-n-go practice board. The RE-20 has already replaced them. For those worried about getting a nice, bright digital delay type signal, setting #1 on the RE-20 is about as close to a clean delay as my ears can discern. I don't see the need to keep any other delay on the board.

14. Birddog

Birddog Member

I just added a Roland EV-5 expression pedal to my RE-20. Now I can control echo volume (level) as well as speed with the tap tempo. It really is an ideal setup for gigging. By rocking the pedal back I can get minimal echo, or toe-ing down I can get juicy, defined repeats.

Still loving this RE-20. Tomorrow night will be my 3rd gig with it.

15. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

can you get any echoplex sounds out of it, like Jimmy Page? I know the best way is to just get one, or a TTE, but I'm not spending a grand or better on an effect any time in the foreseeable future.

16. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

It's the only digital delay I've found that gives you a decent "Sound on Sound" tape echo type delay!
    Great pedal!:AOK