Re 201 impedence mod is there a way ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sixty2strat, Feb 2, 2012.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Ok I dont have the skills or the guts to tinker in my RE201. Is there a way to do the" JFET follower mod to convert the input to high impedance" but do it as a external mod i.e. such as a ped or fx that would be palced in the chain before space echo. I guess this would be along the lines of the Foxx wah retrofit that analogman put in a box. Could it be done?

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Put a buffer or a buffered non-tb pedal before the 201 and it will help a great deal.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I did that for years I used a TS808. Now days I just go right in or used a beano boost or old fuzzface,so looking for away to get around the buffered pedal. just less stuff in the path.

4. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

Here is Mr. Zoom's original schematic:

EDIT:OK the embedded image is huge so Here is a link

so yeah it can be external (well i'm 99% sure it can)- just need to hook the "17V DC" point up to power and the ground to well, the ground point

Also - had this mod done to my RE-201, it is awesome and highly recommended

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

love to have a tech do it but say tape echo and they all go running away screaming NO!!!!!!!.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

Ha! Bunch of *******. And they call themselves a tech?

7. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

Funny how some people like that low-impedance input so much they buy a separate pedal to reproduce it. Something to do with Brian Setzer. Personally I'm clueless to its particular appeal, but it is a popular product for real.

8. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I used to have an RE-201 and would have to use a buffered pedal with for this reason. A Boss tuner works great. Without it my tone was really dull and muddy sounding. I don't see the big deal about using one extra pedal to accomplish this.