Re-awakening my ears!

Went to a guys house last night to sell my 78 Hiwatt Dr103.
Very nice bloke and we were trying the amp in a huge music room in his house - about 60 foot by 25 or so. Full band set up there and he uses the house for practicing with his group...

Anyways, I got the amp hooked up/warmed up and we started goofing about on it.
Then we got louder.And louder.Then we practically maxed out the Hiwatt (Preamp at about 2.5 , master at 5) all through a Marshall 1960A.. (i know)

Man alive it was stupendous :bounce
I live in a detached house with my mrs but theres no way i could ever get the amp up that loud - things start rattling and breaking!
If it wasn't for the factthat I have a second vintage Hiwatt - I would have walked out and not sold it.

Ive had this amp for a couple of years but have never played a venue that enabled me to roll in the Hiwatt half stack .... But now I will make an effort to leave the combo behind and use it whenever possible.

These are BEASTS !

I would kill to play it that loud through my Fane cab with my own axe/pedals!

Anyway, i just thought i'd share this - An SLO is on next on my hitlist but last night just proved that these have to be cranked to come into their own.
I thought i'd heard my Hiwatts loud before but now =)

Im very happy with my exisisting gear now. Gas stopped for at least a little while...
Crank them up once in a while gentlemen, your ears and gear will love you for it (even if the wives/neighbours/kids dont)

Laced Senses

Double Platinum Member
I know the feeling. I play my vintage DR103 amps with the master volume dimed almost every day....and with vintage Fanes. It's wonderful stress relief. The pre-amp volume knobs vary between noon and 5:00 (dimed) position depending on the guitar and if pedals are used. I rent rehearsal space in an old warehouse for this purpose...and for recording/jamming in general.

Hiwatts are meant to be LOUD. That's the only way get the best out of them.

solitaire

With Fanes at that position on the volume knob you'd basically blow your eardrums to fragments! - but who cares: it's rock and roll and we'd do anything for the art of music, right? ;)

Laced, you must really, REALLY get out more lol

Rocky, there's some truth in that alright but this was RELIGOUS =)

Ps Laced, ever come across a humming on the brill volume that disappears when linked to the normal channel? (Its there if i just plug into the normal and turn up the brill independantly... Thanks)

Trending Topics