1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Re-Capped Fender Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blindspot, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

So I'm lookin' at a '65 BF Deluxe Reverb that the guy says is all original and what do you know - a boatload of orange caps. Otherwise, the thing is dead mint original, but it has been more or less completely re-capped. Since I would play it, not put it in some museum display case, I'm still interested in the amp, but he wants $2,500 and that seems awful pricey for a Deluxe that has been completly re-capped. Or for a Deluxe at all, but I know thay aren't cheap.

Thoughts on this re-capping thing? Value?

2. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

It isn't worth $1500 with Orange Drops in it. The original blue tubular caps are important.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Actually,I purchased one off ebay a while back with all korean/raido shack caps. I knew what I was getting from the photo's. I changed them all to mallory 150's and the amps sounds great. I A/B'd it with a friends with the blue mallorys and his was just slightly warmer,so I turn the bass control up a bit and there it is.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't know much about vintage amps but that seems like way too much.

I saw a 64 Deluxe Reverb in the Emporium this morning for somewhere around $1,800.00

I think your seller is dreaming.

Good luck in your search.

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

You can buy a lot of much better amps for $2,500. A Silverface amp is the same circuit and WAY less. At one point I had two blackface and one silverface. They all sounded the same. Sold 'em all after I got an old Vibroluxe reverb. I think it's a much better amp. It shot my Deluxe Reverbs right out of the saddle.

6. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

I was thinking $1,500 or so would be reasonable. It is really stunning mint - except for the friggin' cap job.

7. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Member

I bought one that had a similar job done. I payed $1250. It was still a great sounding amp. There is a lot of debate over the inherent "mojo" of those old blue tonecaps.

8. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I would just throw in my non-expert $0.02. First, IMO orange drops in a Fender sound awful! That was the first cap I experimented when I recapped my Silverface Deluxe. I thought I had killed it. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. I couldn't get them out of there fast enough. So plan on recapping it again. I don't know how much irreplaceable mojo is in those old blue caps, but there is a lot of nice ones made today so it isn't a huge concern. Mallory 150's will get you 95% there. Those new mustard caps probably are as good or better than the originals. The amp will warm right back up with a little experimentation. Also there is a difference between Silverface and Blackface Deluxes. They are not the same circuit. Still even a mint BF Deluxe will not pull $2500 anywhere I have ever seen.

9. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Not much debate... most people agree they sound better.

YMMV

<M

10. slider313

In the "vintage"or collectible market condition is everything. Coins,comics,old toys,books,etc. are priced accordingly. Vintage guitars and amps have become "functional art",like classic cars. Unlike cars though,it seems a refin or changed tuners are frowned upon. Would you rather have a '57 Chevy with original spark plugs,cap and wires running like ****? Same with an amp. For those who want the original caps even if they leak,I say "keep 'em in there". If the old tuners are frozen from rust or don't keep it in tune,should you leave them on?Some things are acceptable,others are not. If I had an old strat with faded paint and wear,I'd leave it be. But if someone with a can of Krylon did a hack job,I'd let a pro give it a good finish with my favorite custom color. JMHO

11. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

+1 on that......

To me caps shouldn't be a part of the vintage value- if you are going to include it as nearly half the value, then why don't you throw tubes into that category........simple- its a maintenance issue- its rediculous to think that they will last forever- I'd pay more for better sounding pieces than for original pieces because I use the stuff- nothing gets thrown in the closet or under the bed at my house, but then again I don't own any original '59 Les Pauls either!
    FWIW

12. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

Fair enough, unless the "tune up" makes the vintage car (or amp) run worse. There seems to be reasonable observation by many that the orange drops don't sound good in this type of amp. Also, as I understand it, there is a difference between replacing just the electrolytic caps vs. replacing ALL the caps (please correct me if I have this wrong.) This amp has at least 8 orange drops in there or more - it looks like every cap in the amp was changed out.

13. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Sometimes the poly's go leaky or drift, but other than that, it isn't unreasonable for those things to last nearly indefinately. Tubes and electrolytics on the other hand, have a definate life span. Replacing two-prong plugs, tubes, electrolytics, etc shouldn't lower the value of an amp, especially if it is to be played. It might in the real world, but it shouldn't. However replacing the poly's with inferior sounding poly's can very well devalue an amp. I would say that a BF Deluxe with all orange drops would be worth less than one with originals assuming all the originals are still in good condition. Just my observations.

14. slider313

Agreed Blindspot. Electrolytics are a rule of thumb. They make not be leaking after 40 years of non use and some would say don't change them. But if your going to use the amp Murphys law says one of the caps lets go at a gig. As for the orange caps, I agree,they don't sound good to my ear either;in a blackface or silverface Fender.Installing Mallory 150's is a good idea. The cosmetic condition of the amp is what will bring the cost up. Tolex with no rips or burns,rust free chassis,original tranny's,tube chart intact,crack free baffle,original speaker(recone ok),etc. Fenders are money in the bank appreciating more than most collectibles and better than an interest bearing savings account or CD. JMHO

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Gerald Weber says the mallory 150s sound the most like the old astrons.

16. mbratch

mbratch Member

From what I've seen, the Fender BF amps don't lose much value with quality recap jobs on them (I have to disagree with Jeff Flowerday on this one). If the amp is otherwise mint (new looking) condition, $2,500 is at the very top of its current market value (which of course can change in the future). IMHO, the amp as you describe it should peg around $2,000, maybe a little more, as an average, assuming everything else is original and the amp is in mint condition. I just saw a totally original mint '64 BFDR go for $1999 with a buy-it-now (it went pretty quick). If it didn't have the BIN, I'd guess it would go between 2K and 2.5K. Having the original footswitch helps a lot.

Things that really cut down the value of the vintage BF amps is replaced transformers, altered baffles, and other unusual mods (switches/knobs added to the front or back of the chassis), other replaced hardware like knobs and faceplates.

17. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

But the amp hasn't been just recapped. Tone stack and coupling caps have been replaced as well. And that seriously reduces it's value.

$1500 max.