Re-covering Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ngwallace, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ngwallace

ngwallace Member

Does anyone know of an amp repair place in San Diego that will re-cover amps/cabs?

I have a set of older Carvin cabs that are covered with the gray ozite (carpet like material) and it's getting old and dirty looking and my friends cats use my cabs as scratching posts. I just want to get them redone in black tolex to match my head.

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

Have you considered doing it yourself?

Getting the old covering off is probably going to be a time-consuming pain in the arse, but not impossible. And putting on new Tolex is not that bad.

There have some cab restoration threads in this forum and they turn out really nice.

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Did you ask Carvin?

There's a fellow out here that does a 4-12 for around $250. I just did one myself for about a $100 with new tolex, grillcloth, glue and sandpaper

4. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

That carpets a pain to get off. I spray paint all my cabs with flat black enamel (rustoleum, or the krylon version.) Thats includes the carvin carpet cab. I spray right over the carpet, and it totally looks great from the stage. I razor off any hanging fuzz or strings first.

If its for close up inspection, I'd call carvin as well since your in SoCal.

keep in mind: Cats can mangle tolex too.

5. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

if you can take the carpet off retolexing a cab isnt all that hard. just make sure you use the right material when putting on the tolex.