Re-entrant tunings?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tony Done, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Do any of you use a re-entrant tuning on guitar, apart from Nashville? I've tried them for opening tunings for slide and lap steel, and I'm looking for ideas and inspiration to revisit them

2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

No, but Pat Metheny made interesting use of one on his baritone guitar on that "One Quiet Night" album.

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I don't currently have guitar in a re-rentrant tuning, but I have a Charango.

I did used to have a guitar, that I only used on one song, where every string was an A. Three strings, including the one in place of the low E, B and high E , were tuned to the A above the normal G string. The other three strings were tuned the same as the normal A string.

That was technically re-entrant.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

a tuning where the strings do not move consistently from lowest to highest in pitch

Stick and Warr Guitar type instruments have re-entrant tunings, I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reentrant_tuning

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

My wife sometimes wakes me a half hour or so after the act and wants me to... oh never mind.

eclecticsynergy and guitarjazz like this.
  7. slybird

slybird Member

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

geek-mo, huw, JimmyB and 6 others like this.
  9. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Thanks for the replies. The most well-known instruments using re-entrant tuning in the west are the soprano and concert uke and the 5-string banjo.

I didn't realise the charango was tuned like that, although I saw them often enough when I lived in Colombia.

I'll look into Pat Metheny's stuff.

10. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Does pedal steel count?

Low to high - B-D-E-F#-G#-B-E-G#-D#-F#

11. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Lol, was just going to post that. Was playing mine about the time you did post. :)

BadHat likes this.
  12. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

14. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

You know, the wise -ass " try Google!" or " you might wanna try a new place, called YouTube!" responses every time someone asks a question in a TGP thread is a little tiring, and rude.
    We COULD find out out EVERYTHING by going to Google, but honestly, I thought we went to Forums to converse, be social... share.

15. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Which octaves are all those strings? I have trouble with 6, never mind 10. :)

16. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

The low B is the 5th string 2nd fret on a regular 6 string, the high G sharp is like the 4th fret on your 1st string. I don't know anything about the octave designation numbers. That open D# is the bane of my existence. :D

17. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

The 4th string, the E, is the same as the high E on guitar. Then, basically an open E tuning going down, with the F# (9) and D (7) thrown in. Above the E is a G#. It is very much like an E13 no pedal steel tuning, as that is what it is based on. The F# on the first string is interesting. Buddy Emmons wanted that to be able to do diatonic runs, without using a pedal or moving the bar. On the first steel he did it on, he put it in place of the lowest string, so it was REALLY out of order. However, I have read that joaquin murphey did something similar of putting an extra high tuned string in the lowest position on his non pedal, so it probably was not That crazy of an idea, though for the life of me, I don't know how they played it, lol. Then, they added the D# but then moved both to the top.

The pedal steel went through a lot of changes in the late 50s, early 60s, it was a new instrument and people were adding strings and pedals and knee levers all over the place. It pretty much settled down by the late 60s with basically what we know today.

The arrangement is really odd until you play it. You have all you normal melody stuff all together, and when you need a note that isn't right there with the strings and pedals, you can grab it with the middle finger pick up on top. Like most guys, I have knee levers on the top two strings too, so it give me a ton of possibilities, by lowering and raising those. I have a cool raise on the F# that gives me a 7 that I can't get any other way than having the F# and a half step raise on it. It's pretty cool, actually.

guitarjazz likes this.
  18. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

How so?

19. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I suppose someone could have replied to the OP that "google is your friend". The google-snark gets old when it is wrongly applied.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Scary Uncle G. and Bluedano1 like this.
  20. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I just think of a TGP thread as just being a conversation
    If someone were to ask me, face to face, or on the phone, a question that I may know the answer to I would answer, instead of just say "why don't you Google it!"