• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Re: Fender price increases...do we need more guitars?

Jeff Michael

A serious question! How many has Fender made in their history? And then: where are they all? Surely the number of guitarists goes up as new players take it up...but also goes down as starters quit and/or veteran players die. But the number of guitars just keeps going up and up, minus I guess those that get smashed or burned up in fires.

Essentially, hasn't the combined output of all the guitar factories added up to way more guitars than guitarists?

Are they all in climate-controlled Japanese basements?

JAM

padavis

Not sure if this is really a real question and that you really want real discussion but I'll bite. I think its like everything else we just aren't very practical. Its just our nature. We all need more than one and different kinds. And, we need new and old. And, we need to qualify everything and help others buy things we have and then we gotta say things like you'll never believe what I just got and then they gotta go get what you just got and so on...

T

TheArchitect

A serious question! How many has Fender made in their history? And then: where are they all? Surely the number of guitarists goes up as new players take it up...but also goes down as starters quit and/or veteran players die. But the number of guitars just keeps going up and up, minus I guess those that get smashed or burned up in fires.

Essentially, hasn't the combined output of all the guitar factories added up to way more guitars than guitarists?

Are they all in climate-controlled Japanese basements?

JAM
What does this have to do with price increases?

Jeff Michael

I guess what I was asking about was the nature of durable goods in general. Which is to say, I don't think guitars at large are getting tossed into landfills or burned up. So won't the pent-up supply eventually meet and/or exceed demand, at which point the manufacture of more becomes unnecessary? Like the car that gets 300K miles. Or everlasting gobstoppers.

Arch: actually Dann answered your question: I was talking about the price increase at a music store when all the racks and racks of shiny new guitars got me thinking along these lines.

It's funny: the solidbody electric guitar as a concept is more or less about sixty years old. And the massive cultural importance of guitars goes back about forty-five years, if you'll spot me using the Beatles on Sullivan as the tipping point on that one. So if we arbitrarily call fifty years ago the beginning of the guitar's dominance (which is only a little bit past Elvis and Chuck Berry hitting the scene), it's reasonable to conclude that the first generation of guitar nuts are still alive but pretty old.

And now suddenly I'm thinking about the glut of used guitars that will be hitting the market over the next few decades as the boomers start dying off and their collections get liquidated.

JAM

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
We sometimes forget that it is now a world market. I think we'll continue to see demand for guitars (vintage and otherwise) here in the USA, but it will be tempered a bit by the current economic slowdown. I predict a lot more trading with incremental cash changing hands, compared to more all cash deals a few years ago on used stuff.

What will be interesting will be the demand from China, India, and other emerging economies. The guitar is iconic worldwide, and the classic designs are reinforced through the last 50 years of music history, as well as the manufacturers' promotion of "reissue" models.

I don't think we will see a "selloff' and reduction in market price of vintage guitars, at least not the clean unmodded blue chip stuff.

nomadh

Should be happening already with '57 chevy's but it doesn't seem to be happening. I suspect many nice ones will become family heirlooms. They take up alot less room than a car. Imagine a future 18 yr old in a band getting the family '59 goldtop. The rest are taken by collectors. Look what speculators did to the oil market recently. Maybe we'll see some original '57 strats shake loose for $400 someday :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom