Re-finished / re-covered amps

emmaporkchop

Supporting Member
Anyone want to share pictures of their amps they've had refinished / recovered? Lets see them!
I should have mine back by the end of the week, it was a mess.

JimRad

Homebuilt tubetown ac18 vox ac15 clones in homebuilt headshells on top of homebuilt 15" cabs in front of homebuilt tolex covered pedalboard, played on homebuilt steampunk partscaster :)

/Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-21-21-55-17-696.jpeg
    Screenshot_2022-11-21-21-55-17-696.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 72

Roccorobb

Silver Supporting Member
Homebuilt tubetown ac18 vox ac15 clones in homebuilt headshells on top of homebuilt 15" cabs in front of homebuilt tolex covered pedalboard, played on homebuilt steampunk partscaster :)

/Jim
You win the internet today

terickson

Gold Supporting Member

Hackubus

Silver Supporting Member

Recently redid the grill cloth on this old mini stack I had. None of the three pieces of grill were a match, and the bottom cab had some water damage. It was pretty gross. A little Simple Green and a good scrubbing with a hand brush knocked back a long of the mung and grunge in the tolex.

I found a functional and best of all, cheap! G10-D25 speaker on Reverb for the upper cab. If I hadn't put this on consignment at my friendly local guitar shop, I totally would have stuck some 10 inch GBs in this baby.

A previous owner before me went to the trouble of bolting the two cabs together. I wasn't originally so hot on the idea, but after wallering around the three pieces around on my worktable, I decided that maybe that wasn't such a terrible idea after all, so I bolted the cabs back together.

The speaker jack cups were long gone, so I found a nice set online. This necessitated making some new straight speaker cables. The suspicious looking molded right-angle cables that had been floating around in the back of the cabs were tossed out.

The MDF back panel of the bottom cab had some water damage and was distorted and puffy at every screw hole. The opposite of side this MDF panel was nice and straight, however. A couple of coats of black primer on the good side, flipped that dude around and all was right again.

I wish, I wish, I wish someone would make the checkerboard cloth with the smaller squares like they had back in the 70s.

Last edited:

JimRad

Wow, that looks great! Hope mine turns out as well. How long did all that take you?

Assembling a tube head took me about 8 hours, a head or a cabinet is built in around 6 hours in plywood and tolexing takes a day or two, most of the time waiting for the glue to dry.

The guitar was about 10 hours I think, most of the time spent on all those steampunk addons, the acrylic 'rust' painting of parts and some relicing (beating it with chains!) and the steelwool+vinegar treatment. I always spend some time levelling and polishing frets before assembling the electronics.

/Jim

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Boogie DC2. Started out black. I did a re-tolex to red. Then decided to go with raw wood. Rippin' little amp.

Al

Attachments

• Finished Side.jpg
    Finished Side.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Finished DC2.jpg
    Finished DC2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DC-2 -2.JPG
    DC-2 -2.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Red Studio Caliber.JPG
    Red Studio Caliber.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Sanding Cabinet.JPG
    Sanding Cabinet.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP2197.JPG
    IMGP2197.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 20

jherman

Silver Supporting Member
My 63 Bassman’s original tolex was heavily painted black and basically falling off.

I sent it and it’s 2x12 cab off to get recovered but never really like how “ new” the modern repro wheat grill cloth looked. I made a new front panel and had it covered with tooled leather by a hot shot hide pounder.

It’s on a modern Fender 4x12 in this pic not it’s original cab
C2A1DDDA-BD59-4D9E-9B3D-C06099159039.jpeg

jherman

Silver Supporting Member
This one isn’t a recover as much a repurpose. I had Armadillo Amp Works build me a 2x10” combo cab for this Bassman using an old grill cloth I had I think it was from Showman cab. It has just the right amount of stank but still some silvery sparkle only vintage amps have.
073601B8-819E-4EE7-B14D-8578CEEB1141.jpeg

Roccorobb

Silver Supporting Member
My 63 Bassman’s original tolex was heavily painted black and basically falling off.

I sent it and it’s 2x12 cab off to get recovered but never really like how “ new” the modern repro wheat grill cloth looked. I made a new front panel and had it covered with tooled leather by a hot shot hide pounder.

It’s on a modern Fender 4x12 in this pic not it’s original cab View attachment 787948
Love the tooled leather!

OMG

Boogie DC2. Started out black. I did a re-tolex to red. Then decided to go with raw wood. Rippin' little amp.

Al
its not really that hard to get the grill cloth right. Remove and re-staple a couple staples above and below! I’ll bet Leo F had to do it a few times back in the day :)

OMG

Made a cabinet for my 79 DR, dropped 5 lbs, and I think it sounds better now, and it don't look too bad either.

Beautiful. Pine!

i tried to get Kerry Wright to do that for a 2005 THD Bivalve idea w/curved grill cloth over the pre amp tubes. “No curved cabinetry” sayeth Kerry!

(has he passed away?)

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
its not really that hard to get the grill cloth right. Remove and re-staple a couple staples above and below! I’ll bet Leo F had to do it a few times back in the day :)

That was actually the easiest part....

Al

Reactions: OMG

Trending Topics

Top Bottom