Re-housed my first pedal today, check it out...

jshaffer23

So I picked up a Danelctro Cool Cat Trem and a Vibe this past week. They sound awesome but the UGLY cases and top mounted knobs HAD to go. I bought two powder coated enclosures from PedalPartsPlus and got busy today. I decided to do the trem first and man was it a major pain!!!:mad: The hard/soft pot has TEN pins and de-soldering them was just stupid hard. I kept my cool and got it done in about six hours total. The outcome was totally worth it, it is so much easier to use now with the knobs in the right spot and I also placed the jacks offset to my other pedals so I could get them closer together. The vibe is next, I think it will be alot easier.

From this....

To this....

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! I need to talk with you. I've got one torn apart in a box in my closet right now. I thought it would be easy and then I never could figure out how to get it done.

I'd pay you for a step-by-step guide! Also, let me know what enclosure you used.

jshaffer23

Wow! I need to talk with you. I've got one torn apart in a box in my closet right now. I thought it would be easy and then I never could figure out how to get it done.

I'd pay you for a step-by-step guide! Also, let me know what enclosure you used.
I used a Hammond 125B. Everything fits just about perfect in it. Not alot of room to spare though. When I do the next one I will take pics of everything. I have two more Cool Cats to do so it shouldnt be a problem.

vindrewski

That looks great! A step-by-step guide would be awesome. Had a friend try to re-house a Dano TOD once, but he botched it and it didn't work. Cheap pedal, so no big deal. But man, those things are ridiculous looking. They look like a toy that should have wheels on the bottom and have a Thundercat action figure riding on top of it.

ttasselm

Nice, well done. I always liked the cool cat pedals, but was just afraid to step on that cheap enclosure!

Agitator

Congrats. I wish I was crafty enough to try something like that. I'm the kind of guy who can usually guess which end of a soldering iron to grab, but that's about it. But I do like those Cool Cat pedals and I've got three now (Vibe, Trem, TOD).

ONFLOOR AUDIO

Very nice work !!!

I have done several of the CTO-1 Transparent OD's for guys , they are a pretty
good sounding pedal for the money imo ......and look a whole lot better after a
Hammond face lift !

Cool Stuff JShaffer !!!

RayMonty

Thats Great! Hoping to do something similar. Could the Soft/Hard pot be replaced with a mini toggle or would that mess the workings up?

jshaffer23

Thats Great! Hoping to do something similar. Could the Soft/Hard pot be replaced with a mini toggle or would that mess the workings up?
That was originally my plan but the dang thing has ten pins. Not sure how the toggle would be wired up?

jshaffer23

I finished the vibe today. It was alot easier! I had a little more trouble making the board and everything fit but I got it all in there and it works perfect. I might do some graphics for them. Not real sure yet. Any ideas for that?

Gut shot. I covered the board in electrical tape because it is really close to the lid....

Trending Topics