Re-purpose SS AMP combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Larry Esposito, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

1. Larry Esposito

Larry Esposito Supporting Member

I recently got bitten by the tube amp bug after getting a Tungsten Mosaic MkII and a DR Z MAS 18.
    For the MAZ 18, I purchased an AVATAR 1x12 cabinet.

I like the idea of separate cab and heads, looking at a few tube based heads or at least they are on my wishlist.

I started thinking, why couldn't I use my SS amp cabs. Are there any downsides to this?

I have a Mustang III 1x12 and a Boss Katana Artist. The Artist actually has a 1/4 wire going from the speaker to the amp already. Anyone do this, or is this a bad idea?

DeadLazy likes this.
  2. drewl

drewl Member

Sure you can do it.

I usually gut SS amps and turn them into tube amps.

I have a 70's SS Marshall 2x12 combo I gutted and turned into a 1987/2204.

looks and sounds great.
    next up is a Gibson G50 I'm turning into a Dumble clone.

Larry Esposito likes this.
  3. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

:munch

Although I like my Artist, I've thought about this as well. The only downside I can think of is the Waza speaker being designed specifically for the Katana Artist, so it may not sound as good with another amp.

4. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

Maz18 owner here as well. My favorite over all amp but that sort of flops back and forth between the Maz and a Dr Z ZLux. Such good amps.

Someone already mentioned this I’d wager but I just have a little adapter for 1/4 cables that works with either instrument cables (if I need a longer length for a stage I don’t like to do it but I can join two together in a pinch) and speaker
    cables. It cost about 4$.

I use it to pirate the cab for Mesa my Stiletto from time to time. It’s a bad ass closed back combo with 2 vintage 30’s. I’ll put my Maz18 on that from time to time.

It’s just a little steel tube about 2-3 inches long. I purchased mine from a Guitar Center.

It’s really handy.

Just unplug my Mesa from the cab and plug that speaker cable into one end and the speaker cable leading from the Maz into another and you can do it without altering a thing about your amp.

Obviousl, quadruple check everything but it locks in tight.

I don’t do it as often now that I’m stocked up on various cabs:

Mesa 4x10 AR works great with the Maz.

A closed back EVH 2x12 I got cheap: likes the Maz a lot more than than the ZLux.

A Peavey 1x12 that can open or close back with a Greenback in it. Sounds so good not just for it’s price. It comes with a proper UK chelation Green. The ZLux loves that.

My Maz just seems to rock everything.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    Larry Esposito likes this.
  5. Larry Esposito

What exactly is this? Do you have a picture or link to one?

6. Larry Esposito

I toyed with selling mine, but for the price, it might make a good cab. I actually think the construction/weight of the cab plus the Waza might be a positive rather than negative. I will try it this weekend with the MAZ and report back.

Doomrider78 likes this.
  7. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

It’s a f/f joint that attaches two 1/4” cables together.

I’d test it with two instrument cables first just to make sure the connection is good.

I’ve never had a problem but of course an amp without load = dead amp.

Shots of the adapter and two speaker cables linked. So scroll through there are three pics.

Again I just got mine at guitar center. 4$ and change I think.

I don’t really do it anymore now that I have enough cabs because I’m overly cautious. Now it’s just for a stage that’s big and I prefer the shortest possible cable. If I get in a pinch and I need to join cables together, rather than have a bunch of cables I’ll join two in a pinch.

I don’t think it effects sound quality other than with your guitar plugged in via instrument cables, you now have more cable between you and your amp.

There’s not anything there but a stainless steel cylinder so it might even be well shielded.

**Never leave it like that when you’re finished if you have friends like mine and they just flip amps on without checking.

I mean I’m cautious and don’t leave amps plugged in and usually put them away and don’t leave them on a cab. Just so nobody does that. They’ve done that when they’re all hooked up, fortunately. But you could get spacey, too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 5:45 PM