• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

RE Ron Ellis pickups

ttbear

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, folks,curious,what is the price, direct from Ron for his Strat,and Humbucker pickups?.There seems to be some profiteering going on.Thanks.D

daveanto21

Gold Supporting Member
He currently charges $575 for Telecaster and Stratocaster sets, $600 for P90 sets, and $750 for humbucker sets.
He’s extremely hard to get in touch with and lead times are long. Hence the profiteering.

I have never had a problem getting a hold of someone from Ron's shop. Right now all his sets are $525 with the exception of humbucker sets which are $700. Lead times are 3-5 months. Used prices have come down a little because of this.

MrGuitarhack

I recently ordered a set of strat pickups and here's the info from the product list he sent me. I found the best way to get in touch with them is via the gmail account listed on their facebook page. Remember this is a second job for him and you'll have to be patient.

Ron Ellis Pickups Product List

Telecaster Sets

($575 for a bridge and neck set)
Our Tele bridge offerings include the era correct 52T, 50B, 60T, and 50/60T.
● 52T is THEBlackguard sound, smokey, woody, and wiry. Has the classic
beautiful compression, bloom, and overall feel. This pickup covers a wide
range of classic Tele sounds.
● 50B has a nice harmonic and musical “hair" that surrounds the fundamental notes.
It has a little more in the upper mids and top end vs the standard 52T Blackguard.
Yet it retains all the beautiful Blackguard era pickup compression and bloom on the
notes. This pickup reproduces the original Broadcaster specifications.
● 60T has a more fundamental sound and feel than the 52T. It has the classic
authoritative late 50’s to mid-60’s sound and feel, yet still retains a beautiful bell
like sound. The 60T is representative of the classic bakersfield whitetop sound, a
true rock n’ roll staple.
● 50/60T is a blend of the 52T and 60T in one pickup. It has a more fundamental
sound and feel on the E, A and D strings. Yet, it maintains beautiful compression,
bloom, and pliability on the G, B and E strings. This pickup offers the “best of both
worlds” of the 52T and 60T.

Our Tele neck offerings include the Standard Plus, Standard Plus JL, and Mid Tall.
● Standard Plus is the most vintage like Tele neck sound. It has warmth, clarity,
depth and an overall great feeling tone.
● Standard Plus JL is a lower wound version made for Julian Lage, to replicate the
neck
pickup in his 1954 Tele. He is currently using the JL in two of his Nachocaster Teles.
It
has nice scooped mids and is a bit more pronounced high and low frequencies.
● Mid Tall has extended upper mids and clarity on top of the classic vintage tone. It
makes a classic Tele sound a bit more Stratlike. This extended range makes the
Mid Tall a very versatile pickup.
Please specify both a bridge and neck pickup when ordering. Allcombinations work well
together as a set.

Stratocaster Sets
($575 for a set of 3 pickups)
Our Strat offerings include era correct 54S, 57S, 64S, sets as well as the Mid 60s and
50/60s sets.
● 54S set is an accurate recreation of the first year Strat pickups. Early Strat pickups
used a different type magnet, magnet stagger and wind pattern than the later
versions. This set has nice compression and bloom on the notes, resulting in a
beautiful harmonic note quality. They have a great vintage feel under your fingers.
● 57S set has the classic mid to late 50’s tone. Think Jimmy Vaughan, Anson
Funderburgh, to current Josh Smith and Kirk Fletcher sound. They are clear and
vibrant sounding; yet retain a sweet and bell-like tone.
● 64S set has the classic early to mid-60’s Strat sound. They are a bit rounder and
deeper sounding on the notes than the 57 set. This set was designed using
measurements taken from the pickups in Doyle Bramhall II’s original ‘64 Strat.
Doyle, Kirk Fletcher and a number of Nashville and L.A. artists are using the 64S.
● Mid 60S set is a fatter wound version of the 64S set. This provides a punchier
tone and more mid-range compared to the 64 set. This set has the Stevie Ray
Vaughan true Texas tone.
● 50/60S set is a blend of the best of the 54 and 64 sets combined in one. This is
one of my most versatile and popular sets of pickups. They have a tight punchy
sound on the E, A and D strings and a beautiful compression and bloom on the G,
B and E strings. These sound great in any Strat wood combination because of their
beautiful overall string and pickup balance. The 50/60S has the John Mayer tone
written all over them.

P90 Sets
($600 for a bridge and neck set)
Our P90 sets include the 50P and 60P.
● 50P are the lower wind 50’s style P90s. They have a clear single note sound with a
harmonic musical “hair” surrounding the fundamental notes. The 50P produces a
beautiful harmonic and rich sound. Early P90s are some of the most musical and
fun to play pickups ever made and the 50P recreates this accurately. They deliver
that sweet classic sound and feel of the 50’s and early 60’s rock and roll.
Please specify either Soapbar or Dogear style cover and a color. These come in
black, white or cream. The covers are exact duplicates of original P90 sets.

Humbucker Sets
($750 for a set)
Our Humbucker sets include the LRP and Signature sets.
Our PAF nickel silver covers are historically correct. Specify covered or uncovered
and for uncovered the desired color combination. Color combinations include black &
black bobbin and black & cream for uncovered.
● The LRP set was first produced for the 2012 Lee Roy Parnell Signature Les Paul.
I worked with Lee Roy and the Gibson custom shop to design a replica of the
PAF’s that were in Duane Allman’s original ‘57 Goldtop Les Paul. This same set
of pickups was later installed into Duane’s ‘59 Cherry Burst Les Paul. The LRP
pickups have the classic, clear, articulate, and harmonically rich authentic PAF
sound.
● The Signature set is my own recipe in creating the ultimate Humbucker style
pickup. I’ve always preferred PAFs that have a clear single coil sound and feel.
The Signature set produces less mid-range content and signal going into the
front end of the amp. The Signature set uses a unique recipe to deliver the best
of the best PAF sound and feel.
When deciding between the LRP and Signature sets, the LRPs have more of a traditional
old PAF sound. The LRPs have more mid-range content and deliver a stronger signal into
the front of the amp.
The Signature set has a more even frequency response and lower output going into the
amp. They combine the great Humbucker harmonic complexity and the feel and clarity
of single coils.

Last edited:

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
I have never had a problem getting a hold of someone from Ron's shop. Right now all his sets are $525 with the exception of humbucker sets which are $700. Lead times are 3-5 months. Used prices have come down a little because of this.
Yeah, I ordered 7 or 8 sets from them. It took 2 months of emailing to even get them to respond to a request for pricing. After I placed the order I had a follow-up question. Weeks ago. No response. I’d say they are probably the least responsive group I’ve ever bought anything from.

The pricing you list isn’t current.

daveanto21

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I ordered 7 or 8 sets from them. It took 2 months of emailing to even get them to respond to a request for pricing. After I placed the order I had a follow-up question. Weeks ago. No response. I’d say they are probably the least responsive group I’ve ever bought anything from.

The pricing you list isn’t current.
Dang, yeah that is pretty bad. Sorry you are having that issue. Those were the prices I was given 1/28/21. I imagine they could change at any time.

mcmSEA

Gold Supporting Member
Here's a price list and product descriptions I got this morning from them (4/16/21). They responded within a day:

Ron Ellis Pickups Product List
Telecaster Sets

($575 for a bridge and neck set)

Our Tele bridge offerings include the era correct 52T, 50B, 60T, and 50/60T.

● 52T is THE Blackguard sound, smokey, woody, and wiry. Has the classic beautiful compression, bloom, and overall feel. This pickup covers a wide range of classic Tele sounds.

● 50B has a nice harmonic and musical “hair" that surrounds the fundamental notes. It has a little more in the upper mids and top end vs the standard 52T Blackguard. Yet it retains all the beautiful Blackguard era pickup compression and bloom on the notes. This pickup reproduces the original Broadcaster specifications.

● 60T has a more fundamental sound and feel than the 52T. It has the classic authoritative late 50’s to mid-60’s sound and feel, yet still retains a beautiful bell like sound. The 60T is representative of the classic bakersfield whitetop sound, a true rock n’ roll staple.

● 50/60T is a blend of the 52T and 60T in one pickup. It has a more fundamental sound and feel on the E, A and D strings. Yet, it maintains beautiful compression, bloom, and pliability on the G, B and E strings. This pickup offers the “best of both worlds” of the 52T and 60T.

Our Tele neck offerings include the Standard Plus, Standard Plus JL, and Mid Tall.

● Standard Plus is the most vintage like Tele neck sound. It has warmth, clarity, depth and an overall great feeling tone.

● Standard Plus JL is a lower wound version made for Julian Lage, to replicate the neck

pickup in his 1954 Tele. He is currently using the JL in two of his Nachocaster Teles. It

has nice scooped mids and is a bit more pronounced high and low frequencies. ● Mid Tall has extended upper mids and clarity on top of the classic vintage tone. It makes a classic Tele sound a bit more Stratlike. This extended range makes the Mid Tall a very versatile pickup.

Please specify both a bridge and neck pickup when ordering. Allcombinations work well together as a set.

Stratocaster Sets
($575 for a set of 3 pickups)

Our Strat offerings include era correct 54S, 57S, 64S, sets as well as the Mid 60s and 50/60s sets.

● 54S set is an accurate recreation of the first year Strat pickups. Early Strat pickups used a different type magnet, magnet stagger and wind pattern than the later versions. This set has nice compression and bloom on the notes, resulting in a beautiful harmonic note quality. They have a great vintage feel under your fingers.

● 57S set has the classic mid to late 50’s tone. Think Jimmy Vaughan, Anson Funderburgh, to current Josh Smith and Kirk Fletcher sound. They are clear and vibrant sounding; yet retain a sweet and bell-like tone.

● 64S set has the classic early to mid-60’s Strat sound. They are a bit rounder and deeper sounding on the notes than the 57 set. This set was designed using measurements taken from the pickups in Doyle Bramhall II’s original ‘64 Strat. Doyle, Kirk Fletcher and a number of Nashville and L.A. artists are using the 64S.

● Mid 60S set is a fatter wound version of the 64S set. This provides a punchier tone and more mid-range compared to the 64 set. This set has the Stevie Ray Vaughan true Texas tone.

● 50/60S set is a blend of the best of the 54 and 64 sets combined in one. This is one of my most versatile and popular sets of pickups. They have a tight punchy sound on the E, A and D strings and a beautiful compression and bloom on the G, B and E strings. These sound great in any Strat wood combination because of their beautiful overall string and pickup balance. The 50/60S has the John Mayer tone written all over them.

P90 Sets

($600 for a bridge and neck set)

Our P90 sets include the 50P and 60P.

● 50P are the lower wind 50’s style P90s. They have a clear single note sound with a harmonic musical “hair” surrounding the fundamental notes. The 50P produces a beautiful harmonic and rich sound. Early P90s are some of the most musical and fun to play pickups ever made and the 50P recreates this accurately. They deliver

that sweet classic sound and feel of the 50’s and early 60’s rock and roll. These are the standard P90s.

● 60P are a little bit of a fatter wind, with a higher output than the 50P. It bumps the mid-range more, but loses a little bit of the low and high clarity.

Please specify either Soapbar or Dogear style cover and a color. These come in black, white or cream. The covers are exact duplicates of original P90 sets.

Humbucker Sets
($750 for a set)

Our Humbucker sets include the LRP and Signature sets.

Our PAF nickel silver covers are historically correct. Specify covered or uncovered and for uncovered the desired color combination. Color combinations include black & black bobbin and black & cream for uncovered.

● The LRP set was first produced for the 2012 Lee Roy Parnell Signature Les Paul. I worked with Lee Roy and the Gibson custom shop to design a replica of the PAF’s that were in Duane Allman’s original ‘57 Goldtop Les Paul. This same set of pickups was later installed into Duane’s ‘59 Cherry Burst Les Paul. The LRP pickups have the classic, clear, articulate, and harmonically rich authentic PAF sound.

● The Signature set is my own recipe in creating the ultimate Humbucker style pickup. I’ve always preferred PAFs that have a clear single coil sound and feel. The Signature set produces less mid-range content and signal going into the front end of the amp. The Signature set uses a unique recipe to deliver the best of the best PAF sound and feel.

When deciding between the LRP and Signature sets, the LRPs have more of a traditional old PAF sound. The LRPs have more mid-range content and deliver a stronger signal into the front of the amp.

The Signature set has a more even frequency response and lower output going into the amp. They combine the great Humbucker harmonic complexity and the feel and clarity of single coils.

dazco

The guy apparently believes that his pickups are so good it gives him the right to treat his customers any way he wants. If i paid that kind of $ and got no response for weeks or months i'd be contacting paypal or my bank to stop payment. After what i have read here, even if i could afford them I'd pass on principle alone. People should boycott the guy's product and give him a taste of reality.

Sobbincat

Platinum Supporting Member
The guy apparently believes that his pickups are so good it gives him the right to treat his customers any way he wants. If i paid that kind of $ and got no response for weeks or months i'd be contacting paypal or my bank to stop payment. After what i have read here, even if i could afford them I'd pass on principle alone. People should boycott the guy's product and give him a taste of reality.

Eff that $hit. We're talking about tone. And to a musician tone is foremost. It's not really a matter of business, and obviously it really never was much of a business. If wait time or business terms don't suit you, move on. No reason to be calling for a retributive boycott.

dazco

Eff that $hit. We're talking about tone. And to a musician tone is foremost. It's not really a matter of business, and obviously it really never was much of a business. If wait time or business terms don't suit you, move on. No reason to be calling for a retributive boycott.
Doesn't change my mind about it. Cr@p CS is cr@p CS no matter how you look at it, and if it were fender that treated customers like that they'd be crucified here to the point it would make TGP look like a Gibson fan club. Attitudes like yours are what enable business' like his to do what they do. I vote with my wallet.

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
Mr. Ellis can run his business anyway he pleases. That being said, paying upfront
& waiting months for a product with little/no contact isn't my kinda way of doing
such. Life's too short. There are plenty of other winders out there who can do
better to get pups in your hands. :cool:

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
So I'm sure Ron Ellis pickups are some of the best out there. And that's why they have a premium price. But all I can say is I've owned many vintage guitars with real PAF.s, Fenders from the 1950s as well.
They were not all great so I have no bias towards newer pickups from boutique winders and or larger companies like Seymour Duncan or Gibson.

If your looking for great pickups at reasonable prices there is no better era than today.

woof*

Doesn't change my mind about it. Cr@p CS is cr@p CS no matter how you look at it, and if it were fender that treated customers like that they'd be crucified here to the point it would make TGP look like a Gibson fan club. Attitudes like yours are what enable business' like his to do what they do. I vote with my wallet.
Really sounds like these pickups are not for you. I recommend you not buy them.

There is no way I could bring myself to spend that much on pickups.
I'm sure they're probably good, but $750 for a humbucker set?
Seems crazy to me, but if it works for you, have at it.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
What is especially great is that he was floating numerous pickup sets to Mick at That Pedal Show with seemingly no wait, while others were waiting on their orders for long beyond the quoted period.

Kmaz

Ron took his lucky break, and broke it in two.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom