• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

RE Ron Ellis pickups

Chris F

The guy apparently believes that his pickups are so good it gives him the right to treat his customers any way he wants. If i paid that kind of $ and got no response for weeks or months i'd be contacting paypal or my bank to stop payment. After what i have read here, even if i could afford them I'd pass on principle alone. People should boycott the guy's product and give him a taste of reality.
I don’t know anything about Ron’s pickups or his customer service.
I did, however, order a set of blues specials for my tele from Lindy Fralin. I had and issue/challenge with mounting the neck pickup to my pick guard and emailed customer service at Fralin. The next day, I got a call, “hi, this is Lindy Fralin. Let’s see how we can figure this out…” I’ll say that’s customer service…

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
Well, to be fair, starting your messages with "Hey, m*****f***** what's wrong with you?" is probably not going to get a reply from him.

[ I'm 100% kidding - the joke simply wrote itself... ]
Wait, cursing at the recipient doesn’t work?!! Why didn’t you tell me that BEFORE?

justonwo

Dont own any but have tested them in some customer guitars. Didn't hear anything magic that would justify the price.
Yeah, I like them but I’m pretty happy with most single coils in the end. Fender, Ellis, or otherwise.

Rollocaster

Ron Ellis 50B and Mid Tall pickups.... what hype ?

Decided to mod my Nocaster Reissue .... Didn't like the saddles, went for Rutter aged comp brass ... Pickups were not anything special (for a masterbuilt...) pickups were excellent yet not what i was looking for.... Decided to pull the trigger on Ron Ellis 50B and Mid Tall... Tried everything but those one... What it worth the hype... what triggered my attention was the Bill Hullett post some time ago here or elsewhere ... Everything he says. I concur. and would not dare add anything ! Respect and thanks. (Ps: Bill Hullett ... if still of this world.. I too, kept the 52T/Std+ pickups (Great pups))... But 50B's are in a league of its own... Mid tall.... Simply the best neck pickup i ever played.... In between.... Dyna Gretschy#Jazzmaster .... Crazy ! (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...not-world.html, if you want to read first hand).

In one sentence. or two.... These pickups were as good as the best, and sometimes definitely better than vintage 50s I played. End of story. End of search. Playing jumped 500%.... Gear selling jumped 500%.... Not playing any of my vintage Gibson anymore. This guitar does it all in any pickup/tone/volume position .... and same goes for amp setting.....

Mind-blowing experience. Like so many Mission is accomplished. What started this pickup thing was the theft of my vintage ‘51 Esquire. I had lost something special. Well, with my new Nocaster (now with Rutters comp saddles, wow !!! too there !) equipped with Ron Ellis 50B/Mid Tall pickups I’m the happiest guitar player ever. I don’t miss one bit my bygone Esquire. Not one bit. There isn’t one tone that was left out on all or any positions … I don’t need anything else. Now I have a guitar that sounds exactly like what’s in my head and fingers and the amp appears to agree (65 Fender Champ with added delay and reverb ! Just simple, unexplainable Bat s_it crazy "Tele tones" you have in your head… but true ! Search over. I’m just playing and playing and playing. Mission accomplished ! My playing has already hit a different sky …. That I once thought was forbidden ! No more ! Thanks for this rare answered prayer ! Rock ‘n’ Roll never dies. Rust never sleeps ! I've been lurking for years at the gear page.... Decided it was time to come out and say, as the happiest crazy Tele Aficionado that Ron Ellis Pickups are awesome sounding pickups ! Out of this world Better than good pickup. Waited 4 months .... yes. Paid in advance .... Yes ! But i have been waiting an even longer period of solar time on that Holy Grail pickup and countless amounts of money..... Been Playing blues, western swing, jump, rock, surf, rockabilly, R&R, Electric blues, heavy metal, progressive rock, Sludge, ska, punk, reggae (anything but polka !) on those two little Ron Ellis pickups !!!

One word of advice. Save money. Save time. Go with with Ron Ellis pickups..... or go through the ordeal like most of us go through....

A little picture as some kind of souvenir for you guys …. Worth … A thousand words !

20211108_170401.jpg

By the way... Just received my copy of Nachos latest act of love (author of The Blackguard Book) : The Pinecaster Book: Early electric guitars 1920-1925. Weights a ton. Hours, months, years of reading...... Waiting 4-5 months here too, paid in advance, so what.

Last edited:

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member

Decided to mod my Nocaster Reissue .... Didn't like the saddles, went for Rutter aged comp brass ... Pickups were not anything special (for a masterbuilt...) pickups were excellent yet not what i was looking for.... Decided to pull the trigger on Ron Ellis 50B and Mid Tall... Tried everything but those one... What it worth the hype... what triggered my attention was the Bill Hullett post some time ago here or elsewhere ... Everything he says. I concur. and would not dare add anything ! Respect and thanks. (Ps: Bill Hullett ... if still of this world.. I too, kept the 52T/Std+ pickups (Great pups))... But 50B's are in a league of its own... Mid tall.... Simply the best neck pickup i ever played.... In between.... Dyna Gretschy#Jazzmaster .... Crazy !

In one sentence. or two.... These pickups were as good as the best, and sometimes definitely better than vintage 50s I played. End of story. End of search. Playing jumped 500%.... Gear selling jumped 500%.... Not playing any of my vintage Gibson anymore. This guitar does it all in any pickup/tone/volume position .... and same goes for amp setting.....

Mind-blowing experience. Like so many Mission is accomplished. What started this pickup thing was the theft of my vintage ‘51 Esquire. I had lost something special. Well, with my new Nocaster (now with Rutters comp saddles, wow !!! too there !) equipped with Ron Ellis 50B/Mid Tall pickups I’m the happiest guitar player ever. I don’t miss one bit my bygone Esquire. Not one bit. There isn’t one tone that was left out on all or any positions … I don’t need anything else. Now I have a guitar that sounds exactly like what’s in my head and fingers and the amp appears to agree (65 Fender Champ with added delay and reverb ! Just simple, unexplainable Bat s_it crazy "Tele tones" you have in your head… but true ! Search over. I’m just playing and playing and playing. Mission accomplished ! My playing has already hit a different sky …. That I once thought was forbidden ! No more ! Thanks for this rare answered prayer ! Rock ‘n’ Roll never dies. Rust never sleeps ! I've been lurking for years at the gear page.... Decided it was time to come out and say, as the happiest crazy Tele Aficionado that Ron Ellis Pickups are awesome sounding pickups ! Out of this world Better than good pickup. Waited 4 months .... yes. Paid in advance .... Yes ! But i have been waiting an even longer period of solar time on that Holy Grail pickup and countless amounts of money..... Been Playing blues, western swing, jump, rock, surf, rockabilly, R&R, Electric blues, heavy metal, progressive rock, Sludge, ska, punk, reggae (anything but polka !) on those two little Ron Ellis pickups !!!

One word of advice. Save money. Save time. Go with with Ron Ellis pickups..... or go through the ordeal like most of us go through....

A little picture as some kind of souvenir for you guys …. Worth … A thousand words !

View attachment 444293

By the way... Just received my copy of Nachos latest act of love (author of The Blackguard Book) : The Pinecaster Book: Early electric guitars 1920-1925. Weights a ton. Hours, months, years of reading...... Waiting 4-5 months here too, paid in advance, so what.

:facepalm

Wagster

Decided to mod my Nocaster Reissue .... Didn't like the saddles, went for Rutter aged comp brass ... Pickups were not anything special (for a masterbuilt...) pickups were excellent yet not what i was looking for.... Decided to pull the trigger on Ron Ellis 50B and Mid Tall... Tried everything but those one... What it worth the hype... what triggered my attention was the Bill Hullett post some time ago here or elsewhere ... Everything he says. I concur. and would not dare add anything ! Respect and thanks. (Ps: Bill Hullett ... if still of this world.. I too, kept the 52T/Std+ pickups (Great pups))... But 50B's are in a league of its own... Mid tall.... Simply the best neck pickup i ever played.... In between.... Dyna Gretschy#Jazzmaster .... Crazy ! (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...not-world.html, if you want to read first hand).

View attachment 444293

If I need $575 pickups to get good tone I need to rethink my playing. Ellis pickups sounds killer but his prices are silly and I love Ron.

Rollocaster

If I need $575 pickups to get good tone I need to rethink my playing. Ellis pickups sounds killer but his prices are silly and I love Ron.

If i need to reply to a 575$ pickup post to feel like i can have a good tone i need to rethink my playing. Any pickups can sound killer, some prices are truly silly, some aren't enough compared to what you get and i love Ron. Same goes for some posts ! Ron Ellis..... when you're ready !
:drool
:bow
:sarcasm

Serious reply now... for the serious minded player (and not the reality-challenged ones, please) .... or those who yearn to master the challenges of a proper vintage Telecaster, if this is the SOUND and VISION you have IN MIND.

Why a Tele for me.... with broadcaster/nocaster features..... THIS IS WHAT I WANT ! I don't blame a shredder to want plat a seven string Ibanez or ESP ! My post was pertaining to those who are searching for the 1950s Rock'n'Roll/Rockabilly/Jump Blues "single coil" tones....

That guitar with those pickups bested my vintage '69 strat and '55 Les Paul junior and my 62 SG and 56 Goldtop and 59 Silvertone or my '68 ES-335. All gone now. SPENDING 575$ ACTUALLY MADE ME MONEY AND IS NOW MAKING ME SAVE MONEY.... ALL THAT For 575$ ONLY !!! One to rule them all.... and one that covers it all !

Now i truly understand when some posters write .... end of search and more playing ! Being playing Teles for a long time.... Most of my neighbors and friends asked me what is your new guitar .... in the days following the Ellis Transformational Experience ! My 82 years old co-owner asked me if i was playing old R&R 78rpm records from the 50s.... That comment best sums it all .... for those who long REAL VINTAGE BRODCASTER tones. End of that. I have spoken.

Most good/excellent/great boutique or stock pickup are good at one thing. A "one tric pony". THIS is a pickup for a player who knows what he wants to play, knows how to play it and can still be suddenly impressed with something different..... like Ron Ellis Pickups.... which brings your level of listening/playing/enjoying at a whole new level. Like stated.... my vintage esquire was cool, sounded great .... But I now have something that sounds great anywhere on the tone/volume/pickup switch selector of the amp or the guitar or the pedal.... Sometimes i have to open my eyes to see where exactly my .... set up is.... because i get lost in bursts of intense creative playing and it just sounds good ! This Nocaster now is the only guitar i'm using and playing for everything ! End of story. So all in all.... 600$ and 4 months.... if anything..... is nothing ! Had 36 guitars for a long while .... 8 left and still selling since Ron Ellis entered my life !!!! If you ask me ..... they are not expensive enough for what they allow you to do that others don't and so dramatically too !!! So back to you.... when was the last time you rethought your playing ? Ellis pickups sound KILLER, and i, too love Ron.... but i prefer his pickups ! Thanks for the O ! so subtle hint pertaining to my playing was.... revealing your thoughts to be O ! so constructive ! I'm a Tele player. And these pickups sincerely allow me to further explore my knowledge, study and understanding of this most marvelous and VERSATILE thing called the Telecaster. End of that story. I have spoken.

Will you reply something nice and socially constructive or perhaps adequate or agree to disagree like a gentleman, which is fine, or will you fall prey to the irresistible urge and temptation to nail me once more for my expensive yet fully enjoyable taste in pickups !

I wrote something positive for all to enjoy or not. It's information. That too is freedom of expression !

THE PRICE TAG OF A PICKUP, SHOULDN'T IN A GENTLEMAN'S WORLD, ALLOW ANYONE TO JUDGE ANYONE OR THEIR PLAYING ! The proof is the pudding ! Write something nice, pleasant and informative for all the readers of this thread or take the 5th !

Conclusion (Coda)

If i need to reply to a 575$ pickup post to feel like i really have a good tone or know what i'm talking about when i'm talking about stuff i never tried but have an opinion on, i need to rethink my playing. Any pickups can sound killer, some are truly expansive (OCD on the material type), some posters are truly silly (some more than others), and i love Ron (for the right reasons) !

Ron Ellis..... when you're ready .... :anon:sarcasm:bonk:hide2:bumpbump

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
If i need to reply to a 575$ pickup post to feel like i can have a good tone i need to rethink my playing. Any pickups can sound killer, some prices are truly silly, some aren't enough compared to what you get and i love Ron. Same goes for some posts ! Ron Ellis..... when you're ready !
:drool
:bow
:sarcasm

Serious reply now... for the serious minded player (and not the reality-challenged ones, please) .... or those who yearn to master the challenges of a proper vintage Telecaster, if this is the SOUND and VISION you have IN MIND.

Why a Tele for me.... with broadcaster/nocaster features..... THIS IS WHAT I WANT ! I don't blame a shredder to want plat a seven string Ibanez or ESP ! My post was pertaining to those who are searching for the 1950s Rock'n'Roll/Rockabilly/Jump Blues "single coil" tones....

That guitar with those pickups bested my vintage '69 strat and '55 Les Paul junior and my 62 SG and 56 Goldtop and 59 Silvertone or my '68 ES-335. All gone now. SPENDING 575$ ACTUALLY MADE ME MONEY AND IS NOW MAKING ME SAVE MONEY.... ALL THAT For 575$ ONLY !!! One to rule them all.... and one that covers it all !

Now i truly understand when some posters write .... end of search and more playing ! Being playing Teles for a long time.... Most of my neighbors and friends asked me what is your new guitar .... in the days following the Ellis Transformational Experience ! My 82 years old co-owner asked me if i was playing old R&R 78rpm records from the 50s.... That comment best sums it all .... for those who long REAL VINTAGE BRODCASTER tones. End of that. I have spoken.

Most good/excellent/great boutique or stock pickup are good at one thing. A "one tric pony". THIS is a pickup for a player who knows what he wants to play, knows how to play it and can still be suddenly impressed with something different..... like Ron Ellis Pickups.... which brings your level of listening/playing/enjoying at a whole new level. Like stated.... my vintage esquire was cool, sounded great .... But I now have something that sounds great anywhere on the tone/volume/pickup switch selector of the amp or the guitar or the pedal.... Sometimes i have to open my eyes to see where exactly my .... set up is.... because i get lost in bursts of intense creative playing and it just sounds good ! This Nocaster now is the only guitar i'm using and playing for everything ! End of story. So all in all.... 600$ and 4 months.... if anything..... is nothing ! Had 36 guitars for a long while .... 8 left and still selling since Ron Ellis entered my life !!!! If you ask me ..... they are not expensive enough for what they allow you to do that others don't and so dramatically too !!! So back to you.... when was the last time you rethought your playing ? Ellis pickups sound KILLER, and i, too love Ron.... but i prefer his pickups ! Thanks for the O ! so subtle hint pertaining to my playing was.... revealing your thoughts to be O ! so constructive ! I'm a Tele player. And these pickups sincerely allow me to further explore my knowledge, study and understanding of this most marvelous and VERSATILE thing called the Telecaster. End of that story. I have spoken.

Will you reply something nice and socially constructive or perhaps adequate or agree to disagree like a gentleman, which is fine, or will you fall prey to the irresistible urge and temptation to nail me once more for my expensive yet fully enjoyable taste in pickups !

I wrote something positive for all to enjoy or not. It's information. That too is freedom of expression !

THE PRICE TAG OF A PICKUP, SHOULDN'T IN A GENTLEMAN'S WORLD, ALLOW ANYONE TO JUDGE ANYONE OR THEIR PLAYING ! The proof is the pudding ! Write something nice, pleasant and informative for all the readers of this thread or take the 5th !

Conclusion (Coda)

If i need to reply to a 575$ pickup post to feel like i really have a good tone or know what i'm talking about when i'm talking about stuff i never tried but have an opinion on, i need to rethink my playing. Any pickups can sound killer, some are truly expansive (OCD on the material type), some posters are truly silly (some more than others), and i love Ron (for the right reasons) !

Ron Ellis..... when you're ready .... :anon:sarcasm:bonk:hide2:bumpbump

So much jibber jabber.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
The guy apparently believes that his pickups are so good it gives him the right to treat his customers any way he wants. If i paid that kind of $ and got no response for weeks or months i'd be contacting paypal or my bank to stop payment. After what i have read here, even if i could afford them I'd pass on principle alone. People should boycott the guy's product and give him a taste of reality.

I can afford them - but don't believe he delivers all that much that's different than a Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. And I agree - stop patronizing a guy who treats people with disdain - but hey - they are musicians and look forward to mistreatment!:D

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
Only issue I have is payment up front.

That's alot of cash to lay out over 2 yrs.

I got on the list for my set of Holmes pick ups.

2 yrs later I was contacted, I paid and got them a week later. He had a long list. If I said no thanks he moved on and had 1000 people to take them.

Still waiting to hear from Analogman for my KOT. :dunno

justonwo

It took about 3 months to get my Strat/Tele/Humbuckers from Ron Ellis, which is what they quoted. It took about 9 months to get the P90s. Much longer than quoted. I wasn’t in a rush for them, however, so the wait didn’t bother me much.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
If The Onion wrote pickup ads, it would read like the guy a few posts above :bonk

Last edited:

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I'm rollin' through boutique PAFs, but stayed away from Ellis because of the reasons stated here, too expensive, too long a wait.

Joe Perry

I agree that Rollocaster’s post while very enthusiastic was most likely not a shill post. Ron simply doesn’t need it. seems like the pickups really work well for Rollocaster and his rig.

I have a 50/60’s S set but have no dog in this race. I was lucky enough to get mine used for ~$350 before they skyrocketed on the used market. I really like them, the more I spend time with them the more I like them. I could sell them for a nice profit but would rather have the pickups than the ~$800 I’d make on them.

I have a lighter touch and like they way they have a softer feel at lower volumes but firm up nicely when I do dig in.

Price is subjective but sometimes you have to pay for knowledge. They are on the pricier side no doubt. I think it comes it comes down to the magnets. He says his magnets are specially made/ formulated from knowledge from his day job. No reason to doubt him and I’ve seen people confirm it in other threads. John Suhr also has specially formulated magnets ( I have ML standards and classics - now V63’s) and they do have that smokey vintage tone but aren’t as forgiving/softer at lower volumes as the Ellis’ to me.

I’d definitely have no problem buying another set at $575 if I could find out the wait times these days. I haven’t inquired recently but I saw a Facebook post from them over the summer saying two months but haven’t seen anyone here say they’ve received them that quickly. When I got their price list last spring is said for months So it sounds like the lead time is shrinking.

With all that said, I just bought a set of Throbak 63’s on sale from Reverb. I’ve been wanting to try them for a while so I took the chance. Everyone seems to love their HB’s and they also have special magnets made. I’ll report When I get them in the guitar (Lentz).

Rollocaster

All your replies are confirmation that TGP ain't as welcoming and absent "reality challenged communities" as it once was. Bull shill yourselves dudes. Mr Ellis needs no shill indeed !!! Just a player who wanted to share an experience after been playing and tinkering guitars for 40 years... especially real Broadcasters and Esquires. Was just amazed at how good Ellis Pickups are for "those" who long for "that" sound. There's very close to that sounds. There's different but very close and also great. Fine with me. there's plenty of better pickups for better whatever, All i'm saying: Those who want a bad ass versatile set of pickups that does it all if you know how, well this is it ! Disagree with me ? FINE. I WILL FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO TALK **** TO ME even if obviously we are not at the same level of ... many things ! How Mature ! Just that. My post was not for your guys but for the occasional wanderer seeking a different type of "information" other than your regular predictable limited rants especially the way with which you welcome new people !!! You guys are a class of your own ! Cheers & Regards. I think this is the beginning of a great friendship ! :nono :aok:nuts:crazyguy:worried:banana:bkw:bkw:bkw:bkw:bkw:bkw CIAO ! Back to my guitar ....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom