Re-sellers

Mojofied

Is anyone else really bummed when you sell something you care about and then realize the buyer is just a re-seller on here sniping equipment to flip? Lame.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I don't mind selling to someone who gets GAS quick and flips it.

I DO feel bad when it sells to a known parter and you see that vintage guitar sold off in chunks.

mikealpine

I don't care what anyone does with anything I sell them. I accepted a price, they got the item, at that point I'm done with it. If they want to resell it, good for them. Had I wanted to wait longer, maybe I could have gotten the higher number, but maybe not. I used a guitar for a trade in at a music store, knowing they'd price it for more than they were crediting me toward another instrument. A few weeks later it was still available on their site for only $50 more than they gave me. If I wanted to part something out, I could do that, but there's no guarantee that I'd make more in total as I did for selling it outright, and I might be left with some pieces that will never sell. It's really an emotionless process for me once the deal is done.

NewLeaf09

Silver Supporting Member
A couple of weeks ago I had a guy email me to make me an offer on an old, well used, solid state amp I had listed on CL for $250 - said it was for his church because their amp had died and they only gave him $200 to replace it. I said no, that it was priced low to start with. He drove an hour each way, played it for about a half-hour in my living room and paid me my asking price. He texted me the next day to tell me how much he liked it. Went on CL to check some other ads and saw the guy had listed it for $50 more the same day he bought it. Times must be tough to go through all those gyrations in the hopes of making $50. I just laughed off his lies.

If I sell something, my only hope is they feel like they got a fair shake. If they hold a potlatch for the neighboring tribe and destroy it in a Dionysian frenzy, that's on them.

Mojofied

Fair enough. I don't buy and sell a lot of instruments. Had to list some things recently to fix a tooth. Not something I really wanted to sell but as a musician I have no health insurance. For me it wasn't emotionless but maybe I am sentimental.

27sauce

I don't care what happens after I sell it, usually.

I was a little "aw man", when I sold a guitar I tried to keep as clean as possible to a company that does refin/relicing. I don't really care, but it will become a very different guitar that knew. I'm keeping an eye on their site?

Mojofied

And some really cool cats recorded with the gear so there was that too. Anyway suppose I need to get with the program.

27sauce

We're all just dust in the wind, man.

At the most, we only own our guitars for our lifetime. Unless they go out with you, they will live long lives with other owners, or custodians, really.

Mojofied

Over the last 5-10 years with the internet and ebay and now reverb and of course here my head spins a bit sometimes. Its a brave new world.

MattC

I generally don't care at all on a straight sale. If he's able to make more than me flipping it, then either (a) he's willing to invest more time and effort into selling it (I mostly sell locally on CL and only sell guitars online or ship as a last resort to avoid potential headaches, so lots of buyer/flippers who don't limit themselves could probably outdo me in this regard); or (b) I was just dumb and took too low of a price. In either situation, that's not the buyer-flipper's fault or ill motive.

However, one caveat based on a recent experience: if I trade something and tell my trading partner I'm a little sad/ambivalent about seeing the guitar go, I might get a little bummed if they decide to trade it elsewhere within 3-4 days without asking if I want to do a trade-back. That happened to me recently. I found out because the third party had emailed me about doing a trade + cash deal on the guitar right after I got home from making the initial trade. I sent him a nice note thanking him for his interest and telling him that for better or worse, I would've been interested in doing the deal (it was a pretty nice Taylor acoustic, which I badly need, plus fair cash on top for my PRS Artist McCarty). He followed up with me a few days later to tell me he wound up with my guitar after all via the acoustic trade. Maybe my original trading partner (who was overall a very nice guy) decided he needed a little extra cash or maybe he just didn't totally gel with the guitar. Either way, in his shoes, given the short passage of time, I probably would've asked the other party about a potential trade-back before retrading. I'm not suggesting anyone ought to have a perpetual right of first refusal on subsequent trades in this scenario, but if it's within a week or two, I think it's nice to at least offer the opportunity to the original trader.

fred dons

normally it does not bother me but I had it a few times where someone was literally begging to let something go at a too low price as it was his dream guitar but just could not afford, only to find it advertised in the same week for quite a bit more. One fairly recent event a guy was offering an amp I wanted to have and he was open for swap against a similar value guitar. I sent him some pics of a few guitars I was willing to let go and in the end he was torn between 2 guitars; an esp and a hamer. both were high end, each one at least as expensive as the amp. I brought both with me so that he could try and he just could not make up his mind, so I offered that he could buy the second on on a lay away plan (at a very very steep discount) just because he seemed to be a nice guy and he did not have much money. Well he still could not decide and as I had driven quite a bit and the amp was something I wanted to have I gave away the second guitar for free. I would have been fine with this if he did not sell the second guitar within 3 days as he could not get along with the switching System and sell the other one within 3 weeks :(

Mojofied

Sorry man that stinks.

normally it does not bother me but I had it a few times where someone was literally begging to let something go at a too low price as it was his dream guitar but just could not afford, only to find it advertised in the same week for quite a bit more. One fairly recent event a guy was offering an amp I wanted to have and he was open for swap against a similar value guitar. I sent him some pics of a few guitars I was willing to let go and in the end he was torn between 2 guitars; an esp and a hamer. both were high end, each one at least as expensive as the amp. I brought both with me so that he could try and he just could not make up his mind, so I offered that he could buy the second on on a lay away plan (at a very very steep discount) just because he seemed to be a nice guy and he did not have much money. Well he still could not decide and as I had driven quite a bit and the amp was something I wanted to have I gave away the second guitar for free. I would have been fine with this if he did not sell the second guitar within 3 days as he could not get along with the switching System and sell the other one within 3 weeks :(

s2y

Major contributors to the overpriced market. I look every now and then and rarely see deals. My local shop treats me quite well and I often see used stuff that's more expensive than my special new price.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I generally don't care at all on a straight sale. If he's able to make more than me flipping it, then either (a) he's willing to invest more time and effort into selling it (I mostly sell locally on CL and only sell guitars online or ship as a last resort to avoid potential headaches, so lots of buyer/flippers who don't limit themselves could probably outdo me in this regard); or (b) I was just dumb and took too low of a price. In either situation, that's not the buyer-flipper's fault or ill motive.

However, one caveat based on a recent experience: if I trade something and tell my trading partner I'm a little sad/ambivalent about seeing the guitar go, I might get a little bummed if they decide to trade it elsewhere within 3-4 days without asking if I want to do a trade-back. That happened to me recently. I found out because the third party had emailed me about doing a trade + cash deal on the guitar right after I got home from making the initial trade. I sent him a nice note thanking him for his interest and telling him that for better or worse, I would've been interested in doing the deal (it was a pretty nice Taylor acoustic, which I badly need, plus fair cash on top for my PRS Artist McCarty). He followed up with me a few days later to tell me he wound up with my guitar after all via the acoustic trade. Maybe my original trading partner (who was overall a very nice guy) decided he needed a little extra cash or maybe he just didn't totally gel with the guitar. Either way, in his shoes, given the short passage of time, I probably would've asked the other party about a potential trade-back before retrading. I'm not suggesting anyone ought to have a perpetual right of first refusal on subsequent trades in this scenario, but if it's within a week or two, I think it's nice to at least offer the opportunity to the original trader.

I had a guy get sellers remorse a year after selling it to me- he saw it in a photo I submitted to Vintage Guitar magazine and craved its return. I wasn't actually looking to sell that one, but I always consider the right of first refusal so hey why not, make the guy's day.

Once he got it he told me it played and sounded even better than when he sold it to me. Dang right, I corrected a bad cap job in it and set it up nicely.

So yeah, you never know. Never hurts to ask.

bismark

I usually don't mind as long as they pay the price I want. But sometimes these re-sellers can be annoying. They usually have these 2 characteristics:
(i) Perennial and persistent lowballers
(ii) Wanting your guitar entirely stock, and will lowball you even further if it's not.

And in some extreme cases, there will be imbeciles who plead you to sell them your guitar at a ridiculously low price so they can give it to their cancer-stricken brother who has only six months to live as a surprise birthday gift, only to find out your guitar is on e-bay or emporium a week later.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom