Re: SF Super to BF...Anyone know about this Torres kit?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by telewacker, Jan 13, 2005.

1. telewacker

telewacker Member

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

That's f'n crazy, $96 for a bunch of caps and resistors??? Go to hoffmanamps.com and pick the values yourself, you'll save a bundle, and not feel like a fool later. That's insane - he charges an extra $240 for tubes! If they're not NOS that's another ripoff.

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Yeah , I like his "2 parts" bias kit on EBay for $20 . :rolleyes:

4. telewacker

telewacker Member

Well I figured for all the resistors and caps on the circuit board, plus the filter caps, schemo, instructions, etc. ,it was an ok price , but I'm new at this so WTF do I know? I do know that I drop $150-250 every time I bring an amp in for surgery to my repair guy and this time of year gigs are slow and I'm trying to save some money.

Also, the idea of having all the parts pre-selected is enormously helpful to me as a first timer, but I'm absolutely wide open to suggestions.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Well, I think of it this way: if you invest a couple of hours of time and research things, look up the schematic, write down all the part values yourself and buy them youself, you gain a LOT of knowledge you can use later on (and if you get into the amp modding thing, you WILL use that info later on!) ALL of the info is available for free! For example, the AB763 circuit:

schematics: www.schematicheaven.com or www.ampwares.com/ffg - also if you need some pics of the insides of amps, check out acplink.com

resistors: 38 x .30 each (carbon comp) or .15 each (carbon film) = $11.40 or $5.70
    caps: 26 x $1 each (average) = $26
    total: $36.40, let's round up to $40

The Kit 2 costs an extra $130, plain parts might cost:

pots: 10 x $2.50 each = $25
    jacks: 10 x $2 = $20
    switches: 2 x $5 = $10
    filter caps: 5 x $6 (average) = $30
    tube sockets: 10 x $2 = $20
    total: $105 (alright, not too bad)

The Kit 3 (tubes) costs $240 extra, plain parts:

7 preamp: 12AX7 and 12AT7, $12 each for current production russian tubes = $84
    2 power: 6L6, $30 pair for current production russian tubes
    1 rectifier: $15 for a current production 5U4/5AR4
    total: $129

If ALL NOS tubes are included, I can see where the price may be higher, since NOS 7581As run $100 a pair. A NOS 5U4 might be $30, but a NOS 5AR4 would be $100-150. NOS 12AT7s are cheap, $12-25 (no Telefunkens), NOS 12AX7s could be $25-100. However I will bet my life that all NOS tubes are not included - maybe a NOS 12AT7, and maybe NOS power tubes.

6. telewacker

telewacker Member

Point taken. I'll check out the links and see what I need to get. Thanks for the good advice.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

That's a bunch of ****. Do what Telewacker sez and get the schematics and layouts from ampwares or schematic heaven, and get the parts from Hoffman, or even cheaper from mouser.com.

Just be careful, there are high voltages that can kill you inside a guitar amp.

To recap an AB763 should cost no more than $40-$50 for parts.

If you have any questions or concerns go to Ampage and ask.