Re: soundman wanted

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tjontheroad, Mar 29, 2020.

1. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
  2. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

In my neck of the woods soundmen (with gear) often get equal cut.

3. tjontheroad

$30k in gear for $150 is about right for this neck of the woods. Don't like it? Don't bring it.

Brett Valentine and 8len8 like this.
  4. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

5. RCM78

RCM78 Member

When my band doesn’t have a gig I will rent my system out and mix a band. $150 is not a serious offer though. Usually if a band is hiring out production they have a budget to work with.

MikeMcK likes this.
  6. RCM78

RCM78 Member

No it’s not.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Member

He may have a bigger investment than the typical musician, but he doesn't have to put the time in learning songs or rehearsing either.

Around here bar gigs pay around $500. That doesn't leave a whole lot of extra cash to pay big bucks to the sound guy. Doesn't matter if he thinks he deserves it or not, the money isn't there. This isn't a hobby to get into if making money is your goal, and sound isn't a business to get into if your target customer can't afford to pay what you think you're worth.

Brett Valentine, 8len8 and rickt like this.
  8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Sounds like a lot of folks in the lower rungs of the music economy. No-one really cares how much your stuff cost, and if the $20k of gear plus your mad skills don't impress upon your clients that you're worth more than the offering, then find some different clients or lower your price.

Paleolith54 likes this.
  9. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I have done sound for near 40 years now.
    Back then I’d charge $250 to run their system and price accordingly more if I supplied the system (typically $250+ additional).

The bands I worked with were making $1000+ per night.

In recent years, it’s not worth the time for $100-$150 a night, which is what local bands offer for clubs.
    I’ve subbed for a few bands who have a friend in them who call in an emergency. I tell them I’m doing it as a favor for the friend, so pay me whatever. The last three times/bands it was $100.

Each time I was asked if I would be their regular sound guy.
    I told them they couldn’t afford me., that I wouldn’t do it for less than $250 within 50 miles and more depending on distance. Each band said that $100 was more than anyone in the band was making and that they were only making $300-$400 for the night. I apologized but let them know I would help again if I could but my weekend time was more precious than lugging equipment for $8/hr.

There are venues that pay more, but they don’t book the typical local bands.

I think it is fairly typical to get $150 for a night now (supplying the system).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Brett Valentine and derekd like this.
  10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Sounds a wee bit bitter.

I probably wouldn't do it for $150 either unless it was buddies and within 30 minutes of home. That's a whole lotta work + wear and tear on equipment.

11. tjontheroad

Maybe up north Jersey. They’re aren’t many gigs south of I-195 paying more except down the shore.

He may deserve more. But you’re right, there isn’t more cash to pay.

Most bands are hiring sound just to have an extra man to deal with it. More often, good (not great) gear is good enough.

12. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Well, I’m not in North Jersey. I’m right on 195. I’ve found there is a market for bands that command a higher fee all over the state. It’s not easy breaking in but a start is to stop racing to the bottom.

13. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Craigslist post was flagged..........

Steve Hotra likes this.
  14. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Dang they took the ad down.

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Missed it. What did it say?

16. tjontheroad

In a nut shell... It was a bunch if F bombs about a soundguy not wanting to bring out his expensive gear and get paid only a $150.

17. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Ahhh. My minimum for my longest clients is $300 and 2 meals. Others, it’s $500 and up.

Nebakanezer and tjontheroad like this.
  18. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

They should, whenever possible.
    If I'm playing somewhere ( gig or at a church) I always go out of my way to thank the sound mixers. Its a thankless job... and they hear more complaints than compliments.

19. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Supporting Member

I've worked with a lot of soundmen over the years, most were very competent, some were amazing, a few were jaded bastards. But I've always treated them with respect - it's a tough, thankless job.

I didn't get to read the ad before it was taken down, but i got the summary. Soundmen spend a LOT of money on their rigs, and it's a lot of work - first guy in, last guy out. Plus musician egos. For $150 it's not worth getting off the couch.

I do think there is a good market for budget PA guys - a couple of Mackie Thump mains, maybe a sub, 3 monitors, 8 channel board with effects, 4 or 5 mics. Something that all fits in a hatchback. Takes 30mins to set up and tear down. Mixing is pretty easy - set and forget mostly. Maybe a $2K investment total - less if you buy used.

There's a lot of bands starting up that don't have a PA or know how to work one. And there's plenty of Dad rock bands that just don't wanna lug. They'd all be happy to pay someone $100 to do it. You do 10-20 gigs and the gear is all paid for.

20. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Here’s my quick throw and go setup.

2 Yorkville 300W NX10C powered coax speakers on stands.

SM58’s on a stand

2 Radial DI’s

Music stand

Studiolive RM32AI

Mix via iPad.

No monitors, don’t need them in this kinda situation. $50 and a meal. A big poutine and a good kraft beer. This was a brewery gig.