• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

re that smooth jazz thread that just got deleted

funkycam

There are tons of great Smooth Jazz recordings, but for what you are talking about liking, I would go with some classic jazz records.

Kind of blue if you don't already own it.
Somethin else by cannon ball adderly
Jazz samba by stan getz & charlie byrd
Full house by wes montgomery
complete quartets with sonny clark by grant green

BryanMatthews

There are tons of great Smooth Jazz recordings, but for what you are talking about liking, I would go with some classic jazz records.

Kind of blue if you don't already own it.
Somethin else by cannon ball adderly
Jazz samba by stan getz & charlie byrd
Full house by wes montgomery
complete quartets with sonny clark by grant green

Funky

I stiffed it, I think my original wording was confusing some into thinking of smooth jazz as in one ear and straight out the other, elevator baloney.

Not what I was conveying at all and thanks for the reply dude .

2 Loud 4 You

Growing up my father had classic rock and "smooth jazz" on a lot. I don't know if the term is correct for the bands and artists I heard but I grew up with Sade, The Rippingtons, Spyro Gyra, Stanley Clarke and others that escape me right now. For all I know "Smooth jazz" is only what Kenny G plays which by the way, I DO like "Songbird". Imagine that, some guy covered in tattoos and typically plays the music you despise actually had the balls to say he likes a Kenny G song!

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Whatever, I love Smooth Jazz. The Rippingtons, Spyro Gyra, Norman Brown, Fatburger. I could go on and on. IMO the guys that play that stuff are freakin players.

funkycam

what confused me was writing a reply & having the thread disappear!
All of the above I listed are great records. Hope you get into something good!

Don't write off every Smooth Jazz artist too... eg
checkout the track "Crossfire" by David Sandborn.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=81897241&id=81897299&s=143441

Also check out Dan Huff's solo @ 2:06 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXl_v0sC8OQ
this is total smooth jazz, but the guitar solo is so freakin money. check out the horn @ 4:17, blazing lines

2 Loud 4 You

what confused me was writing a reply & having the thread disappear!
All of the above I listed are great records. Hope you get into something good!

Don't write off every Smooth Jazz artist too... eg
checkout the track "Crossfire" by David Sandborn.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=81897241&id=81897299&s=143441

Also check out Dan Huff's solo @ 2:06 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXl_v0sC8OQ
this is total smooth jazz, but the guitar solo is so freakin money
David Sandborn, that was another name that was escaping me.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
dave brubeck quartet - paul desmond was smoooooooooth.

Guitar Dave T

Whether you enjoy it or not is a personal thing. I remember its first presentation in the 80's when it was called New Age.

Penn and Teller called it Newage, which rhymes with sewage, I mention this because it was funny when New Age was all the rage.

But while Smooth Jazz definitely has more of a soul/groove thing happening than New Age, and while I respect the musicians who perform it and their awesome level of talent, for they are truly capable of playing to a level of polish that I am not, it's just not for me. I find it like a story with no struggle and resolution, or a very nice painting of a landscape with no animals.

Give me the struggling animals any day. While I respect that people desire and should be allowed to get what they want from music, I want to be strongly moved by it. Like I say, it's a personal decision.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
dave brubeck quartet - paul desmond was smoooooooooth.
Sure he was, but he wasn't playing smooth jazz.

For me smooth jazz is to jazz, as soft rock is to rock. The "jazz" equivalent of Air Supply or Abba isn't compelling to me.....but I wouldn't want to take away anyone's enjoyment of it. As with any genre there's good and bad, but maybe more bad than others, especially in the most contrived stuff created for the Weather Channel–type usage.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
And we definitely should not confuse "smooth jazz" with "cool jazz," as the terms apply to different things.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
What about Grusin?

If Im not mistaken the whole "Smooth Jazz" thing started on radio in Orlando. At least thats how I remember it. The station there always touted the fact that it started there as far as radio goes. That was back in the 80's. New Age and Smooth Jazz are entirely different.

FWIW, I really dig Fourplay and all the stuff each of its members has done.

BTW, That Dan Huff thing was awesome and yes it was money!

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
Sure he was, but he wasn't playing smooth jazz.

But many jazz musicians and fans dismissed their work much as contemporary smooth jazz. Eugene Wright said many other black jazz musicians would ask him why he played with Morello, Desmond and Brubeck. His comment was "just listen!" All had great chops.

In high school I played with a group of old season jazz and blues musicians. The sax player, Ben Ballenger played with Mingus for awhile. They told me to listen to, then contemporary Muzak when I was in department stores, etc. They were right, everyone-in-awhile somebody would "blow a mean solo" in the midst of the elevator music!

Pat Methany was criticized for popularity and said he felt as if the first record label thought he had done something wrong by being so successful.

Its no different than anything else. There is drivel and then there are some amazing examples of musicianship and composition.

Bobby D

one of my songs ended up on a "smooth jazz" compilation -- i wasn't too happy about it, as i have and will never classify myself as "jazz"....lol.

rwe333

I just saw Chris Botti's band (perhaps the reigning prince of 'smooth jazz'). Little doubt the boys can play (Billy Kilson? Billy Childs? Mark Whitfield?), but do I prefer their more challenging, individual releases (Botti w/ b.l.u.e., Kilson w/ Dave Holland,...).

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Just call me that totally "Smooth Jazzer Lucid Moi ..."
Who ain't worth **** ....Sold his soul to the El Diablo of Smooth Jazz just to get gigs ..

Trending Topics