Re-thinking my home stereo

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
I'm thinking of getting a super lightweight (in both specs and size) netbook or similar to be the brains of my home audio operation.

I need something network connected because I only buy music online now, and something with a USB port to connect to an external hard drive which will serve as the master library. Plug the netbook into the tuner, play the tunes by my chosen media player and reap the benefits of digital music organization without having a ginormous computer in the living room.

Am I on the right track here? Anybody done this or something similar? Pitfalls? How much did you spend?

Duffy Pratt

I have my music on a hard drive upstairs, connected to my IMac. ITunes is set to send the signal to an Airport Express, which hooks up to my Stereo. I can control the iTunes with the Remote app on my iPad from anywhere in the house. Works well. The music is either from downloads, or ripped music done in Apple Lossless.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
I have my music on a hard drive upstairs, connected to my IMac. ITunes is set to send the signal to an Airport Express, which hooks up to my Stereo. I can control the iTunes with the Remote app on my iPad from anywhere in the house. Works well. The music is either from downloads, or ripped music done in Apple Lossless.

I do the exact same thing. I have an integrated amp and a DAC, but these days many integrated amps and/or receivers have a DAC built in to them.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Wow, I didn't even realize we had that new sub forum!

Since this one is already rolling, I'll just let it play until/unless the mods move it.

I already have speakers and an amp that I like, so Sonos, as cool as it is, is kinda out. My computer that currently stores my music is a big power hungry ex-gaming machine on its last legs, so there's that.

Basically, I need storage and an interface between that and the amp.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member

This.

I even have speakers in the roof of my alfresco outside linked in.

Works great.

paulg

Bluesound node 2, is a very nice solution. The unit is controlled through its own app. It's a great interface that brings all your music to your fingertips.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Add me to the Airport express list. I've been using it for years. Extends the wireless signal, as well.

My desktop feeds that and the Apple TV, both of which are hooked to receivers.

If you buy a laptop and need to plug an external drive into it you may as well move the desktop into the living room. I'd either get a laptop with enough built-in storage or just spend $100 and get the express to use with what you already have.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
My desktop, as stated earlier, is YUGE, and is also loud and dying. It also runs a 1000W power supply. The whole thing is totally overkill for my needs, which is why I don't want to use it for this.

The footprint of a netbook and external hard drive is considerably smaller by literally every measure.

kiki_90291

Silver Supporting Member
My desktop, as stated earlier, is YUGE, and is also loud and dying. It also runs a 1000W power supply. The whole thing is totally overkill for my needs, which is why I don't want to use it for this.

The footprint of a netbook and external hard drive is considerably smaller by literally every measure.
If you don't need mobility, check out the Intel NUCs - nice compact solution, you can use your TV for a monitor (assuming you have a TV with HDMI or display port). Full disclosure- I work for Intel.

hellbender

I bought some wireless headphones and use that with an iPod. Speakers will never, ever come close to the accuracy of headphones but they have their uses. I was quick and easy and I use the headphones for music too.

Go Cat Go!!

I use a Raspberry Pi as my Home https://kodi.tv/ PC. It runs LibreElec and Kodi. All my music and movies have been ripped to FLAC or MKV and stored on an unraid box. The Raspberry access the media via my network and plays it through my receiver. The TV is connected to the receiver as well.

https://libreelec.tv/
https://lime-technology.com/
https://kodi.tv/

You can use a Raspberry pi with with Linux as well. Just load Kodi on and use the browser to connect to the 'net. You can attach an external drive as well.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
If you don't need mobility, check out the Intel NUCs - nice compact solution, you can use your TV for a monitor (assuming you have a TV with HDMI or display port). Full disclosure- I work for Intel.

NUCs are definitely very cool, and I think I may have an alternative use for one. But in this case, I don't own a TV and don't wanna stick my big monitor in the living room. But thanks for reminding me of it...I need to get my butt in gear on that project.

Raspberry Pi is a really cool idea...I like how lightweight it is. I discovered the pi-top project, which could be a slam dunk. I get the fun of building my own little Raspberry Pi laptop and come out the other end with a cheap interface to go between the hard drive and receiver.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom