• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Re-Tuning analog oscillator?

Shuckingfit

Hey I recently got an Electro Faustus Drone Thing, which to anyone who doesn't know is a box with 6 oscillators, and it's amazing, except for my one wish that one or two of them were tuned a little lower than the others. Is it possible to open this baby up and retune one of these oscillators? If so, how would I go about it? Thanks!

ERGExplorer

I don't own one, but you are in a position to find out.

When you take off the back, are there any exposed trimmers on the board? You can put a small dot of permanent marker next to their current positions, and the do subtle tweaks ro see what happens.

If there's no trimmers, you'll be moving into mod territory, where you'll be altering the current resistor value of the potentiometers by either replacing them or adding an additional pot/trimmer to that position. Unless the board isn't SMT, I suspect you will not be up for it, running a real risk of damaging your box.

Shuckingfit

I don't own one, but you are in a position to find out.

When you take off the back, are there any exposed trimmers on the board? You can put a small dot of permanent marker next to their current positions, and the do subtle tweaks ro see what happens.

If there's no trimmers, you'll be moving into mod territory, where you'll be altering the current resistor value of the potentiometers by either replacing them or adding an additional pot/trimmer to that position. Unless the board isn't SMT, I suspect you will not be up for it, running a real risk of damaging your box.
Hey thanks I just took it apart and the back has one resistor (4.7k) behind each switch, which then runs to the pots. Could I possibly just replace one of the resistors with one of less/greater value?

ERGExplorer

Hey thanks I just took it apart and the back has one resistor (4.7k) behind each switch, which then runs to the pots. Could I possibly just replace one of the resistors with one of less/greater value?
Sure... but if it was my box, I'd probably replace the resistor with a trimmer with a greater upper range, so I could adjust it (and the oscillator's pitch range) higher or lower with minimal effort.

If I was going that route, I'd might even see at what resistance the oscillator becomes unusable as an audible oscillator, and put in both a trimmer and a resistor (of just above that minimum value) in series so the trimmer couldn't adjust the oscillator out of usable range.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Chrome Dinette

I don't know what's in this, but I am guessing that changing a capacitor in each oscillator will make more of a difference than any resistor or trimpot.

Figure out which cap is affecting the oscillator you want to change and replace it with something 10 or 100 times the value.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom