Re-Wiring Guitar

bpotter12

I am rewiring my strat, which has EMG active pickups. The whole thing needs to be gutted; new wire, new pots, new toggle switch, added shielding, etc. I am good with a soldering iron so it isn't a big deal to do the work. What I do want to know is what are the components I should be purchasing and where should I get it. I have looked through stewmac but it seems to be a little over priced.

In short, what are the good quality and reasonably price components that I should be purchasing and from where?

Thanks guys

Mreilander

You will want (3) CTS full size, split and knurled short shaft pots, a CRL 5 way selector, and a .022uf (brighter/less sweep with turn of tone knob) or .047uf (darker/ more sweep) capacitor.

You can get them anywhere. Stew Mac, Mojotone, ebay, Allparts ect.

Mreilander

The norm is 22 or 24 awg. Just go to your local electronics place and ask for primary wire or hook-up wire. you can get a 25' spool for a couple $

Mreilander

There are some who will say yes. I have never used shielded wire in my guitars and have never had an issue. Just make sure your connections are nice and solid, and that all your grounds are good.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I just re-wired ny Les Paul... itr was quite an adventure. I now sounds awesome but it takes some doing.

Be SURE you get the correct schematic, there are a lot more connections that you might think.

I did a google search on "modern Les Paul Wiring" and then selected "images" - I got plenty, along with a lot of options.

My advice - set yourself up on a nice workbench (not on the floor, for example) with good light. You might be there for awhile.

Protect the body of the guitar. Another help is jumper cables with alligator clips just to see what different things might do.

A lot of people take the opportunity to upgrade to larger value pots and better constructed caps. Some people will say it doesn't matter. grounding and shielding are very important on Strats (non-humbucking) so keep that in mind, also.

Also keep a voltmeter handy to test continuity at the very least. And don't forget - when you flip a guitar over the placement of everything is "reversed" - the same with pots; depending on which side you have the three connectors facing, "1" maybe be at the top, or the bottom.

I also suggest you know the difference between "vintage" and "modern" wiring. They sound very different.

bpotter12

Noted and I have a great work bench setup for such a task.

Does anyone know where I can purchase 25k CTS pots? I can't seem to find any. The EMG pickups are active pickups which require 25k pots.