Reactor by Atomic

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by sugarlou, Feb 9, 2015.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Why aren't these cabs more popular?

It seems like a great balance between FRFR and a standard guitar cab.

I bought a CLR but am finding our PA isn't really up to handling all the guitar chores.

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

If your PA can't handle guitar, put the CLR up on a pole and position it so that it covers the room.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

One of the common complaints was that a 50W tube amp didn't have enough headroom.

4. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Wasn't that the complaint about the original 18 watt version and not the 50W Reactors?

My 50 watt Reactors had GOBS of headroom. I literally do not know how much more anyone could possibly need.

5. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Same complaints with the 50 watt.

I hated the one I had. Not enough clean headroom until it started to introduce it's own distortion, the low end was quite exaggerated, and the tweeter was prone to high-pitched feedback. I don't think there was anything wrong with the one I had because there were lots of complaints about the same problems back when they were sold. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

6. sugarlou

Im just getting used to FRFR ...Theres no way Im putting a guitar cab on a stick...I just can't.

So is the consensus use a guitar cab , say a 2x12 and a power amp? Turn cab sim off in the Axe?

I suppose i could run the CLR w sims and then output 2 to power amp cab sims off. Was hoping to not drag all that gear. These NJ cover band gigs don't pay that well.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. ethomas1013

No, there is no consensus. Some people prefer power amp/cab and some prefer FRFR monitor. I did the power amp/cab setup for a while for a while with a Matrix GT800 into a EVM12L loaded Mesa Thiele and then later a Matrix NS-12 (the Thiele blew away the NS-12, IMO for what it's worth). Once I got the CLR, I did a lot of side-by-side comparisons between the CLR with IR's and the power amp/cab setup. I ended up going with the CLR for the versatility. If you do go power amp/cab, I highly recommend the EV loaded Thiele.

I wouldn't write off putting the CLR on a pole for guitar use until you try it. You might be surprised.

FRFR is definitely different. I went back and forth for a few years trying several FRFR solutions. None of them sounded natural to me. The CLR is the first FRFR monitor that I actually liked but even with the CLR the tones are definitely not the same as an amp/cab, especially if you are use to an open back cab. Think of it as listening your amp mic'd up through a monitor and then you can better appreciate using an FRFR monitor for what it is.

Lastly, the old Atomic Reactors are definitely not FRFR. Full range, but far from flat. Also, the Atomics don't have near the volume of a single CLR, but I did not own then at the same time so that's just based on memory.

As always, IMO, etc...

8. sugarlou

Thanks Etho

Ive seen those Thiele cabs for sale ...Whats special about them?

Anyone running a CLR and standard cab/ power amp?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  9. wynsmth

wynsmth Supporting Member

This is how Jay Mitchell (the designer of the CLR) reccomends using it. Set it so the tweeter is above ear level.

10. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Are you talking about the Atomic FR? Because the Reactor amps didn't have a tweeter.

11. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

The Reactors weren't even FR. No tweeter. And I'm pretty darn sure it was every bit as loud as a CLR. My Reactor 212 competed with half stacks.

12. ethomas1013

I'm taking about the "Atomic Reactor FR". It was a 1x12 with a Tweeter, 50 watts. I didn't know they had a 2x12 model.

They most certainly did have a tweeter. It was in the upper right corner and had a volume control for the tweeter on the back (you can read part of it on the second picture below "TW.. Level). I complained to Atomic about the placement of the Tweeter in the upper right. 90% of guitarists are right-handed. I put the Axe-FX on top of the Atomic Cabinet. If I turned to fact the cabinet to make an adjustment on the AxeFX while playing that put the guitar pickups squarely in front of the tweeter. Ouch! Had they put the tweeter on the left it wouldn't have been right in front of your pickups unless you were playing left handed (sorry lefties). You definitely had to remember to turn the guitar down before turning to face the rig to make adjustments. Even while not facing the cabinet I had problems with high-pitched squeal from the tweeter and I'm most definitely NOT a high gain player. Maybe the one I had was defective, but there were other complaints at the time on the forums about the tweeter. This is at least 5-years ago...

No where near as loud as the CLR from my memory. Like I said, about as loud as a Deluxe Reverb.

This one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ethomas1013

Just personal preference. The ported Thiele cabinet puts out a LOT of low end for a 1x12 and competes with a 4x12. The EVM12L can take a lot of wattage and is a fairly neutral speaker so it works with a lot of different amp sims without imparting a lot of it's own tonal coloration. Definitely not flat, but I found it to work well with most everything from clean Fender tones to Marshall Plexi and old school Boogie tones. The Voxe tones may have suffered a bit because the speaker doesn't have the chime of a Celestion Blue. The downside is they are definitely heavy for a 1x12. That EV speaker has a very heavy magnet.

Again, IMO... Take it for what its worth. One person's opinion.

14. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

This is how Jay Mitchell recommends using any speaker, including a guitar cab. You'll get much more articulate sound, and, more importantly, your audience will hear what you're hearing. I know it's a radical concept, but it really does work.

Set the whole speaker above ear level. Musical content that lies below the crossover frequency is at least as important as what lies above.

15. wynsmth

wynsmth Supporting Member

Thanks of clarifying Jay. I was going by memory from a post of yours from a while back. 1 question, do you mean above the ear level of the guitarist or the audience?

16. sugarlou

If I put it up on a stick how am I supposed to hear it? The whole guitar cab on a pole makes me uneasy. Feels like a corporate meeting hall gig or something. We play 90% rock stuff and some on the heavy side. It just doesn't seem natural to me but neither did the FRFR concept. It would seem to me ( and I very certainly can be wrong) that with the cab in the air I would loose bottom/ low mid. Theres something about a cabinet connecting w the floor that translates a good solid feel. I don't even like amp stands for small tube combos.

My bud has a pole stand. Ill try it.

17. ethomas1013

How are you suppose to hear it? The better question is how are you suppose to hear a cab on the floor pointing towards the back of your knees?

No, it's not "natural". If the "look" is so important then you might want to consider going with a head/4x12 and forget the whole FRFR thing.

Don't forget there is a switch on the back of the CLR. Switch it to FF when pole mounded.

18. sugarlou

I've been playing guitar for 30 years w a cab on the floor. Never had issues hearing it

It's not just a matter of "look". I could care less about how it looks. I think I'll try a conventional guitar cab along w the CLR. I was really just curious about reactor cabs.

I'm not bashing on the CLR. It kicks ass. And I'm not looking to go back to a head /cab cause of the variety of styles I need to cover.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  19. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Then we're talking about two entirely different amps. When the OP said "Reactor", I assumed he was talking about the models that preceded the FR, which were 112 and 212 50-watt models without a tweeter. I'm telling you, LOUD is an understatement.

20. sugarlou

I honestly didn't know there were tweeter and non tweeter versions