Reading Question: How long do you flatten(sharpen) a note when not expressed in the Key Signature?

Oneofthe

Hi:

I remember in my High School Band days, which was over fifteen years ago, a note with a flat (not in the Key Signature) was flattened until a natural sign brought it back to natural. I think I am remembering wrong though.

Here is a song where this problem is troubling me, the part is in red:

Scan_Pic0001_zpsubq1snzg.jpg

So, are all three E's flattened or just the first one with the next two being natural until you return to the E flat in the next line? Then there is the A flat followed by the A natural right after that...so, what is the convention.

Thank you.

dingusmingus

It stays flat within the measure. So, all three are flat.

It would normally revert in the next measure to the key signature, thus the need for the next Eb in measure 10.

Oneofthe

It stays flat within the measure. So, all three are flat.

It would normally revert in the next measure to the key signature, thus the need for the next Eb in measure 10.

Thank you, kind sir, that sounds more accurate than my poor memory remembered.

Is it accurate to say the following (anyone can reply because I don't want to bother you too much)

1. A flat (sharp) in the key signature is always flat(sharp) unless there is a natural, that natural is the exception, the Key reverts even within a measure
2. For all other flat(sharps) the flat (sharp) remains within the measure and reverts in the following measure unless flattened again.

Is that correct. The one that is dicey is the first. Thanks.

bigEbeer

Thank you, kind sir, that sounds more accurate than my poor memory remembered.

Is it accurate to say the following (anyone can reply because I don't want to bother you too much)

1. A flat (sharp) in the key signature is always flat(sharp) unless there is a natural, that natural is the exception, the Key reverts even within a measure
2. For all other flat(sharps) the flat (sharp) remains within the measure and reverts in the following measure unless flattened again.

Is that correct. The one that is dicey is the first. Thanks.

1. No, the accidental (flat, natural or sharp) will still last the whole measure.

2. Correct but see #1

Trending Topics

Top Bottom