Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mdrake34, Apr 19, 2015.

1. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Just finished this wonderful debut novel today. It is hands down the most fun and enjoyable book I've read in years - and this is cliche, but it's a true page turner. Spielberg has already signed on to direct the movie adaptation.

If you are a fan of science fiction, fantasy, video games, and 80's pop culture references, stop what you are doing immediately and go buy this book.

I know at least one other poster has read it, anyone else?

[​IMG]

monstergirl and aynirar27 like this.
  2. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

Really great book. I enjoyed it a lot. It was worth it for the 80's video game and pop culture references alone.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

The first two acts are solid. The the book goes over the deep end in the third loses all focus is very uneven and is quite poor. It feels unrefined in that act. But overall not bad. I think the movie is unfilmable though.

4. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

very good read. i really enjoyed it. now i'm considering reading it again :)

5. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Listened to the audio version on a family trip over spring break. Nice to find a book that interests me, my wife, and my 11 year old can listen to in the car with only a few $#&^& words.

You might also like the Off to be the Wizard series by Scott Meyer. We really enjoyed them.

6. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I was born in 1986, so some of the references, especially all the gaming references, were lost on me. But I recognized almost all of the music, TV, and movie references.

It does get a little wonky at the end, but it was such a fun read I didn't mind.

Why do you think the movie is unfilmable? To the extent they could never get permission to use all of the pop culture references, I read an interview with Speilberg and he mentioned that. He said with the Lego movie, a lot of references were agreed upon because they were excited to be associated with the movie. He thinks the same will happen with this project.

Yeah, there weren't too many bad words, but I imagine the paragraph about Halliday's affinity for choking the chicken was awkward during the ride. :hide

7. bkatx

bkatx Member

I'm about half way through and am really enjoying it. It's not quite as good as Daemon or Freedom (kind of similar recent novels) but the 80's pop culture references are fun

8. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

Great book! It was a fun read. I'm not sure if the movie will do it justice, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

It's not just references. You are talking about full games and movies inside of a movie. It's like Inception, only to the Nth degree. Plus, it will require a TON of SFx work. Plus references to things that are too geek for geeks, like supplements to D&D handbooks, arcade games that 99% of the population has never heard of, etc.

I just don't think a movie will do it justice.

10. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I read it and tend to agree that it fell apart a bit at the end. I'm interested to see how the movie is. I really enjoyed the book. I was born in 1978 so the references were right in my wheelhouse.

11. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I had heard it previously so strategically turned down the volume to point out a really interesting farmers field at that point :)

12. jurfin

jurfin Member

I have a coworker that lets me borrow books now and again, and he always gives me things outside of the scope of what i naturally gravitate towards, like this book.

I read it over the course of two days i think. It was a page turner! I liked it fine. I would be excited to see the movie...

13. telephone

telephone Supporting Member

Read it last spring. Dug it despite the looseness of the last third. Fun.

14. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

Is the plot like Pixels?

15. sahhas

sahhas Member

instead of starting a new thread, just saw this last week:

I figured TGP would be all over this movie, 1/2 way through the trailer they start to play Rush's "Tom Sawyer"....figured everyone would go crazy for that!
    the movie looks like a great mash-up of 80s pop culture references: Tron light cycle, Back to the Future Delorean, etc (there's a lot more)...
    it was funny when I read the book and enjoyed it, I found out that my son had already read it, and I sort of laughed that i doubt he'd get most of the 80s pop culture references....
    but I found it a good book, sort of worried how it will translate to the big screen...there is a lot going on in the book for a 2 hr movie, i thought!

WholeLottaGlove likes this.
  16. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

"The Waterboy" used it better ;)

sahhas likes this.