1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ready to Pull Out My Hair

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kev324, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Anybody else feel this way about Cubase LE? I feel like a blithering idiot whenever I try to do anything with it. I'm ready to back to Audacity.

2. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I used old Acid pro 3 in the past ....sure miss it for ease of use........
    Haven't mastered the Cubase yet......everyday I get a little closer....:puh

3. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

Don't do cubase but I know I felt PLENTY stupid when I first started using Sonar Producer. It's got way more than I know how to use but it does a great job. Just a large learning curve. I'm pretty comfortable with it now but I have a friend who's been great about helping me along the way. I'm pretty good with it now but it takes a while.

PS-I STILL export my master, save it as a wav and import it into audacity for final clipping and start and finish. It's easy and it lets me leave my original alone without mucking it up!

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Have you thought about giving Reaper a go? It is a pretty simple and straightforward DAW and is only $50 (you can try it for free). It is small, fast, lightweight, and is updated almost daily.

5. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

This is exactly why I use Ableton Live now. All the ability, none of the complication. Do yourself a favor and at least try it.

6. meterman

meterman Member

I started out with Cubase SE but recently switched to Reaper and like it much better, definitely worth checking out

7. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I'm looking into Reaper. Do the major drum softwares work with it? I'm looking into Kitcore, or maybe addictive Drums if I can swing the cash. Even the demo of AD has great sounding drums.

8. meterman

meterman Member

I'm using EZDrummer and Addictive Drums with Reaper no problems at all.

9. stevel

stevel Member

I use Cubase LE and have no problems with it (other than it's not the full-blown version).

In fact, I have it on 5 computers in a MIDI/Electronic music lab and teach courses using it.

I chose Cubase because, 1, it was free (came with gear we bought) and 2, because it was so intuitive.

I've used many sequencers/DAWs - Pro Tools, EZ Logic, Cakewalk, Performer, even Garageband.

I found Cubase to be more intuitive, user friendly, and "standardized" than any other program for MIDI Sequencing. For hardcore Audio I'm still going to go to Pro Tools (I haven't used full version of Logic) but Cubase's Audio implementation is well done IMHO.

My biggest complaint about Cubase LE are that the program appears to have been written in "stages" over the years, and little things like the "pencil tool" in one window will be the last button, but it will be the second button in some other window.

Lack of consistency.

But I tried Ableton and couldn't even figure out how to make it work. I've used all this other software, no problem. So I figure, if I can open the program and start recording music without even cracking the manual, then it's a good program. And Cubase did that for me. It's intuitive enough that I can teach a class on it and students actually learn to use it.

Wish you less baldness.

Steve

10. stevel

stevel Member

That's so funny, because I'm the exact opposite.

It must be a question of what you get used to first, and how different the next program you use is.

Steve

11. Judson

Judson Senior Member

I like that feeling.

Thats why I use Logic. The environment, hyper editor, all that **** is not way over my head and I can use it but its that they go deeper than I understand how to use at this point. I love that I still have more to learn. I also use many other programs for different stages of the process for the same reasons.

And all that is why I do not use Ableton Live. It is too simple for me.

I think your knowledge of recording in general or what you are trying to do (sampling, electronic music, whatever) will have a greater affect on how easy a program is to use for you. You are creating music using old techniques its just that we are now doing it on modern machines.

As Daniel Snaith said to me after a show a few years ago, It doesn't matter what DAW I use to make my music, it all sounds the same. Yea, every plug in will have its advantages and disadvantages but its all about your knowledge of music not computers that determines what your stuff sounds like.

Coming from the dude who makes EVERYTHING on the Caribou/Manitoba records.

12. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

DAWs can be intimidating. Don't underestimate the importance of having a friend that already uses the system who will teach you some things and let you watch their workflow. I tend to think that, among the various pro level DAWs, most people are better off going with the system that their friends use, for that reason, rather than the one that seems the best on paper or according to whatever other criteria they are using.

Those extra features that the other system has aren't going to help you if you abandon it in frustration from not being able to quickly grasp the fundamentals and actually get working. I think we develop our impressions about these things very quickly, and it's hard to change those attitudes once they are formed, so it is critical to have the initial experience be a complete one, where you actually record something and have some fun with it and hear the results.

13. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

stevel- where are you located, can I take your class?:dude

I've briefly used a former acquaintance of mine's Digital Performer and no problems doing simple things with it. I spent 3 or 4 fours at the computer last night and accomplished nothing. By the time I actually had a track recorded, I could see the wave form, the click track would play through, but the audio track would not. I like buttons to do what they say they do, so when I press play, I like to hear music.
    Not to mention the horribly slow midi response. I'll admit I have no midi experience whatsoever so that may be a learning curve as well, or maybe that I'm using a cheap Yamaha keyboard to control it. All in all, by the time I reset the drivers about 3 times I still have nothing to show for my effort. I'd love to make it work, it seems to have a lot of nice tools for a entry level product. I'll be back at it tonight trying to wrap my head around it. I appreciate all the support from everyone, your suggestions have been very helpful.

14. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

Once you get one of them down, you will find they have a lot of similarity between them. By far the best thing you can do find somebody that knows how to use the application and have them give you a brief guided tour. 1 hour with somebody that knows how to use the app can save weeks of frustration. I do it for people pretty regularly. Even if you have to post to Craigs list or somethng like and pay some kid $25 for an hour or 2 it would be well worth it.

15. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Not a bad idea....

16. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

As I recall, Live comes with a very handy, step-by-step tutorial on how to get up and running that you can watch onscreen. I really liked how Live felt, and if I weren't so happy w/ DP 6, I'd definitely jump ship.