Ready to step up to high end stereo/audio. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by jumpnblues, Feb 24, 2019.

1. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

And power conditioners too. The electricity coming into my music studio is pretty noisy and there didn't seem to be much isolation of the audio components from my guitar gear.....just a lot of frustrating noise. I bought the Isotek EV03 Aquarius and it may have been the single biggest improvement in the performance of all of my components. The sound is much more dynamic with more presence. No more hum out of my SET tube amps. Ground loops disappeared because of the isolated inputs on the Isotek. Great piece of audio gear.

CheckSix likes this.
  2. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Thanks man! NAS = Network Attached Storage. PC/Server + NAS and then something like Roon to manage it. I have access to 2+ Terabytes of music, once I get my DAC setup.

Which inputs do you use on your Yggy for the various devices? I was reading folks were having trouble with the USB and were using the AES primarily. Any comments?

Schiit say that the Yggy takes time to break in and to not judge it early on.

3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Does my Bluesound node 2i qualify as a NAS? In addition to Tidal, I can plug in a USB flash drive and I can access each unit from different rooms in my home.

I use a Mutec MC3+USB into which I plug all my digital audio devices, including my computer, OPPO and hard drive storage. The Mutec goes into the Yggy via AES. Here's a link: https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

The Bluesound, Tidal, and the Mutec have really broadened my horizons as far as hifi goes.

Do you have any experience with the new Parasound JC5? A friend has one and from what I heard it is an eye opener.

4. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Thanks! I was reading that the AES was the best sounding connection into the Yggy also.

Yes, I heard the JC5 in the Parasound Room (Rm 730) last April at AXPONA. It sounded really good.

5. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

If you're not listening to Vinyl, lossless digital, or tape - spending 20 grand on a stereo is beyond absurd. To use it for lossy audio is crazy as hell.

6. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

Not taking advantage of lossless digital files and software players that make them sound their best in 2019 would be a shame.

When I started on computer audio, made the mistake of buying a Gregg Allman recording on iTunes, paid close to CD price and wow, it was immediately available on my music computer. Played it using Audirvana through the Wavelength USB to SPDIF converter feeding a Wadia 861i, a very musical CD player with multiple digital inputs...and it sounded like crap, immediate reaction was that TBone Burnett messed up the mix. Cymbals sounded bad, flat and lifeless sound with no clarity in the bass.

Checked online and found that iTunes sold compressed files, ones with at least half the data stripped,great for an iPod at the gym or in the car. Went out and bought the physical CD, night and day difference...

Only buy iTunes when I'm asked to learn a pop tune for a band gig and not interested in owning the album, like Journey or Bon Jovi...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 3:56 PM
    amigo30 likes this.
  7. BradleyCB

BradleyCB Member

OP, after all of the responses, any idea which way you are leaning right now? I'm in a similar spot with you right now, though I wanted to add a turntable too. After researching current audio components on Friday, I ended up with a headache. My wife was speechless after I told her how much some of these CD players alone can cost. I ended up doing what any sensible TGPer would do: I went back to looking at guitars instead.

Let me know how your hunt is going!

Old Man Old Wood likes this.
  8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Yeah, I listened to a few systems about a week ago at a local audio store. The system that really impressed me the most was one based on the Audio Research VSi75 integrated tube amp and Revel P-228 Performa Be. Very accurate but sweet sounding. Just the right amount of "fat" around the edges. Great clean, clear, bass. Very smooth high end. Unfortunately, we got crushed by taxes. So the audio system is going to be put off for about a year. But that's OK. I have a lot of research and learning to do so that I can make competent decisions on a new audio system. I just turned 69 and this might be the last high end audio system I'll own. I want it to be the right one.

BradleyCB likes this.
  9. johntoste

johntoste Member

You're looking in the right direction.
    May your fortunes improve!

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Thank you.

11. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Sorry to hear about the taxes thing. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to see my return. I turned 65 last year and will be putting together a surround system based on the Revel F208's I currently own as soon as I find a house to buy but need to sell the one I'm in now first. Painful process. I'll get a C 208 center channel, a pair of F206's for rear surround and two subs, probably just keep it at 5.2. I'm looking at the Lexicon MC-10 for a preamp/processor (Dirac) and a 5 channel ATI power amp. A Roon Nucleus is on the list too. I hope some of the information I have given you has been helpful. Feel free to ask me anything, I've been doing this a long time. I worked as a recording and live sound engineer for over 30 years and have put together a lot of high end audio and home theater systems. Happy to help any TGP folks if I can.

Be aware that tube power amps can alter the frequency response of many loudspeakers. I recommend using solid state power amps for audio, tube amps are for guitars, lol.

12. rlh1101

rlh1101 Member

Hello, I use to be into high-end stuff like 10 years ago but had to move to apartments so got out of it. Since you're fine with your multi-channel then I'd go with a standard 2 speaker stereo of old. Aragon amps like the one I had was the 8008BB and it kicked butt! I had an $800 Adcom amp with the same wattage rating but the current and sound quality of Aragon blew the Adcom away. As for speakers, I'm fond of Legacy Audio which have 4-5 way speakers rather than the average 2 or 3 way. I'd spend $3-5000 on speakers. $2500-3000 on a amp. As for a preamp, you have to consider whether you want a solid-state or tube. That be another $1500-2500 at least when I bought this stuff as I'm not up to date on prices today. I'd get a phono turntable and some vinyl if you're willing to spend that amount of money. Also, don't skimp on speaker wire or connection cables.

I would also instead consider a $1-2k HD "MP3" player and $3-500 good set of headphones then purchase Hi-Res FLAC, Lossless. ALAC etc HD downloads as a much cheaper alternative. I would not go the High-end stereo route unless 75% of your listening is with your CDs as you'd be wasting your money if you mostly listen to MP3 or streaming as they are not high-end mediums.

The term high-end is subjective as high-end to me was my $2500 Aragon while others might be 10k Krell. I had around 15k invested in 90's money while some may not consider that high-end as its subjective. I'm very picky so since I'm not up to date, all I can help you do is not waste your money by buying something expensive if your major medium will be MP3's or streaming.