Real differences between JTM45 builds (here I go...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by A-Mags, Mar 25, 2015.

1. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

So I've figured that the JTM45 is the right amp for me. As always, I take a lot of time to make up my mind as I look into the minutiae.
    But I feel this is a legit question, I don't want to go amp trading later. I want to invest in this amp and be done with it.
    As I understand it, the differences between my preferred choices (Metropoulos, Colby/Park, Merren, Wallace) are minimal/if any variances in faithful recreations of the original circuit by different builders.
    The thing I wonder is why would I should I choose Park or Metro when they use Merren transformers and he makes his own JTM45?
    I'm not interested in aesthetics, I just want the best lovely clean tones a JTM can give as well as that Beano breakup.
    I'm also looking For the great feel of the amp.
    If they are all such similar builds within the same price range, what should I be looking for given that I cannot play any of them beforehand?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. 71strat

71strat Member

Some of the amps recreate the Earlier Radiospaers version and Metro does the later 66 version that has the great OD and is about 8 watts more.

I got the Metro Limited Edition GMP45 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

It is a Metro build with Mustard Caps and NOS tubes. Not a finer JTM45 has ever been built. Including the Original.

Check out the 2009 Premier Guitar.

45 Degrees of Tone. JTM45 shootout.

45 Degrees of Tone: The JTM45 Roundup - Premier Guitarwww.premierguitar.com/.../45_Degrees_of_Tone_The_JT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Thanks, 71!
    anyone else?

4. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I've been sounding like a broken record lately because it's my latest acquisition, but try a Marshall Bluesbreaker. It's a 2x12 design and nails the Beano and Led Zeppelin tones VERY easily. How? It needs to be cranked! I have a buddy with a giant basement and we tested it last week while the house was empty against his '72 vintage JTM45 head/cab. They were nearly identical!

Just ordered myself a Fryette Power Station and hope to be able to nail the cranked JTM45 Beano tone at more reasonable volume.

5. cugel

cugel Member

you cant go wrong w/ any of those, but i would probably go with metro. i didnt want to drop too much coin so i got a union jack jtm45~50. once i threw in 66s and rebiased it it came to life. i am very very pleased with the tones i am getting and i have less than a grand in it.

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I wasn't aware that Chris Merren was even making amps. Last I heard he was busy with his transformers and day job. Did you contact him? If not I would do so before going crazy doing the research.

You should add Mojave Plexi 45 to that list

7. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

I did and he was

8. ashtuzhed

ashtuzhed Member

i am very very pleased with the tones i am getting and i have less than a grand in it.[​IMG]

9. Roe

Roe Member

that old mag shootout was very poor. the "original" reference 45 turned out to have an unoriginal el34 50w output transformer (making it a jtm50 basically).

the 45 clones vary quite a lot. some run 400v, others 470v. Some use 6k6 RS OT, others a 8k drake.

10. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

I personally don't believe any JTM45 discussion is complete without including Greg Germino's amps.

11. Faded

Faded Member

I would consider his work at the top of the list.

12. Brian Wallace

Brian Wallace Member

Very true Roe, no disrespect to the magazine or writers but the old JTM45 was not a stock piece so it was not a good example to be compared to.

13. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Indeed

14. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I remember telling me that he sent KT66s with his amp for the shoutout and for some reason they never installed them for a more accurate comparison

15. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

can anyone tell me more about the differences between the same circuit amongst different builders and who use each others components?

16. Roe

Roe Member

transformers are the most important part. do you like the stock 450v voltage or do you prefer the metro's 400v voltage? (giving a browner, sweeter and more compressed sound with slower response and less headroom). Do you like the cleanish sound and huge bass of the radiospares 6k6 or do you prefer the marshall crunch of the drake 8k?

17. 71strat

71strat Member

Drake for me !!!

18. Roe

Roe Member

the drakes sound more like the later plexis. the RS is often said to be somewhat hi-fi sounding with a flat, wide frequency response that gives good bass and the clean sound is to kill for