Real Heavy Metal Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FloridaSam, Aug 8, 2008.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

That's exactly what this is!
    1976 Kramer 250G Aluminum kneck.

I got this recently from of all places.... Guitar Center.

It wasn't something I was really looking for but its in really nice shape for a 32 year old guitar. No fret wear or buckle rash. This one sat in a case for a long time. I actually got a GREAT deal on it so I had to take it home.

It set up like a dream, really flat radius, Petillo frets and when they say it sustains forever they ain't lying. This thing really has a unique sound, almost like its got a compressor working, but it doesn't.

And yes, its damn heavy, gotta be 11lbs if its an ounce. I don't care though, it plays so nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and if you have ANY interest in early Kramers please check out this new site. The pictures are priceless (lots of early VH content too).

http://www.andypapiccio.com/photos.htm

2. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I've been wanting to try out one of those metal neckers since I first found out about them but haven't had the chance. I know its not a highly thought of period for guitars but I find the more experimental stuff from that time period really interesting.

I'm always kind of on the lookout for one of these but doubt I'll ever actually come across one, at least not that I could afford.
    [​IMG]

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Anyone else have luv for the metalnecks?

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

5. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Is the fretboard metal too? I've seen a few different guitars with metal fretboards, its another thing I've always been curious to try out just to see how it feels. I do know I think it looks really cool though. I think that's the first metal neck through with wood wings that I've ever seen though, looks really cool if nothing else.

This thread got me thinkin alot about these metal necked Kramers again, I'd love to find one just to try it out if nothing else. I just have a great curiousity just to see how it feels and sounds.

Apparently no one really cares about metal necked Kramers and although I've not played one, I still think they're really cool lol.

6. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a Kramer but I did pick up a Tokai Talbo. It's an all aluminum body with a wood neck.
    Very cool and different.

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

My brother has one of these; got it about 20 years ago. Looks just like that, except it has a natural finish. He hardly plays at all these days, so it mostly just looks nice in his living room. I play a few licks on it whenever I'm around though. Pretty nice guitar.

-Austin

8. phantasm

phantasm Member

I hade a couple of the DMZ models ( a bass & matching guitar w/ 3 single coils) back in the mid 90's. Kind of wish i still had them, but my back is glad i don't . I don't think it's the neck that's all that heavy, it's the solid maple bodies that make them feel like lead weights. I missed out on a talbo a few months ago- i think it only went for $650 too. Ebay screws me every time.