Real or Fake Vintage Strat Review- Help needed.

jackaroo

A friend of mine is thinking about getting this...He's not a vintage guitar buff, and frankly I'm at a loss as to how to help on this. So I figured I'd post this photos and see what the TGP crew thinks.

Real or fake?

eric-d

If it was an OG '62 - it was obviously a sunburst that has been refinished black. I do see the usual nail holes in the right spots - but that can easily be faked. I can see the indention in the neck pocket from what could have been a shim.... How much is the guy asking?!

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
Why would the person refinishing this leave the date alone? Obviously the refin looks like it was done a long time ago, when pretty much NOBODY cared about such things. It's a little fishy.

Or it's a relic job.

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
if it was a burst, and refinned black, why would there be a white undercoat UNDER the orig. burst?

did fender ever do that?

bgwicks

The wood with the date in the trem cavity looks a little too smooth. Most originals seem to have a rougher finish in the cavities.

Also the pencil looks too thin. Overall it looks suspect to me. here is a 63 refinished by RS guitarworks with the cavity. See how much rougher it is.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Look at the router bit diameter in the trem cavity vs. a real one (corner radius). Compare the belly cut/upper horn intersection location vs. a real '62.

jackaroo

So, Hogy...are you saying it's not legit? I don't have pix of what you're talking about.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
So, Hogy...are you saying it's not legit? I don't have pix of what you're talking about.
Yes you do. The (apparently real) refinished sonic blue Strat in this very thread. Look at the corner radius of the trem rout compared to yours. For the belly cut you'll have to search pics on the net.

Once a vintage guitar has been refinished all bets are off. Do your homework..

jackaroo

Thanks Hogy- I'm just trying to help my friend not get ripped off.

This is not mine.

I saw the one above after I posted, and I guess I can track the other stuff down. Thanks for the heads up.

Stay happy-

Jack

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not a vintage expert but for what it's worth I've played and been a part of some 60's strat dismantling and this one looks a bit fishy. This is mainly because of the refin so from the pics it makes it a little hard to tell.

My opinion (again for what it's worth) would be to stay away from it. Unless it's real cheap if all he wants is the body there are a lot of better options out there.

Glide

If there`s any doubt at all with a vintage piece. I walk away.
This statement says it all and I hold the same belief. There are too many out there to try to convince yourself about authenticity on a particular one.

kmcmichael

Take it to someone and get it appraised. I have a refinished 60 but the date is on the neck. The only reason I know mine is real is I have had it for 25 years.

Trending Topics