Real world TUBE heads sold on the strength of their CLEAN tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telejester, Feb 25, 2020.

1. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

2 Rock for bigger $

Most Dr Zs including the EZG, Z Lux & Wrecks

Swart amps

/13 FTR

Fender HRD

Any SF & BF Fender

PaulHudgins and JasonElGato like this.
  2. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Pretty much the whole Two Rock line
    All SSS clones

You're right though, it's an easy question with a million answers until you say HEAD

JasonElGato likes this.
  3. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I tried this years back....Fender blues deluxe and HRD III worked well for me. Since then I've tried a lot of other stuff and found some tube preamps into the FX return of an EL34 amp or into a solid state power amp / cab works best. I find that some of the fender scoop mids a lot and you get hard od tones depending on what you do.

4. DonP

DonP Member

My 1979 2203 put out 120 clean watts using GE 6550's. Way too loud.

C-4 likes this.
  5. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

Marshall DSL series. They have killer clean channels, a great FX loop and are cheap and easy to acquire.

6. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Depends on what you’re looking for, really. Lots of choices. If you like brighter, chimney cleans then amps based on a Vox circuit (Vox, Morgan, 65 Amps London, etc) will be excellent choices. If you want a fuller sound with more headroom, then amps based on Fender circuits might be more your thing. Not a lot of wrong answers here, many tube amps have great sounding clean channels.

7. dspellman

dspellman Member

Carvin Belair and Nomad (2x12 and 1x12s, respectively) are spectacular for their cleans. Around $300-350 used 50W

Ditto Carvin X100B series amps (also moderate in their use cost). 60W and 100W. Active controls, wide-ranging EQ.

kookaburra likes this.
  8. dspellman

dspellman Member

Nope. They had active controls, but that's as solid state as they got. They're as tube as a Mesa. I've got one sitting right here that you can peek at.

9. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

I know you said tube... but the Roland Jazz Chorus amps has an incredible clean tone

CharAznable likes this.
  10. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

I really love the cleans of my Orange TH30. Cleans are very important to me, and for years I used a Twin Reverb thinking it doesn't get much better than that. Once I got the TH30 and put it through it's paces with my band, I pretty much retired the Twin. The TH30 of course is not as clean and shiny tonally as a Twin, but it sounds much better in the mix in my opinion. Plus, when I need a bit of drive, the dirty channel is also wonderful, better than any pedal through the Twin I ever tried. I keep the Twin because it could be useful for recording when I need that shiny clean sound, but have no use for it in a live situation any more. Which as an added bonus is probably saving my back some mileage, maybe save me a few years of back pain.

11. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

But!, clean. ;)
    I'm with you on the loud part. I use either Yellow Jackets, or in combination with Smicz TADs, which are one watt output valves, to get the wattage down to playable levels.

I did that with my Diezel amps as well, and was able to use them in situations where I normally would have trouble, volume-wise. They worked out very well.

Now, I'm using the Mini Jubilee, a Pleximan, or the BluGuitar Amp1 and Remote1 in live shows. Any of these three are great for what I need.

12. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Meh... it's an aquired taste and very one dimensional. Not a sound I would go for unless modeling after a certain JC-120 player. Totally changes the sound of your guitar. Walter Woods is way more transparent, if you can get him to build one for you which is sadly unlikely.

13. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Marshall Astoria Classic has amazing cleans -- no dirt channel. It was marketed by some as a "pedal platform" but it is awesome with just a nice guitar too.

At their most affordable, they were just a little over $1k used. Asking prices on these can be a little crazy dies to low supply.

And yeah, AC30 is another great suggestion.

14. DonP

DonP Member

I'm down to a 2525H and a DSL1HR which I really love.

C-4 likes this.
  15. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

The Dr.Z Route 66 was one of my all time favorites for a long time.
    I’ve got the Jetta now, and it rivals it, IMO. Simplicity, headroom, and big tone that hits you in the chest with mids like my old Hiwatt did.

16. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I’d like to hear about people’s experience with fake world tube heads for cleans.

SimAlex and RockBlocker like this.
  17. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

DUDE. Read the forum rules. We aren’t supposed to talk about that here.

RockBlocker and scott58 like this.
  18. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

This is what I use...1976 Hiwatt Custom 100. The amp doesn't have a dirt channel at all, I just run it super clean and my pedalboard provides dirt, modulation effects and everything else. For me this is the best of both worlds because I have never heard a clean tone I've liked better, but I can also build on the rig indefinitely with various pedals as my tastes and desires change.

It's certainly not cheap, but boy is it worth it to me. Completely stopped looking at amps after I picked this thing up about 10 years ago.

[​IMG]

19. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

I had @JPH118 of Henry Amplification build me a "clean only" head. Loud (when needed), warm and clean. With reverb, a mid boost and bright switch.
    Takes pedals like a champ and has been great. I have it since November and have been using it for every gig. I genuinely love this head.
    If you are looking for a clean-only head, def check out Henry's offering.

JPH118 likes this.
  20. KaBudokan

KaBudokan Member

I have a TopHat Ambassador that's my favorite clean tone ever. There are 35, 50, and 100 watt varieties. They're out of production (though I think Brian would make you one if you called him), but they're available at a pretty reasonable price used. They're a take on the Fender clean thing with a bit more flexibility in the midrange.

Besides the obvious suggestions of Fenders, the Suhr Bella, or an OTS variant (I had a Ceriatone that I loved the cleans on) would be some other options.

Bigsby likes this.