Realistic Amp like reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tigerfan2, May 13, 2015.

1. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

So I had a HOF and didn't like it. Felt like it would never get warm. So I'm looking for another reverb for my 68 bandmaster.

I'm looking for a great amp like reverb. It doesn't have to do surf or shimmer although I'd be alright if it did.

Of course I've looked at the strymon stuff and I really like the blue sky and flint( would like a trem as well).

I've also looked at the surf rider(which I liked),Mr black deluxe plus, which I thought sounded good for both but I'm not sure if I like that it doesn't have separate channels for the reverb and trem.

I know the super spring theory is supposed to be good but I couldn't really find a great demo of it.

So with all that said help? Anything I've got to check out, playing is pretty much out of the question without traveling.

Thanks.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Check out the Hardwire Supernatural or RV-7 for spring reverb.

3. westarttodrift

westarttodrift Member

It is hard to go wrong with the Holy Grail... cheap, sounds spot-on, and is the nano ones are tiny! If you need more flexibility give the Cathedral a try, you can get them used for pretty cheap.

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

5. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I just put a catlinbread topanga on my board and I'm done thinking about reverb. sounds better than the holy grail, HoF, and frv-1 (IMO).

6. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Topanga, Super Spring Theory, Mojo Hand Dew Drop, Mad Professor Silver Spring.

7. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

Topanga all the way!

8. derekeugene

derekeugene Member

VanAmps Sole Mate all day.

I was on the same sort of reverb quest and this was the only thing I found that was really spot on with amp reverb.

9. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Digitech Polara on Spring setting of course. Topanga is warmer, but the 'drip' is not as good.

10. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

I watched some topanga demos and it sounded pretty good. I really need to find a place to try some out.

I have to say that I wasn't a fan of the polara, it seemed too "digital" but maybe it sounds better in person.

The soul mate and the like are great sounding but I really don't know if I want to use that much space on my board.

11. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

T-Rex Room Mate (tube version) - warm and natural sounding, very adjustable, kinda pricey, and unfortunately doesn't have a spring setting

Carl Martin Headroom - true spring reverb, with real springs like the Sole Mate, but different; I had a Sole Mate Jr. and didn't like it -- it was too bright and I couldn't dial that out. The Headroom doesn't suffer from that, and it's a genuine spring reverb and works very well. Only complaint is that it is a bit subtle. Not suitable for surf, but great for adding a convincing reverb sound to anything.

Red Panda Context - another reverb great pedal that's very adjustable and covers a lot of ground. It has some very high end components inside, so the signal is very clean genuine sounding.

12. Big_ryan

Big_ryan Member

right now i have a topanga / polara / and FRV-1 fighting it out on my board, im in a surf band so im trying to get that drip.

id say that the topanga is the best 'sounding' it lets more of your natural tone through without squashing the grit of your drive.

the FRV-1 has the best drip but really colors your sound.

and the polara has a good sound with a nice drip but i dont consider it the best, better drip than the topanga maybe but it doesn't sound as good all around.

i don't know if i would recommend any of them for an amp style reverb considering that i use them to go for a reverb unit sound.

13. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

Yeah that's the problem I'm having is that most reverbs seem to be either going for a tank sound (which is good just not what I'm needing) or lots of big shimmering sounds (which again sounds nice but not what I need)

I used to have a hermida reverb (the first one) and I remember liking it and it was cheap but I don't like the new version as well.

14. MHG

MHG Member

Lee Jackson Mr. Springgy. It doesn't get any better if you're looking for a subtle reverb.

15. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mojoverb unit is my favorite.

16. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Rockett's got a new one coming out around the end of the month, called the "BOING", similar looks and size to the Archer, one BIG knob.......Shawn Tubbs did a nice video of it recently.......sounds good.

17. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

Really like the boing.

Got to try out a holy grail nano and boss 63 verb, didn't like the nano but thought the boss was pretty decent. Little bright and really more verb than I'd probably use.

Hopefully I'll be able to head to Nashville soon and maybe somebody up there will have some more I can try out.

18. dcbc

dcbc Member

If you can find one, the BK Butler Real Tube Reverb is incredible.

19. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

Maybe go plate, instead of spring.

The Catalinbread Talisman is a plate reverb and is my favorite for an authentic sounding touch of reverb.

20. GuitarGuy503

GuitarGuy503 Member

Good call Sociophile. I recently got the Talisman and Super Spring Theory planning to keep both flavors but find I favor plate verb. Having said that, I'm not liking the drip of the SST and generally feel the Talisman and Plate Reverb is much more my cup of tea. I plan to return the SST as I don't believe that I'm much of a spring reverb kindof person.