Realistic Asking Price for a '62 Reissue Telecaster (Celebrity Signed)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6strang, Mar 4, 2015.

1. 6strang

6strang Supporting Member

Hey all.

I have a 1984 Fender '62 reissue telecaster in sunburst that I am thinking of parting with. It has numerous dings and is not a museum piece by any stretch.

It does have a Glendale bridge, compensated saddles, and Florence Voodoo TE-60s pickups with a 4 way switch. The frets have a good amount of life left in them and have no issues. Comes with an medium quality hardshell tweed case.

I did play it on stage with Brad Paisley and he signed the back of the guitar neck - proof on youtube as it was captured on video.

I was thinking $600 - $650 is a fair asking price. Do you think this is realistic?
    I can add pics later if needed. Thanks for your input.

2. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

If it is a usa one (signature aside), that is a extremely LOW price. Kind of on-par with a mij though, but i bet the signature could nab and extra $200.

3. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

An '84 would indicate a Japanese model. $600-650 sounds about right...I don't really care for autographs on guitars, especially those that I didn't get myself, so the autograph would have zero value for me, but it being on the back of the neck wouldn't bother me. For a Brad Paisley fan, it might hold some additional value, so you might want to ask something like $700-750 to start and see where it goes from there.

4. 6strang

Thank you for the replies. Yes it is a MIJ '62 reissue telecaster double bound body. Signature is on the backside of the headstock. Glad to see I'm not too far out on my pricing estimation.

5. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

If it's in very good condition, your lowest price should be about $600. If you aren't in a hurry, you could probably get $650. An autograph doesn't usually add much value to a guitar (beyond the value of the autograph itself) unless the guitar was owned by the person who signed it. As long as the autograph is removable, it shouldn't hurt the value much.

6. 6strang

Thank you for the reply.

7. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Add $50 if you remove the autograph.

8. Flugel

Flugel Member

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, the celeb signed thing is real hit and miss, but mostly miss I think. You'd have to be a BP fan (I am), and really want his autograph (I don't), and the guitar to make it worth more than you've already been quoted.

I remember buying a day glow orange Ibanez RG560 hanging on the wall Paul Gilbert had signed in the 80s. I couldn't get the sig off fast enough once I bought it. Seemed cheesy. Of course, looking back, the cheez was owning a day glow orange guitar and thinking it was cool. :nuts

10. gmann

gmann Member

Take off $50. if you don't.

11. NormH3

NormH3 Member

Now if it was a Paisley guitar signed by Brad...different story.

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree. I would, respectfully because I really dig Brad Paisley and you seem cool too, but I'd downplay the celebrity signature a little. OTOH, since there's a Youtube video of it happening, I don't think it's a detriment. It (BP's sig) may also not be much of a selling point for the guitar, but it's a pretty cool guitar on it's own.

Good Luck, Dana O.

13. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Check eBay sold listings. Honestly, for an early 80's MIJ $650 seems a little low. Like others have said the autograph won't add much value, and depending on your buyer might actually lower it a little.

I've got an 84 as well. Mine's a lefty, but based on what they've been going for I'd expect to get $750-$900